New Beginnings and Why does June Seem so Long?

Lizzard77

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finally got myself back into working out.  I was so beat the first two weeks and I swore I would start again Monday.  Monday came and went, as did Tuesday.  But Wednesday I pulled on the old kicks and sports bra (I think it might be fitting a little looser perhaps, maybe) and popped in JM Shed and Shred.  Whew!  It felt good to work out, I mean really good!  Usually I enjoy weight lifting and trudge my way through cardio but, I could breathe and I had energy to actually keep up.  So today I pulled out my 60 minute Zumba and just completed it.  It's amazing how much energy I have to push myself really hard.  Gosh it feels great!

Not feeling food much today. Breakfast and lunch were not log worthy. Dinner: 8oz grilled burger patty with tomatoes and a skoche ( 1/2 thumb) mayo. Sweet potato fries with another skoche of mayo for dipping, roasted lemony carrots and cilantro lime slaw.

Going to the beach tomorrow with my bestie and her 3 yr old son. Packing more slaw, grilled chicken, a hard boiled egg, some nuts, cauliflower hummus and gazpacho. I don't want to feel deprived whilst they eat boardwalk fries!

post-13029-13717666111756_thumb.jpg

Dinner looks delicious whether you are feeling food or not today! Great plan for the beach. Oh how I long for the beach. I was last in Jersey in 2007 and had a glorious day at the beach with my friend that concluded with a right proper sunburn but was so worth it. We may have glorious mountains here in WA but our beaches leave very very much to be desired.

Beth, I love the beach.  I vowed to go more than twice this year.  We are just an hour away and I rarely get a chance to get out there.  Although my other bestie's parent just bought a house there so hoping for many invites (they love me)! 

I've only been to Seattle once under undesirable conditions but, all I remember is there were a lot of places to go drinking! I would like to spend more time in that part of the country.  My mom used to live in Monterey Bay, CA, which was wonderful, but now she is back in the Dirty Jerz!

I am sure I will have a wicked sunburn as well but I can't wait to get it!

I'm kinda over this cooking thing, my brain is a little worn out from coming up with stuff to eat as, I hate eating the same thing all the time.  However, I do want to go out with a bang, next week being the last of my W30.  Perhaps I will just do some easy peasy stuff over the weekend and then start fresh on Monday.  The weekends have seemed to be a bit of a recharge for me.

If you make it out to Seattle again let me know! I don't notice all the places to drink alcohol (haven't had a drink in close to 9 years) but I love all the coffee shops.  :wub: Also make sure you visit Seattle during our summer (July 5-mid Sept).  ;)

When I get worn out with cooking I just go for simple things. I also am only cooking for myself for the most part so I have lots of leftovers to go through. 

Whelp, I def got a whopper of a burn!  I put on sunblock everywhere but somehow forgot to reapply to my legs so they are crispy.  I was in so much pain last night that I took an Advil, my first medication of any sort since the start of my W30.  I guess I kinda feel like I failed some.  I wanted to go the whole time without having to take medication but I guess this was an ok reason :(

On a happier note, I did really well with food yesterday!  For lunch I ate the chicken thighs I brought as well as an avocado, although I forgot to bring utensils so I peeled the avocado and ate it like an apple, kinda funny.  I tried to slurp some of my gazpacho out of the jar but that just caused juices to dribble down my chin and into my cleavage, not the most fun feeling.  So I gave up on have enough veggies and vowed to eat double my portion for dinner.  Later when we went walking on the boardwalk, my friend's son of course wanted ice cream, which didn't bother me too much as I don't really like ice cream but, when my friend bought boardwalk fries I just about have heart failure when I smelled them.  I hadn't planned on spending money on food but I was having a bit of a grumbling in my tummy so I treated myself to aa doz clams on the half shell.  They had a big tankard of something they called Tobasco, but it came out all gloopy so I asked it I could see the bottle they used to refill it.  it was not Tobasco and had sugar in it.  I explained that I couldn't eat sugar and the guy reached into the fridge and said "Well then, I will share my private stock with you"  and handed me a small unopened bottle of tobasco!  So sweet!!!!!

The rest of the day went great.  Both my friend and her son fell asleep in the car on the way home, too cute and I wish I could have joined them.  Dinner was blackened tilapia with roasted cauliflower and carrots, and cilantro lime slaw.  Took a soak in a vinegar bath, slathered with aloe and was sound asleep by 10:00 (really early for me)!

Off to the farmer's market and meat farmer to stock up for.........MY LAST WEEK!!!!!! 

Back from the markets!  Not as big a veggie haul this week but spent money on meat and seafood.

1 head Speckled Trout Romaine (green with red flecks)

1 head Reg Romaine

1 head Oak leaf Romaine

Mizuna Mustard

Mustard

Sorrel

2 Zucchini, 2 Yellow Squash

Arugola

4 Kirby Cukes to make fermented pickles

Basil tops

Broccoli

New Potatoes (for the hubinator)

Burdock Root

Garlic Scapes -lots for pesto and grilling

Maitake Mushroom

Early White Flesh Yams

Fresh Water Chestnuts

2 lbs pork belly

1 lb head on wild caught shrimp

1 lb baby octopus

Spending the rest of the afternoon doing my weekly cook-up.  I'd really like to enjoy the lovely weather but I think my skin had enough sun yesterday!  Will have to get out to the garden tomorrow as I've got radishes, green beans, and beets coming in.  And a little weeding is in order as well!

Yay! 6 straight hours of sleep! Woke up on my own around 5 then drifted until 7 and am wide awake and ready to take on the day! Gonna try to get out in the garden this AM whilst it's still coolish. Lots of weeding to be done and hubinator is setting up our two rain barrels. Then this afternoon we're taking the bike into the farmlands to pick up our eggs for the week and cruise around a bit. Our darm headsets aren't working so we'll need to mess with them and get them working before our trip to Florida in July. Very frustrating, but at least Ifigured out how to connect it to my phone and pick up radio so I can cruise the bounty of South Jersey rockin out to a little Sleater-Kinney!

Anyway, breakfast: Sweet potatoes and jicama with chorizo, scapes, and tatsoi. I added a touch much coconut oil so we'll call that my fat portion!

post-13029-13719882733031_thumb.jpg

Sorry you got such a bad burn at the beach. Have you tried putting coconut oil on a sunburn? I've done it several times and I think it helps a lot. I always feel like the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding only with coconut oil rather than windex.  :lol:

Also on the pain relievers...I've switched to Tylenol over Advil when I'm truly desperate as it is easier on the stomach. 

So much yummy food over the past few days! Lovely!

Another successful trip to the beach, this time sans sunburn!  I went with my 10 yr old sister yesterday.  Packed a big 'ol chicken salad over mixed greens and some gazpacho with avocado.  I wasn't 3 bites in when my sister, eating her lunch consisting of pretzel sticks, some weird yogurt drink with more chemicals than food, a chewy fruit thing and strawberries (at least), asked if she could have a bit of mine.  I jumped at the opportunity for food education moment!  She took one bite and asked if she could share the rest with me asking if I wanted some of hers.  I declined and she asked why I never ate what the rest of the family was eating.  I gently explained how the Whole30 worked and why I choose not to eat certain foods.  She said "Oh!  Like our Mama eats, but more!"  (our mom eats mostly paleo) then she said "I wish my mom would eat more like you guys, she gets sick a lot and you never are".  My mom and I have been trying to get her partner to at least try a modified paleo for awhile now, she has some health problems that would be greatly helped by a change in diet.  I told Izzi that sometimes people had to get sick before they decided to make themselves get better and her mom would in her own time.  She seemed to get it and quickly finished off the rest of my lunch, thankfully I brought a hard boiled egg too!!!

Later in the car she asked a little more about food and what type of stuff to eat.  i told her she didn't have to worry too much about it but there were some things she could do to make changes.  Like when they pick up from the CSA she could help clean and process everything as soon as they got home so it wouldn't go to waste.  She could ask for more fruits and vegetables with meals instead of bread and gravy.  I didn't want to freak her out, simply wanted to plant some seeds. 

This morning was a bit of a disaster including, non-compliant sausage that the guy at the market read the ingredients and it was compliant, but the ingredient sticker had brown-sugar on it.  Not taking a chance and broke into tears (I think I'm PMS-ing).  Hubs got upset because he thought I was crying because he asked if I would make him some regular breakfast potatoes.  I went into his office to explain why I was crying and came out to thick smoke filling the house and 2 cups of coconut oil ruined and the dog freaking out.  After I finished making non-compliant scotch eggs for the hubs I made my own breakfast and am now eating it a full hour and a half later than I usually eat so my whole day is thrown off.  As soon as I log outta here I have to go wipe the counters and mop the floor to clean up the spattered coconut oil from when I fell apart and tried to burn down the house.

All that being said, I must remember that the way my mouth turns is how my day will go so, turning on some Ani D. really loud, filling the sink with hot soapy water and getting stuck in!  The windows are open, the birds are singing, a light breeze is wafting through the house.  It really is a beautiful day and there is no reason to let a little non-compliant sausage ruin it!

Derval, lolz!!!!!!!!!! I needed that!

Anyway, made a quick recovery and proceeded to boil my kitchen. Sitting down to lunch finally and the scent of Murphy's oil soap is in the air (I looove it). Lunch: Giant salad with mixed spicy greens, olives, chicken, hb egg, cabbage, mixed herbs, asparagus, almonds, and creamy balsamic vinaigrette. I even splurged and opened a bottle of Orange Beet Spice booch. Much recovered from this morning's tearfest.

post-13029-13721826013842_thumb.jpg

Yay for an awesome beach day with your sister! Get em while they are young! I'm sorry this morning was so bad but I'm glad you made the decision to turn it around. So much of our attitude and mood is dependent on choice. I need to remember that more and not let bad incidents turn into bad days!

Oh my goodness, the garden is glorious right now! In 1 more week I will be grocery shopping in my back yard. This is absolutely my favorite time of year, even if NJ is slightly akin to hell on earth in the heat of summer. Managed to sneek a workout in yesterday and today even though both days have been a bit thrown off but hey, roll with the punches baby.

I am feeling really good and energetic. When my mom saw me the other day she said I looked fresher, almost even younger, that my features were lifting and smoothing some. Ok, I'll take it! I actually didn't hate the pics I took of me and my sister at the beach either. I've been thinking that after my reintro and week in Fl, I'm just gonna hop right back on W30 eating and stay there for a bit, at least another month to really get my self ok n order. My hubs and I have been trying to get preggers for a little while to no avail so I'm hoping this has and will help. Gonna get serious about it again in the fall. So if I keep W30ing and get healthier perhaps my ovaries will follow. Course that is ruling out any issues with him.....we'll see!

Dinner last night was TG stuffing meatballs, mashed cauliflower and turnips, and carrots roasted in ghee, delishballz! Leftovers for lunch todah with an avocado and cucumber salad. Breakfast was plantains with two eggs fried and kale with scapes and chorizo. Dinner? Salmon of some sort and veggies. Not sure what all just yet. I may do saffron cauli-rice and roasted beets, we'll see what jumps out at me!

Oh yah, harvested 4 more kohlrabi this AM and am going to make a kohlrabi kraut and kohlrabi fermented pickles. Yummers!

post-13029-13722692753969_thumb.jpg

Needed a little bit of inspiration as food got a bit of boring with all my crazy restrictions. This log is totally the place to get it. Love for the food is in every post, so awesome.

Don't sweat the stupid sausage thing, you are doing fantastic. Whatcha have in your garden? 

Thanks Nadia!  I love love love to cook, been feeling a bit over it recently but having a well stocked fridge has helped me throw stuff together.

This year in our garden we have:

3 types of beets

Green beans

kohlrabi,

2 types of tomatoes

Potatoes

Swiss Chard

Patty pan squash

2 types of cukes

3 types of carrots

eggplant

Husk cherries

Romanesco cauliflower

2  types of lettuce

2 types of radish

spinach

Oregano

Basil

Dill

Lavender

Parsley

Bee Balm

I preserve a lot of stuff so we can eat it over the winter.  This year is the biggest garden we've had so far but i love knowing that I will have little jars of summer waiting for me all winter!  What we can't grow, we buy from local farmers and preserve that as well. Our goal this year is to can enough stuff so that we can be mostly sustainable on our own foods, not including meat or dairy.

Wow, very ambitious plan! Veggies list is amazing (scallop mushrooms in ghee - rolling eyes). My granny is a queen of preserving and she has all of it in her garden. Her best thing was pickled green tomatoes! Homesick lol. I was lazy and have only made kraut and preserved lemons (had a Meyer lemons best ever) this year. 

Archived