Paleo Bread

We have a local bakery that makes Paleo Bread.  Here are the ingredients.  I wonder if this is Ok?   Purified Water, Blanched Almond Flour, Organic Coconut Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda.

• Gluten Free*
  • Grain Free
  • Yeast Free
  • Dairy Free
  • Soy Free
  • Low Calorie
  • High Protein
  • High Fiber
  • Low Carbs
  • Starch Free**

* The Paleo Bread is baked in a dedicated Gluten Free facility.
** Since Coconut is not a nut, Paleo Bread Coconut is Starch and Nut free.

http://www.julianbakery.com/Paleo-Bread/

As far as I know the ingredients are all legit but Paleo Bread is not when on W30. Psyllium is the only ingredient I would be wary off. I've seen this recipe before and remembered googling psyllium and not getting a satisfying answer on it.

1) Bread and any baked-like goods, even if made from all compliant ingredients, are supposed to be ditched for the W30.

2) I can tell you, that bread tastes like poo! It's small, thin, has a weird texture (dry sponge?) and doesn't even taste like bread. I paid $10 for it too...ate one piece and chucked the rest.

I have experienced that bread, and it will literally suck the moisture out of your esophagus and get stuck going down (way more than just stale bread would -- seriously do not try to eat it without a big glass of water close at hand). So I say, don't waste the $7/loaf even when you're back off Whole30.

I've never tried it, we don't get it overhere but having been gluten free for 12 years pre W30, I can attest that most gluten free breads are about as appetising as the paper they're wrapped in. Anyway, as others have said, all paleofying baked goods, bread, crackers, pancakes etc is totally out during a W30. It's so much more satisfying to eat real food than pale imitations.

2) I can tell you, that bread tastes like poo! It's small, thin, has a weird texture (dry sponge?) and doesn't even taste like bread. I paid $10 for it too...ate one piece and chucked the rest.

People keep telling me that I should have gluten free bread or pasta, and look very confused when I say no thanks - they can't seem to understand that a) it tastes like bleurg, and b ) I don't really miss it (unless I'm walking past a bakery with the smell of yeast wafting past, which makes me momentarily yearn for vegemite on toast).

People keep telling me that I should have gluten free bread or pasta, and look very confused when I say no thanks - they can't seem to understand that a) it tastes like bleurg, and b ) I don't really miss it (unless I'm walking past a bakery with the smell of yeast wafting past, which makes me momentarily yearn for vegemite on toast).

I've had to avoid gluten for years and pre W30 I really resented that. I ate a lot of commercial gluten free products and constantly moaned about how they never tasted right or cooked properly. I just ralised, when I read your post, that since coming to W30, I am so over that. I never even think about being gluten free and I certainly couldn't care less about it. Now I eat real food, the way it's meant to be - not a bunch of chemicals pretending to be food that's not een good for us in the first place :)

We were talking at work today about how I don't eat gluten and the gluten free stuff is crap, and one girl, who is pretty severely gluten intolerant, said to me "You're such a good baker - you'll totally be able to make some gluten free bread that tastes good! I'll be hitting you up for that". So I might give it a go for her as I really like to bake, but personally, I don't think it's worth the time and effort, and bread-products are a bit of a no-brakes food for me anyway.

Archived