Support for people starting 6/10/13

Hello Day Two!

Breakfast:

1/2 avocado

1 egg

Cup of grape tomatoes

1/2 cup of corchirons (mini-pickles)

Kombucha

I had a lot of energy last night when I tried going to sleep. Not sure why. Today I'm prepping for the headaches and whatever comes my way. I did have one of those "I'll eat whatever since I'll be eating healthy soon" weekends that included cupcakes and wine...so I'm ready for my "hangover" for the next two days.

How is everyone doing today?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this link very helpful. It was posted on the Whole9 Blog in Jan 2013, but more recently on facebook! It talks about the headaches, anger and all the joy of making a life-changing change! Enjoy :)

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/

^^Thanks HippieChick, I looooove this.  I am embracing the headaches as a good thing and sign of progress but DANG I sure won't miss them when they're gone.   

Breakfast today: apple sautéed in tsp coconut oil, added prepped ground meat, lots of cinnamon and mixed in about 1/3 cup of coconut milk. Made a coffee with tsp of coconut oil as well...this is such a yummy combo when you blend it for just a few seconds! So excited to have my cup of coffee back!

Please let me know if you see any "violations" when I post something....I'm still getting my feet wet and don't want to unintentionally make mistakes! :). Going to be out and about, with a possible movie involved, planning to carry some nuts, fresh cut up veggies and possibly stop at trader joes for some jerkey or even sme ready made plain chicken breast to take in with me. Makes me a little anxious, not going to lie!

pwmurf, probably the biggest challenge people have during Whole30 is eating while and and about.  This is where planning is key!  Having things like you mentioned on hand will definitely help you!  Your breakfast looked perfectly yummy!  Good luck!

Phew, day 2 done & dusted!

Breakfast - spring greens, beef mince & 2 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with some hot sauce

Lunch - i couldn't have my planned lunch as we were having a new boiler fitted & i had no gas or water  :( so i improvised & had 2 hardboiled eggs mixed with homemade mayo, sauerkraut, some old salad i had lying around, a bit of cooked beetroot & a couple of dill pickles. It was very nice actually, woohoo!

Dinner - pork wrapped in bacon (oh yes!) with pineapple, some sweet potato chunks roasted with curry powder & some more salad leaves.

I did get some chocolate cravings this afternoon, but it was easier to fight them off knowing that i absolutely CAN'T than if i only "shouldn't" - does that make sense??

And now off to kick boxing, rargh!

Day 1 went really well.  I had a tiny craving for something sweet after lunch but I basically GTHO of the kitchen and forgot about it.  Had a nagging headache all day, I've read that many here get those and we just have to power through.  I finally took Advil this afternoon.  I am keeping track of everything and blogging for the first time ever, about this, but instead of linking to it all the time I put it in my signature and am leaving it at that.

Are we using this as a support thread or was a group formed?  

Congratulations to the rest of you for making ti through Day 1!!!   

I do believe this is the support thread. I would suggest taking Tylenol instead of Advil as there is a component in Advil that is a gut irritant if I remember correctly. Headaches are normal especially if you are coming off an especially SAD diet.

Started my Whole30 today as well. Would luv to join in on the support and info. Has anyone set other goals for themselves during their W30? The Day is coming to a close and it has been a success! (Side note; also quit nicotine today)

Congrats on quitting nicotine! So awesome! My main goals are further improvements to my digestion and sleep.

Breakfast today: apple sautéed in tsp coconut oil, added prepped ground meat, lots of cinnamon and mixed in about 1/3 cup of coconut milk. Made a coffee with tsp of coconut oil as well...this is such a yummy combo when you blend it for just a few seconds! So excited to have my cup of coffee back!

Please let me know if you see any "violations" when I post something....I'm still getting my feet wet and don't want to unintentionally make mistakes! :). Going to be out and about, with a possible movie involved, planning to carry some nuts, fresh cut up veggies and possibly stop at trader joes for some jerkey or even sme ready made plain chicken breast to take in with me. Makes me a little anxious, not going to lie!

Make sure you have 1-2 cups of veggies at breakfast. What you've posted here doesn't quite fit the food template. If fruit is pushing vegetables off your plate than it is better to skip the fruit. I've not been able to find compliant jerky at Trader Joe's so I hope your luck is better. Do you have some time tonight to do some meal planning and food prep? 

Day 2 done successfully, yay!   Drank twice the coffee I am aiming for (had two cups instead of one)  Definitely a little draggy today and the headaches are with me still but remained in compliance.  A mild craving situation occurred but I overpowered it :-).   And in keeping with my other goals of NO eating while reading or watching T.V, did that too.  It;s funny how I feel like I am sitting at the table FOREVER and chewing forever also...but it's good.  It's how it used to be and it's how it should be!   

It really does help to check in with others so thank you all very very much.  

Hello :) I started June 10th, so I'm on day 2.  I'm SO tired!!!!  The daily email says that you'll feel sluggish, and they are so right.  I can hardly keep my eyes open at work and my workouts have been lacking, to say the least.  I can't wait to get over this hump.  And my caffeine headache won't go away, either.  Glad to know there are others going through the same thing as me!  Anyone else super tired?

Shelly

Hi gang!  Congrats to all on Day Two! I work the night shift so always late to the party :(  hang in there about the tiredness...even though I am a re-start, I am feeling the same headache and tiredness. I guess I had been more sloppy with the food than I realized. Also trying to control the fruit portions by upping my veges...

My latest discovery is Fennel ! Trader Joe's, 2 bulbs for under 3 bucks.  Man, sliced think like an onion and sauteed in ghee with some kale with my morning eggs (3) and avocado! Yum. Awesome breakfast and I am not hungry for hours! Seriously...even enough to workout on about 2 hours later.  Hope everyone has a good Day three...

PWMURF- Hope the movie challenge went well! That is a tough one! I like to take in the shell nuts because it takes me longer to eat and my hands stay busy!!!! :rolleyes:

So...went into movie totally prepared...maca nuts, cashews, veggies and a large seltzer water, no flavoring. I also had some plain grilled chicken from TJ, but that was too fragrant for me to feel comfortable eating. I ate too many nuts..tummy ache/gassy tummy most of afternoon....kept running straight to softball games and not hungry so that was it for my food today (just got home a 9:30). I have most definitely noticed an irritability move in this afternoon and have a lovely headache here at bedtime. Looking forward to another day tomorrow. So glad I have lots of stuff prepped.

Ok, I've got fuzzyhead today. I feel frazzled and feel a headache coming on. I thought I escaped this since Day 2 went smoothly. I'm facing my biggest challenge this weekend. I'm traveling the next three days to surprise my little sister for her graduation. I'm trying to plan as much as I can. But I'm at the mercy of my family with some of the activities. Luckily my family is pretty healthy and don't pressure me too much with food.

The best news is that my BF wants to try a Whole30. He said "I need to reset my eating." I'm so proud of him. We live apart (jobs in different cities) and I'm hoping to help him prep on Sundays. I'm giving him all the materials (ISWF and quick start guide) to get him going. He's fighting the Beer Dragon.

I made the best new recipe (well, new to me) last night for breakfast and lunch today.

Short Ribs!!! So easy! I found pasta sauce with garlic (and no bad stuff). Poured it on the ribs for 45 minutes( turning over at the 20 min mark) at 425 degrees. So easy. So yum.

And one random observation....I never shop in the box aisles anymore. I spend all my time in the produce and meat section. It's amazing how much of the grocery store sells pre-packaged/processed foods. Yuck.

Today's breakfast:

Short Rib

Strawberry/Blueberries mix

1/2 avodaco

Lunch will be the same

Dinner

Eggs and Veggies

Have a great day everyone!

I have been reading this thread since starting my first ever Whole30 on the 10th and had to join today because I am also incredibly foggy, headachey and going through detox like whoa on Day 3.  I am sticking with it though - this too shall pass.  :) My co-worker, who completed a Whole30 a couple of months ago, told me her "carb flu" lasted until day 6.  Oy.  

My decision to do the Whole30 now was very last minute (I had originally planned to do one in September once the summer is over), but I needed a change and am even going on a vacation next week (just to visit my parents respectively in D.C. and Boston) and am looking forward to staying on the plan.  I cannot wait for the tiger blood to begin!   :D

Hi everyone! 

Congrats to everyone staying on plan! This is my second Whole30. I did one in March and then promptly went bonkers with junk food in April, negating all of my hard work. I should never have gotten off the plan in the first place because the sugar dragon held me in his clutches the entire time. But this time I have a whole new mentality and I am ready to kick my sugar addiction out the door for good! And on Day 3, I am feeling great!

Does anyone else find Week 1 to be the easiest and the hardest at the same time? I have so much motivation and a well stocked fridge. But I also notice my bad habit triggers right away. Like grabbing a soda in the checkout line at Target yesterday. 

Anyway, keep up the good work! I am looking forward to my giant salad for lunch! What is everyone else having?

Hello!!  I have started the Whole 30 on 06-10-2013 as well!  I have completed a Whole 30 before, but slowly fell back into my old bad eating habits, unfortunately.  I've got the "carb flu" something fierce - along with withdrawal from Diet Pepsi.   I felt great when I finished my first W30 and I'm using this memory as fuel to get me through these tough days! 

Glad to have found this thread and look forward to sharing here. 

Hang in there everyone!! 

Morning all! I too am feeling groggy and headachy today. My allergies are not helping. I thought I would escape this as I've been pretty strictly paleo for months now but I also acknowledge that I had a lot more sugar and other offplan stuff last week than I had in months. I hit the snooze button 3 times this morning and could have happily stayed in bed all day. So comfy. Hanging in as I know this too shall pass. Keep fighting the good food fight everyone!

Phew, day 3 done! My sugar dragon was kicking up a bit of a fuss this afternoon, but i managed to shut him up  :ph34r:

Breakfast - 2 eggs, minced beef & spring greens, scrambled with a bit of hot sauce

Lunch - last  :rolleyes: of the ginger citrus skillet chicken with some sweet potato "noodles" & a bit of coconut milk thrown in this time

Snack - homemade pork rinds (well, technically the pig made them, but i roasted them to crunchy yumminess)

Dinner - tandoori lamb steaks, broccoli & asparagus & cumin-roasted carrots (Well Fed)

So far no headaches (though i didn't last time really) & feeling ok... I did feel a bit like KILLING ALL THE THINGS on the evening of day 1, but that may just have been me  ;)

Drrraaggging today...even took an hour nap, something I never do! Eats today: roasted veggies/ground meat with cinnamon heated in coconut oil, coffee blended with tsp of coconut oil; snack of raw cut veggies and handful of cashews, ground meat with kale, cabbage, broccoli slaw, seeds/nuts and balsamic vin/olive oil. Small handful of sweet potato chips (very clean..sweet pot, olive oil, salt). I'm still super full an hour and a half later. I can't imagine I will want much else to eat today but will try to have a bit of snack later. Very tired and a little grouchy...can't wait to get through the week!

Hello! Mind if i join you? I started whole30 on 6/10 as well. Today is day 3 and... Boy oh boy. I suffer from migraines and this is day 2 of suffering. Cant wait until tomorrow. I feel sleepy as well. Still trying to figure our portions as i am not able to fit 3 meals a day. I think i am overdoing on protein during meal 1 and 2. Yesterday i had to eat a considerable amount of nuts and watermelon. It was either that or my migraine carb craving. Also, anyone experience nausea? Oi.

I know i have to prep food but i am so tired i keep putting it off. So far i am eating from cans - sardines and salmon.

Good luck to all of us!

Hey there!  Bit of an issue getting registered to the forum, but I am on day 3 here as well.  Feeling pretty good (though my lunch companion noted I seemed like I was in a bit of a mood - first meal out, virtuously ordering a salad instead of a burger and fries, so I'll take "a mood" and not a meltdown!)  I tried this before in January and was already struggling by Day 3, so I'm feeling more encouraged - feels easier to eat fresh when it's warm and everything is fresh.  Glad there are a few others going through at the same time!

Archived