What Consitutes a Slip or Accident?

Let's start by saying I would DEFINITELY say a slip is you go to work and someone bought fresh hot glazed donuts (yum!) I believe that would mean to start over. (I would have 2-3, haha.)

So.....let's say you start your challenege and order something due to traveling for work....come to find out it doesn't TASTE paleo and a few swallows/bites due to how sweet it is and you toss it out.

Do you start over? I know the plan says no slips or cheats but how far would you go to define a slip or cheat?

• Moderators

Accidentally eating something with sugar in it is probably not a reason to start over. Willfully eating something with sugar in it is. The real issue comes with things like wheat, soy, MSG, etc. Even a little can cause trouble and keep you from having the best Whole30 experience. And sometimes waiters assure you there is no wheat or MSG, but, if you are sensitive, you get sick and you find out there was. Such things invite starting over.

Kew,

it depends on what day you're on when you accidentally ingest an off-plan food, what you accidentally ingested, and what your goal is for the program.

If it's really early on (Day 3, for example), regardless of what you ate, it's easy to start over and call it a Whole 33. If it's mid-program, and you were accidentally slipped some added sugar (say, in a dressing), you can decide for yourself whether you really want to log 30 days perfectly (in which case you start over), or whether you want to call it a learning experience and keep going.

If you ingest something that has the serious potential to compromise the healing process, particularly in the gut, we recommend starting over regardless of what day you are on, as those foods can break the "reset" process you are trying to accomplish. (This is why we say "no cheats," not even a bite of your friend's pizza or a lick of the cake batter.) This is especially important if you are doing the program in an effort to determine how the food you are eating is affecting your symptoms or medical condition.

Sugar isn't typically going to break the "reset" process, but everything else (including alcohol) is suspect. Does that make sense? Ultimately, of course, it's always up to you.

Best,

Melissa

I think I may just keep going and make myself more aware of what I'm doing. I'll prob end up doing it again anyway to encourage my boyfriend. He is addicted to pizza, hot pockets, and burgers unfortunately......it'll prob be most difficult for him.

• 4 years later...

Arg, pretty upset with myself. I'm on day 3 and I make a smoothie everyday for my boyfriend in the morning. I use brown rice protein powder in his smoothies. When I make them (haven't made him one the past week) I usually taste it before I pour it in his cup to see if it needs more fruit or kale or whatever. I tasted it today and completely forgot about the brown rice pp I put in. It was no more than a spoon full and I noticed right after I tasted. This will definitely not happen again. Should I reset? It's only day 3 so it's not the worst, but it was pretty minor. Help!

• Administrators
Just now, Vleontios said:

Arg, pretty upset with myself. I'm on day 3 and I make a smoothie everyday for my boyfriend in the morning. I use brown rice protein powder in his smoothies. When I make them (haven't made him one the past week) I usually taste it before I pour it in his cup to see if it needs more fruit or kale or whatever. I tasted it today and completely forgot about the brown rice pp I put in. It was no more than a spoon full and I noticed right after I tasted. This will definitely not happen again. Should I reset? It's only day 3 so it's not the worst, but it was pretty minor. Help!

You can read the article below to decide for yourself but brown rice can be pretty disruptive to the gut because it is a grain. Take a read of the "Grain Manifesto" for a take on why grains are so problematic: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/grain-manifesto/

On 1/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, Vleontios said:

Why not just add 3 days on to the end of your W30? It could be a long three days, but will be worth it. It doesn't "undo" all the work you've done so far, but does make sure you're getting a "clean" place to do reintros.

Good luck!

Hi guys I have a question....I accidentally ate some Justin's peanut butter last night.  I thought I purchased almond butter but brain farted during my shopping trip.  I just dipped a few apples in so it wasn't an obscene amount.  I'm on day 10....do I start over?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, EmDub22 said:

Hi guys I have a question....I accidentally ate some Justin's peanut butter last night.  I thought I purchased almond butter but brain farted during my shopping trip.  I just dipped a few apples in so it wasn't an obscene amount.  I'm on day 10....do I start over?

As mentioned above in this thread, please read the article linked in my signature and in this thread and make that decision, knowing that peanuts are a legume and legumes can be very disruptive to the gut

I have a question for the group and moderators. I'm currently on day 10 of my whole30 or day 2 if I start over.  I accidentally bought peanut butter instead of almond butter...the label's on Justin's are practically identical!  Anyways I dipped a few apples in it the other day and while I've read up on a lot of the advice for starting over vs. not and I know ultimately it is up to me I wanted to crowd source some feedback on this.  It was my fault that I slipped but I was not intending on slipping of giving myself a cheat.  What should I do?

If it were me, I would consider myself at Day 2. For my first Whole 30, I did notice a huge digestive effect from peanut butter specifically, as opposed to other legume-based foods. I did a similar thing with peanut-oil roasted nuts on a single digit day, and decided to 'go extra' (which felt more like an accomplishment, as opposed to 'starting over,' but it's still getting in 30 days without what might be really inflammatory foods for your digestive system). Peanut butter was a food I ate a ton of before, and never imagined could be having drastic digestive consequences.

It's you're program, your mental health, your body, etc. I don't know how sanctioned it would be to start reintro on your scheduled day 31 with something that's not a legume, maybe rice? And go an extra ten days without legumes? If you're slow-rolling your reintro, you may have only had 1 or two off-plan food items at that point. But if you are experiencing crazy responses to the reintro foods, and then you try legumes, you won't know which is the culprit. Yeah, I just talked myself into getting in the Whole 30 without peanut butter.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, EmDub22 said:

I have a question for the group and moderators. I'm currently on day 10 of my whole30 or day 2 if I start over.  I accidentally bought peanut butter instead of almond butter...the label's on Justin's are practically identical!  Anyways I dipped a few apples in it the other day and while I've read up on a lot of the advice for starting over vs. not and I know ultimately it is up to me I wanted to crowd source some feedback on this.  It was my fault that I slipped but I was not intending on slipping of giving myself a cheat.  What should I do?

Please don't cross post the same topic over multiple threads as per forum rules.  I've merged your new thread with the old thread where you first asked the question.

As far as starting over, peanuts are a legume and they can be very disruptive.  It depends on what your motivation is for doing the program.  If you want to determine food intolerances, then starting over is really your best option.

Archived