Best Places to Shop!

bnlauren

grocery stores?  what exactly are you looking for?

I like to shop at Trader Joes - I get my coconut milk, almond butter, pecans, larabars and natural fruit strips there. 

BJs / costcos - chicken breasts, frozen vegetables (broccoli and green beans), light olive oil, and sausage.

Safeway/Shoppers - meats.

Sadly for my wallet, I buy most of my food at Whole Foods.  I have a fruit/veggie/pastured egg CSA starting soon.  I had to pay for that in advance, so it will be like getting food for free (I know, not really).  I go to Trader Joe's once in a blue moon.  Farmers' markets are just starting up in my neck of the woods, and I hope to get to some once in a while.  A lot of folks have great luck at Costco.  I keep meaning to check it out...

I think it all depends on what is in your area.  Check out local stores that you haven't been to before to see if you like their produce, meats, etc.  See if there are any farmer's markets or organic markets.  I think most people end up going to a couple of different places on a regular basis depending on sales, availability of high quality and/or organic/grassfed items.

I had some trouble sourcing specialty items like coconut butter and coconut aminos, but I was able to purchase those online through Amazon.  I also purchased tallow and duck fat online through the facebook page of FatWorks.

I have never been much of a coupon person, and I don't think there are many coupons for meats and produce, but I would love to hear about other people's ideas!

Another idea, if you have an extra freezer, is to buy meat in bulk when it is on sale.

Oh, I should have said in my previous post that I buy certain specialty items online.  Like kaiser179, I use Amazon here and there for things like avocado oil and Red Boat Fish Sauce.  I've ordered ghee from Pure Indian Foods, and I regularly purchase sugar-free bacon and sausage from U.S. Wellness Meats.  If you subscribe to the U.S. Wellness newsletter, they often provide discount codes. 

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, that is my favorite place to go to for Whole30.  I don't buy a lot of veggies/fruit there because it can be more expensive than regular grocery stores (except for mushrooms..always cheaper at TJ's) and if I am going to pay more, I'll go to the farmer's market and support the local farmers and get truly fresh veggies and fruit (strawberries this time of year are amazeballs! :D ).  They do have some convenience veggies like packaged shredded brussel sprouts, veggies ready to go in the microwave to steam, and frozen veggies that don't take too long to cook.  Their prices on raw nuts are better than a lot of places and they have a good variety.

I buy my Kerrygold unsalted butter there to make my own ghee (so simple and makes the hosue smell like Christmas cookies (I don't eat cookies at Christmas but I LOVE the smell! ^_^ )!)  It's a lot cheaper than anywhere else I have found it.  They also carry peeled cage-free hard-boiled eggs for a decent price if you are like me and can't cook a perfect hard-boiled egg even though I can make homemade pierogies and a plethera of other foods!   I also buy things like coconut oil, sardines in olive oil, tuna, grass-fed ground beef, organic chicken, prosciutto, Applegate Naturals Roast Beef, and flowers to put on the table so I have something beautiful to look at when I sit down to eat.  ;)

I like going to Whole Foods too but that is definitely more costly.  I typically try to stick with grass-fed meats, wild seafood, and pastured chickens when I go there.  Everything else is tons more expensive!  I was able to find Coconut Aminos there for just over $7 for the bottle.  For post-Whole30, I was able to find organic wines with no added sulfites.  I always check their sales, especially Friday's one-day sales....typically great prices on meats and seafood.

I get produce, meat, eggs and staples at my local grocery store (Market Basket in my area). I'd say I get 80% of my items here.

Whole Foods for coconut milk (with no sulfites), organic balsamic vinegar (with no added sulfites), organic dijon mustard (with no white wine), and ghee.

Trader Joe's for sugar-free chicken broth (their Organic Free Range is both gluten free and sugar free), and I will likely get coconut oil and coconut milk from them in the future (their versions were cheaper than my grocery store and Whole Foods, and were compliant).

Our local Farmers Market just started up again this week - will likely get produce from them this summer.

Archived