Support for people starting 6/10/13

Hi, all. I actually started Whole30 on Saturday (6/8), so I'm on Day 5, but as it turns out, my fuzzhead crash didn't happen until today. For the first two days, I waited for the crash to come, but mostly I was just impressed by how hungry I wasn't! And then today it happened: Low-grade headache all morning, stupor, exhaustion, and my first official craving, in which I announced to Facebook that I would commit depraved violence for a prawn burrito from my favorite Mexican seafood restaurant. (Happily, I did not commit depraved violence *or* submit to the lure of the prawn burrito.)

One thing that was terrifically helpful this week is that I found a bunch of recipes to cook via a food blog I really love, The Wednesday Chef. She did Whole30 during April and May, and she came up with some beautiful recipes:

http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2013/04/cooking-for-the-whole30.html#more

In the meantime, I'm eating a lot of eggs -- Asian-style Scotch Eggs are a big favorite, I've discovered -- asparagus, baby arugula, eggplant, beet greens, kale, and cauliflower. I also kind of overdid it at the farmer's market the day before I started, and, consequently, have a *lot* of fruit in the house -- strawberries, blueberries, and cherries. We also had some raspberries, but they went fast. Now that I know I need to take it easy on the fruit, it will be much easier for me to scale down purchasing next week. (It's just hard to resist when berries and stone fruits are coming into season where I live. But resist I will! Because if I'm not baking or putting up jam, I do not need six pints of strawberries!)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a flat of strawberries today and my plan is to puree a bunch of them and freeze in ice cube trays to later flavor my home brewed kombucha and than freeze the rest as whole and sliced in freezer bags to have for post W30 desserts when entertaining and just eating when I feel like it. Freezing summer produce is a great way to have fresh stuff throughout the winter I think.

Oh after lunch square of chocolate how I miss you! First time I've missed anything so far so suppose that's ok. Cup of coffee instead ...

Afternoon 250g bar for me!  :unsure: This is why i needed another reset!

Anyhoo, day 4 done & dusted... nearly

Breakfast - spring greens, 2 eggs & minced beef, scrambled together with hot sauce (i wrote it in a different order today to make it sound different - i PROMISE i'll have something different tomorrow morning!)

Lunch - mushrooms, a tin of smoked oysters, courgette noodles & a bit of sherry vinegar. Quite an explosion of different tastes there, but it was really nice!

Snack - roasted butternut squash & homemade pork rinds, & a bit of homemade coconut butter

Dinner - chicken with butternut squash & figs. It's in the slow cooker right now & i'm hungry! I'd originally planned to make honey mustard chicken, but i'd obviously written my meal plan before i decided to jump on another Whole30, so made a swift change  :D

Totally lacking in energy today - felt like i was walking through treacle - so i guess that'll be the carbs running low. Roll on Tiger Blood!

I'm actually feeling more myself today. When I first started eating Paleo I had a kill all the things around day 5. I really hope tomorrow doesn't become another one as my husband is returning from a business trip and I don't want to be that wife.  :P

Definitely feeling more human than yesterday! Ate so very well....strange but good for breakfast and lunch....warmed up prepped roasted veggies and ground meat (turkey breast/extra lean ground beef) in coconut oil, added 1/2 c fresh blueberries and lots of cinnamon...kind of took the edge off it being quite so savory. Enjoyed a coffee with tsp coconut oil, then had a Starbucks Sumatra with a friend this morning. Had a bag of raw veggies at about 3pm so I wouldn't get too hungry. Dinner was baked orange roughy..NOT a fish person. But this was really good. Had prepped roasted asparagus that I warmed up to go with it. Calling it a successful day 4! Can't WAIT for the Tiger Blood feeling! :)

Hi, all.  Happy Day 5!  I felt wonderful yesterday, but am back to fogginess today.  I have also been having some tummy troubles.  I am going to be auditing what is causing the problems - I thought it was nuts, but I just had a bit of trouble after having my omelet with chicken, tomato and avocado this morning.  Does anyone else find that they're having tummy troubles?  Let it be known that I did not have the cleanest diet before starting my Whole30 on the 10th and have consistently had a bad stomach throughout my 30 years on this Earth - my parents also have stomach problems too.

I am already feeling lighter though.  My partner remarked how I felt skinnier - I think it seriously is from the removal of alcohol.

I am traveling this weekend and next week and am really looking forward to the challenge of continuing to eat clean, but most importantly, not imbibing.  Would love to hear some war stories from people that have completed a Whole30 before and how one dealt with a social occasion.  

Here is to an easy day 5! 

Another day in the bag  :)

Breakfast - roasted butternut squash, beef mince & coconut milk

Lunch - leftover chicken with figs & butternut squash with spring greens

Dinner - beef kaldereta & spring greens, a few cherries to finish

So tired today! I slept really well for the 1st time in ages, but i could sleep more. I fell asleep during my yoga class this morning  :lol: Off to crossfit in a bit, hope i can stay awake for that!

Mmm courgette noodles - how do I find out how to do those? Your dinner sounds yum, too!

Courgette noodles - cut a courgette into strips using either a julienne peeler or a potato peeler (for a more tagliatelle-type style)

Put the strands into a big sieve over the sink & chuck on loads of sea salt, enough to get a reasonable coverage. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes, then rinse under cold water. Dump the noodles out onto some kitchen roll, put some more paper over the top & get squeezing. I usually use about 3 or 4 changes of paper. The noodles are now ready to use, or can be stored for later. Fry them in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes. I sometimes add a tbsp of olive oil towards the end if they're starting to stick. I also make sweet potato noodles with the julienne peeler, but they don't need any further prep, just a good stir-fry with some fat (& especially yummy with minced lamb & balsamic vinegar!)

hey guys I'm only a couple days behind you, started wednesday and I want to join so I have people to chat with!!!  So I'm on day 3 still.  My main problem sofar is just that I've never been a big meat or egg eater, and that doesn't bother me to eat meat at meals (at least not yet), I actually kind of like meat just never wanted to eat it, no taste or cravings for it, but eggs I'm still working on... anyway, I know you don't have to have eggs for breakfast but meat for breakfast isnt something I really want to do either...  So I'm trying to figure it out.  My husband just shook his head at me this morning and said "why are you trying to torture yourself?" as he saw me try to gulp down my food, and I totally agree, but instead of quitting I just need to find something I can eat in the morning!  Although it does feel to be such a big struggle that if I can't come up with a compromise food I don't know what I will do... I start thinking that maybe I am just torturing myself with food (even though I have loved all the other meals I made) and that I should enjoy my meals more... anyway I am just blabbering now....

but I did have some successes today because we went to a small town for the morning to run around with the kids and we were all getting hungry and I wasn't sure what everyone would want to do for lunch and what I would find (but I knew I had some snacks for me in my bag).  Anyway, they wanted to go to a candy store which smelled SO GOOD but I didn't eat any candy and just got the kids lollipops and when I asked the husband what he was having he said it would be no fun to eat candy if I didn't have any either (so I consider that a win because he doesn't really need the candy and I Sure wasn't going to have any!!!)  then got back to the car and enjoyed my snacks ;)  Usually I probably would have pressed to get whatever food was closest just to have some lunch but I made it through and was fine.  

lunch was leftover bruschetta chicken with zucchini noodles and roasted green beans, dinner will be pork tenderloin, roasted broccoli and a carrot/cauliflower herb mash.  yum!

I'm still feeling tired today and perhaps a bit snippy. I got plenty of sleep last night but it felt restless. Got behind so many stupid people on my way to work this morning.  :rolleyes:

Nikki what type of tummy troubles are you having? I find that tomatoes give me heartburn more times then not so have mostly removed them from my diet. Bell pepper is 10x worse so removed that a long time ago. Are you eating a lot more meat than you used to? I've heard digestive enzymes can help with adjusting to digesting more meat. Also are you eating more raw veggies than us you used to? You might want to stick to mostly cooked for a while and see how that fairs. 

I'm on Day 3 (started on the 11th) and I'm at the KILL ALL THE THINGS stage... A bad day at work and an ongoing medical mystery with my dog is not helping. All I want right now is a) a coffee B) a HUGE glass of cider and c) a cheeseburger!! I'm dragging myself through this week...

Sorry to vent, just really not having a good day but am determined to keep going with this.

Checking in.  Working through Day 5 and had to literally leave the room when my mom showed up with Chocolate-Chocolate-Chip ice cream for the kids. And I've got nothing against a grandma treating her grandbabies but man.  Really strong cravings and as much as I hate to say it the ice cream must get accidentally thrown out, it cannot stay here.   :blink:   Rough day earlier b/c I waited too long to eat and was reeeeeeeeally hungry by lunch; started thinking of all these no no's.  It is amazing how quickly the mind goes to junk.  But I got through it and have been Whole30 compliant.  SHEW.     

Chin up Angela! You will make it! Maybe have a black coffee (or are you trying to ditch coffee?) a burger with avocado and some sweet potato/apple hash? 

Thanks :) I ditched the coffee as well, as I have been struggling with adrenal issues for 3+ years. I was down to 1 cup of 1/2 caf coffee per day before I started this Whole30 and, try as I might, I've never been able to like black coffee (or coffee with coconut milk/oil). I always have cream in it (whipping cream if possible) but without that, I just don't enjoy it. 

I'm at work for the afternoon, but when I get home, maybe I'll fire up the BBQ and make a HUGE paleo burger :)

Thanks everyone for all the stories of success! It helps to know that we are not alone in the unfathomable and unusual KILL ALL THINGS phase.  And I had a pretty clean diet before I started this Paleo-Whole30 journey in April.  But, it is worth it..My skin, my energy, all those things are verging on greatness :)  I am reading ISWF all the time to remind myself when the weird emotional and mental challenges come, what the source is...and have sent it to my sister to try and recruit her. Loving fennel, shaved sweet potatoe and kale in ghee for breakfast with 3 eggs...Can't believe how long I let 100 calorie yogurts rule me all in the name of DIET!  Hang in there everyone!  I am on Day 4 and appreciate all the encourging messages! :rolleyes:

Archived