Hiking snacks?

cupkayke

I'm going for a hike today, about 45 minutes from home. I'm making breakfast right now, but is it ok for me to bring some nuts and fruit to eat on the trail/on my way home? It's not like I can stop anywhere for lunch, and I'm sure I'll be hungry after my hike on the drive back to the city. I'm trying to keep my snack dragon down, but I also don't want to get hungry and then stop for something non-compliant. Thanks!

Probably too late for today, but I've also found it pretty easy and convenient to pack some HB eggs, vege sticks, avocado dip for hiking. This actually makes me want to get out for a hike this weekend - as long as it's not bucketing down!

• 8 months later...

I am also a walker/hiker and I walk every day.  On long walks I will be gone for up to 4-5 hours so I need some easy snack around all the time.  I have looked on line at some bars by Nakd and also Rude Health.  Does anyone know if they are considered Whole 30 compliant?  

For example Nakd has a Chocolate Orange bar with this description.  Now I look at it and it seems okay, but I'm a Newbie.

Product Description
Raw fruit and nut bar. Free from gluten, wheat, added sugar and dairy.

Ingredients

Raw Dates (40%) Raw Cashews (40%) Raw Raisins (14%) Cocoa (5%) A Hint of Natural Flavour

This is just an example but all of the bars I looked at are the same except maybe a different nut or flavorings. I'm just on day 9 so I don't want to mess it up.  But having something like a bar that I could just throw in my backpack along with water would be great. Thanks for any help   Sara S

You can always put a cooler in your car with lunch waiting for you afterwards. Still take the fruit and nuts on the trail tho!

I pack a salad inside a small cooler in my backpack. (Tuna salad, chicken salad...)  And, I do still bring something like olives, nuts, or jerky.

I am also a walker/hiker and I walk every day. On long walks I will be gone for up to 4-5 hours so I need some easy snack around all the time. I have looked on line at some bars by Nakd and also Rude Health. Does anyone know if they are considered Whole 30 compliant?

For example Nakd has a Chocolate Orange bar with this description. Now I look at it and it seems okay, but I'm a Newbie. Product Description

Ingredients

Raw Dates (40%) Raw Cashews (40%) Raw Raisins (14%) Cocoa (5%) A Hint of Natural Flavour

This is just an example but all of the bars I looked at are the same except maybe a different nut or flavorings. I'm just on day 9 so I don't want to mess it up. But having something like a bar that I could just throw in my backpack along with water would be great. Thanks for any help Sara S

I used to eat Nakd bars quite often, i love the ginger bread flavour. Our local store stopped doing them though.

Would be a great option if found compliant.

If they were would they Liar bars from Nom Nom Paleo Food For Humans be okay? Unsweetened coconut flakes, macadamia nuts & medjool dates are the ingredients

I am also a walker/hiker and I walk every day.  On long walks I will be gone for up to 4-5 hours so I need some easy snack around all the time.  I have looked on line at some bars by Nakd and also Rude Health.  Does anyone know if they are considered Whole 30 compliant?  

For example Nakd has a Chocolate Orange bar with this description.  Now I look at it and it seems okay, but I'm a Newbie.

Product Description

Ingredients

This is just an example but all of the bars I looked at are the same except maybe a different nut or flavorings. I'm just on day 9 so I don't want to mess it up.  But having something like a bar that I could just throw in my backpack along with water would be great. Thanks for any help   Sara S

Did you find out the answer to this question re naked bars? As I have these for my daughter and it would be helpful if I am out and starving to have one

This is like a Lara bar: acceptable as emergency food, okay as food you take along on a long hike in the woods, not okay to eat in your home or at the gym because that is not an emergency and there are many better choices in the home or at the gym.  Take a look at the Whole30 for Athletes forum for what other folks have done for their workouts. 

If you are hungry in between meals, that's a completely different situation. The Whole30 recommendation is to have a mini-meal, containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. Save your 1-2 daily fruit servings to have with or immediately after meals only.

Did you find out the answer to this question re naked bars? As I have these for my daughter and it would be helpful if I am out and starving to have one

Not really, just that they would be okay in am emergency - like on a hike. I understand that if I'm home I should make a real meal. I think I'll try it but only use it on my longer hikes.

I pack a salad inside a small cooler in my backpack. (Tuna salad, chicken salad...)  And, I do still bring something like olives, nuts, or jerky.

Where do you find compliant jerky? That's what I really wanted to take on my hikes but I couldn't find any with sugar and/or preservatives.

Where do you find compliant jerky? That's what I really wanted to take on my hikes but I couldn't find any with sugar and/or preservatives.

I make it and have recently found some in NM.  I can post the name of the company if anyone wants to try to track them down.

I have a dehydrator, but have also read that people make it in a very low oven.  Recipes have been posted here before.  I use some of my favorite spice, a little acid (vinegar), and a little applesauce for sweetness.  I find ground meat is easier to dry and get a good texture.

For me, this kind of preparation can eliminate some "emergencies" and leave the bars for real "I can't get back to my car until 12 hours after dinner" type emergencies.

Oh no!  Our last bag is empty and gone as of the last few days.  My MIL is sending some more, but I'm not sure when I will have it.  I will get the info to you as soon as I have it.

The jerky I found in NM that was compliant is Bar-X brand by JD Foods.

I think I'd still rather make my own so that I really know the quality of the ingredients, but this was nice for the unexpected.

Archived