Day 8 - What am I doing wrong?

Bessanio

I'm having the same issue! every morning for the past 8 days (since I've started) I'm getting these headaches. Example of my typical breakfast

2 x boiled eggs

1 slice of applegate turkey bacon

1 x cup of veg

with water

Some days i'll switch the boiled egg for a fried egg (in coconut oil) and the turkey bacon for applegate pork bacon. I've stopped drinking black coffee before I started my whole30. I've followed the meal template by the book.

Yesterday (June 6th)

Breakfast - 

2 x boiled eggs

1 x applegate roasted red pepper chicken sausage

1 x cup of veg

Lunch -

9oz of grilled chicken with pesto (no parmesan cheese)

1.5 cups of spicy veg (broccoli, tomato & red onion)

CrossFit - 

3 reps x ran 200 meters

3 reps x 90 pushups

Dinner - 

3oz of Jerk Chicken (skinless)

3oz of slow roasted pork shoulder (lean)

1 x cup of stir fry veg

What am I doing wrong? I'm feeling really bloated today. I've also noticed that I'm not "Going or #2" as frequently as I think i should, like maybe 1 a week. Is this normal? am I missing somthing?

PLEASE HELP! getting frustrated. 

How soon before W30 did you give up coffee? Long enough that you're not going through caffeine withdrawals right now?  Personally I don't see anything in your diet that's a red flag for headaches...but I do see a couple things wrong. You don't appear to be eating any fat?? Your meals also seem really light, especially for a guy, and doing Crossfit. You should have pre/post WO meals in there too.

Going once a week is not normal. I'm not sure if this could be a result of the missing fat? For general digestive health/bloating a lot of people take a probiotic and/or digestive enzymes. A magnesium supplement like Natural Calm can also help get things moving (too fast, if you take too much).

I was getting bad heards and started adding a sweet potato to my breakfast - that helped tremendously.  Also, you need 2-3 cups of veggies at every meal and more fat!  adding half an avocado or handful of nuts will help.

I would double your veggies at every meal and consider adding more fat.  Are you eating any raw veggies?  Raw veggies can lead to bloating since they are more difficult to digest.  Try cooking everything.

Are you eating any starchy veggies, like sweet potato or squash?

Applegate is likely non-compliant.  I think it is almost impossible to find a brand name bacon without brown or cane sugar.  Even the really good, uncured kinds.  

Headaches could still be from coffee, although only in the morning is interesting.  Are the headaches when you wake or after you eat?

Pooping less?  Up the fluids and the fats.  First thing upon waking, drink a warm cup of water with lemon if you are avoiding coffee/tea.  Eating buttercup, kabocha, acorn or red kiri squash really helps me (roasted).

You are a guy, right (clever me looks at your picture)?  You need to eat more.  I eat that much on days I exercise and I weigh 118lbs at 5'3".  Now isn't the time to cut back to lose weight.  Now is the time to reboot your body to taste and process real food.  

I had a headache for two weeks, but then it went away and hasn't ever returned.  I'd agree on adding in fats and more veggies.  Your body will use the nutrients.  I'm stunned at how much we can eat and still lose weight without trying.

As for #2 - that's a weird one for us still.  We still don't have a new normal, but I don't mind because overall my body feels so much better.

Archived