I'm back for round #4! Feeling lucky :)

Laura B

Well, here I am. My 4th W30. This one will actually only be 29 days. Last day will be 7/3 ;)

I saw some familiar faces as I quickly browsed the forum, so for those who may remember me, a quick update:

My father battled lung cancer most of 2012 and sadly passed away on 12/27/12. I was completely devastated even though I had known it was coming. I have been mostly burying my grief under my social, work and school lives. I've kept mostly paleo but have been drinking more than I'd like (one, maybe a couple drinks twice a week would be ideal). Hoping to get back my zen and deal with my problems instead of drowning them.

After my first W30 I applied for grad school to study nutrition. I am currently taking one of the pre-requisites for the program. Two more to take this Fall and I will be officially in.

I have a lovely fiance now. We just got engaged on 5/29 and could not be happier!

Leading up to this W30 we were on vacation for about 10 days. I did a lot of partying and eating foods I would never eat (um dinner rolls?? wtf) and I am in need of a serious food boot camp.

I am not going to weigh myself. I have not done so since day 30 of my first W30. I have no need for that nasty bug to live in my head. I will instead focus on how my clothes fit and more importantly, how my lifting/WODs improve at CrossFit.

I only have a couple of goals this go around. First and foremost is just to complete the darn thing. Secondly, no fruit for the first two weeks (my sugar dragon has been out of control), and then a max of one serving per day to be a part of the meal.

Day 1

Breakfast:

3 eggs cooked in coconut oil

sauteed kale in organic chicken stock (costco)

yellow squash

1/2 avocado

2 cups bulletproof coffee (coconut oil only)

Lunch:

(generally a salad during the week)

baby spring mix

cherry tomatoes

carrots

grilled chicken thigh

wholly guacamole packet

Pre-WOD:

1/2 chicken thigh and about 5 large olives

Weightlifting:
Front Squat (3 Rep Max)

Metcon:
Row, Push Up (Time)
3 RFT -
Row 250 m
25 Push Ups

Dinner:

ground beef sauteed with shredded carrots, onion & garlic with chopped broccoli. 1/2 a sweet potato

Day 2

Breakfast:

sauteed kale in organic chicken stock (costco)

zucchini

1/2 avocado

1 cups bulletproof coffee (coconut oil only), 1 cup black

Lunch:

baby spring mix

cherry tomatoes

carrots

grilled chicken thigh

wholly guacamole packet

Pre-WOD:

About 5 olives. Didn't have any protein I could eat.

Weightlifting
Snatch (1 Rep Max)

Metcon
Wall Ball, KBS, Jumping Lunges (AMRAP - Reps)
3 min AMRAP
Wall Ball 20/16
3 min Rest
2 min AMRAP
Alternating KBS 1.5/1pd
2 min Rest
1 min AMRAP
Jumping Lunges

Dinner:

ground beef sauteed with broccoli and zucchini & a sweet potato with ghee

Day 3

Breakfast:

steamed broccoli/cauli/carrot mix

1/2 avocado

1 cup bulletproof, 2 cups reg

Lunch:

baby spring mix

cherry tomatoes

carrots

grilled chicken thigh

wholly guacamole packet

Snack:

Was really hungry when I got home so I ate a couple olives and a few bites of yellow squash.

Dinner:

ground beef sauteed with broccoli and zucchini & a sweet potato with ghee

Thanks Bridget! Feels nice to be back. Doing my 4th W30 feels even better than the first. The best part is everyone knows what I'm doing now. It's like they finally get it (of course not enough to do it themselves).  :D

Day 4

Breakfast:

steamed cabbage & carrots

1/2 avocado

Lunch:

baby spring mix

cherry tomatoes

carrots

grilled chicken thigh

wholly guacamole packet

8 oz kombucha

Pre-WOD Snack:

1 AF hot dog & a few olives

Weightlifting
Back Squat (3x3 )

Metcon
For Time:
100 Burpees

Dinner:
Went to a "wedding party" party for my brother and his fiance. They were having a cookout, so we brought along some AF hot dogs. We each at 2 hot dogs and 2 plain burgers with lettuce and tomato. A definite lack of vegetables, but we were pressed for time to get there after leaving the gym.

Day 5

Breakfast:

2 cups BP coffee

3 eggs cookedin coconut oil

steamed cabbage and carrots

1/2 avocado

frank's red hot

Later tonight I am going to a bachelorette party for my future sister in law. I already told her I will not be drinking. We are starting the night poolside and I'm going to pack a dinner to eat at the pool. I am excited to go out with them. There is something so novel about being completely sober at a bar downtown.

Oh, and last night when I was explaining that I was on a sort of "detox" (trying not to get into it...never works ;) ), a friend of hers said "Tomorrow, I want to talk to you about wheat!" I like it when people are interested in this instead of confused. :)

Lunch

grilled ribeyes

zoodles

mushrooms & onions cooked with coconut oil

Dinner

kale

zoodles

mushrooms/onions

sweet potato

pork chop & small chicken thigh

Dinner was packed up and brought with me to the bachelorette party. SO GLAD I brought that. I knew they hadn't planned a dinner and if I was going to be up late running around I needed food!

Day 6

Breakfast

sweet potato "hash" (baked sw. pot. mashed with the chopped up leftover bits of zucc from the zoodles)

Lunch

small chicken thigh

few olives

Breakfast was kind of late, maybe around 10:30 or so. Lunch was around 1:30. Went to a bridal shower at 2:30 (BUSY weekend!) and didn't eat there. Typical awkward situation, but they didn't press too hard. They did have some delicious looking fruit, but I abstained. Got home around 5:45 and we went grocery shopping.

Dinner:

grilled ribeyes

grilled zucchini

sweet potato

Day 7

Breakfast

3 eggs

steamed cabbage

small sweet potato

couple dabs of ghee on the eggs and sweet potato

2 cups black coffee.

We are out of coconut oil! :o We like to get the giant tub from Costco and ran out right before we went out of town a couple weeks ago. We had intended to get some in CT while we were there but completely forgot. When we got back in town we bought a jar ($8 for 16 oz ugh) at Kroger. I bought the refined kind because it was like $5 more for the 16 oz jar of unrefined and it's only $15 for 54 oz at Costco. We finished off that small jar in just a week. The fiance is supposed to go to Costco tonight as I have to work late.

Lunch

red leaf lettuce

tomatoes

olives

grilled chicken

guacamole

8 oz kombucha

Dinner:

stir fry beef

kale & collards

onion gravy (random combination made by the fiance)

sweet potato

Day 8

Breakfast

steamed cabbage & carrots (this is Craig's favorite combination, so we have it often)

1/2 avocado

1c BP, 1c black coffee

Oh how I missed our coconut oil. The refined kind was just awful. The eggs would stick to the pan and the BP coffee wasn't right. This mornings cups was sooooo yummy and the eggs cooked perfectly with no sticking at all. I am almost embarrassed to admit that we purchased a bottle of refined coconut oil. Now that I have checked the process for refining, I will never buy it again.  -_-

Lunch

red leaf lettuce

cherry tomatoes

steamed carrots

chopped chicken thigh (small)

small portion of leftover steak

guacamole

small sweet potato

8 oz kombucha

Pre WOD:

small chicken thigh

Weightlifting

Snatch (1RM)

Metcon

For time:

15 Walking lunge steps
10 Pull-ups
25 Box jumps, 20''
20 Double-unders
15 Ring dips
10 Knees to elbows
15 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood / 1.5 pood
15 Sit-ups
10 Hang squat cleans, 35 / 25 # dumbbells
10 Back extensions
15 Wall ball shots, 20 / 16 # ball
3 Rope climb ascents

Scale as needed
Sub 3 HSPU for 1 Rope climb

Dinner

Paleo Slow Cooker: Paleo Beef Casserole

sweet potato

mushrooms

red & green peppers

ground beef cooked in ghee with onions & garlic

tomato sauce

I liked this recipe, but I felt it was lacking something. The fiance really liked it. I am thinking it will taste better after a day in the fridge. I only used 1.3 lbs of beef instead of 2 so that might have made a difference. I also think it needs more spices, maybe even a jalapeno with the peppers. It was so nice to have dinner ready for us when we got home from the gym!

Day 9

Breakfast

cabbage & carrots

bulletproof coffee

Lunch

red leaf lettuce

cherry tomatoes

carrots

chicken thigh

guacamole

small sweet potato

pre wod

smoked salmon and spoon of coconut butter (not together!)

Weightlifting

Shoulder Press (1RM)

Metcon

For Time

5 Rounds of:
5 x Dead Lifts (275# men / 185# women)
10 x Burpees

Dinner

leftovers of paleo beef casserole

cup of stress relief yogi tea

Day 10

Woohoo 1/3 of the way there! This W30 has been flying by. I think it is because I am crazy busy. Haven't had many cravings or crazy dreams yet. I am having trouble going to sleep. It's not that I can't, but for some reason I just want to stay awake. It's like I want to drag the day out for some reason, even though I looovvee sleep. I am going to work on sleep for the next 10 days and see how I do. I remember being able to bounce right out of bed during my first W30. I think I am too stimulated right before bed. I have to do schoolwork at some point, though! Usually I do it right before bed. 

Breakfast:

1c BP, 1c reg coffee

steamed cabbage and yellow squash

1/2 avocado

Lunch

green leaf lettuce

cherry tomatoes

carrots

chicken thighs

guacamole

small sweet potato

Dinner

2 aidell's chicken & apple sausages

zucchini, yellow squash and onions

Had intended to get some schoolwork done and get in bed by 10. All was going to plan until some severe storms came in. Had to duck into the basement. Brought my laptop down, but I of course was not productive down there. Too busy texting, checking FB & Twitter for updates. Then I got busy on schoolwork when the security company for our family's business called and said the alarm was going off. Drug the fiance out of bed to go check it out. All was fine, but it was about 10pm by the time we got home and could go to bed. Watched an episode of Real Housewives of Orange County and then went to sleep. 

Day 11

I really felt that this was going by rather quickly until the Fiance asked what day we were on. When I told him he moaned about how much longer we have. I think he was a bit sleepy and cranky, though. Overall, I am feeling pretty great. My poop has been irregular, but I am attributing that to stress and having a lot going on in my life. Lots to do for school while still trying to fit in CF and social time. I'm glad I took last night off as I had intended to get a WOD in. I am learning that I won't have as much time for CF as I would like. I think I will start running a couple days a week to stay active and save some time. 

Breakfast

I know this is not in the spirit of the W30, but I only had 2 cups of bulletproof coffee. When the Fiance has a meeting in the morning (usually once a month), I kind of don't eat breakfast :o  :unsure: . The problem is this: I can't fry eggs. Okay, I can fry them, but I can't flip them. He even steamed some cabbage and carrots for me, but I just decided to stick to the coffee. I could have scrambled some eggs, but I just didn't feel like it.

I don't know why, okay?? I am feeling somewhat embarrassed confessing on the W30 forum, to be honest. I just know this is against the W30. Might be fine any other time, but not W30. I almost feel as though I ate some cheese. I'm not beating myself up, but I am definitely feeling a little regretful about it.

I think I am actually getting a little tired of our standard breakfast. Thinking about whipping up a frittata for next week!

Lunch

green leaf lettuce

carrots

cherry tomatoes

cucumber (from our garden!)

guacamole

chicken thighs

sweet potato.

Pre-WOD

small chicken thigh & 1/2 avocado

WOD:

Practiced strict pull ups (subbed with barbell rows)

Annie

50-40-30-20-10

Double Unders

Sit ups

Subbed Singles 3:1

Dinner

Sautee of:

onions

peppers

kale

ground beef

on top of steamed sweet potatoes

with 1/2 avocado

Ah sweetie, you can fry an egg without flipping it you know :) Over a med heat heat your fat, crack in your egg(s) & then *cover* either with a lid or a bigger pot until the film over the yolk turns opaque & the white is set - lovely.

What Derval said! What about keeping some hard boiled eggs for those times. For me the food is feling a little boring on Day 45. I'd like someone to cook for me. I'm envious of your gaden cucumbers!

Thanks ladies. I think I was just unprepared to make time to cook that morning. I am blessed to have my fiance take care of breakfast every morning while I get ready for work. Usually I can make the time when I know I have to cook. And I really need to learn to flip them eggs, anyway!

Day 12

Breakfast

Collards

onions

cabbage

carrots

3 eggs

1/2 avocado

Lunch

home smoked salmon with homemade mayo slathered on top

roasted cocoa cauli

steamed carrots

(This was quite a feat in and of itself. We are usually very bad about eating lunch on the weekends. We sleep in so we eat breakfast much later than normal. Then we get busy doing things around the house and our normal lunch--salads--have already been eaten up. And then it's time for dinner.)

Dinner

Went to our friends house and picked up some steaks and peppers to grill. And some watermelon. First fruit I have had since starting the W30. It was really good, and although I didn't eat it after dinner, it didn't spoil my dinner. ;) Still feel like I should hold out on the fruit at home. It was a good time to have some fruit.

Being involved in CrossFit makes doing a W30 a little easier since a lot of people understand what Paleo is and also understand the Whole 30. Although apparently some people think that Vodka is Whole 30??  :rolleyes:  The only Whole 30 approved vodka is WATER.  B) We sipped on seltzer water while our friends drank cider, wine or vodka. I truly enjoy my W30's and being sober. I think it is a bit more difficult for the fiance, but I take it as a special time.

Day 13

Breakfast

2 c bulletproof coffee

3 eggs

sweet potatoes fried with carrots & oniones

steamed cabbage

1/2 avocado

Lunch

leftover beef and veg from firday

Dinner

chicken sausage

peppers

mushrooms

onions

sweet potatoes

Day 14

Breakfast

broccoli & carrots

3 eggs in coconut oil

1/2 avocado

1 c bulletproof coffee

Lunch

50/50 mix (spring mix/baby spinahc)

tomatoes

strawberries

chicken thigh

guacamole

Pre-WOD

hot dog & some slaw made with homemade mayo

Weightlifting

Deadlift 1RM

Metcon

Karen (150 wall ball shots for time)

I PR'd on both yesterday. The deadlift by 20# and Karen by over 2:00. Super happy about that!

Dinner:

Ground beef

green peppers

onions

tomato

sweet potato

green apple w/cinnamon

TMI alert: my digestion is not what I expected it to be while on W30. I don't know if maybe I just have a lot going on or I am more stressed than I realize or what. I have been taking enzymes and some kombucha, but I think it must be a combination of too much fat and stress. I had anxiety leading up to Father's Day (first without my dad). I did not go at all yesterday and then today I had diarrhea. After that I think I will stick to black coffee the rest of this week and maybe that will help it. 

Day 15

Breakfast

3 eggs in coconut oil

steamed cabbage & broccoli

1/2 avocado

2 cups bulletproof coffee

Lunch

tomatoes

strawberries

chicken thigh

guacamole

Handful of pistachios when I got home form work, and then a little coconut butter

Dinner

broiled pork chops from the farmer (yum)

kale, cabbage and onions sauteed together

sweet potato

Day 16

Breakfast

2 cups black coffee

steamed cabbage & carrots

1/2 avocado

1/2 of a really small sweet potato (split with the fiance after breakfast)

We both feel like we need more carbs. I personally think my body responds better when it gets more carbs and he has a physical job. So we are going to try and eat more sweet potatoes, which is wonderful because we both love them. He also had some runny poo the other day and I think a lack of good fiber is contributing to that.

Lunch

tomatoes

strawberries

chicken thigh

guacamole

small sweet potato

Pre-WOD

hot dog, some coconut butter and pistachios

Gymnastics

Double-Unders (Practice)

Metcon