Support for people starting 6/10/13

Day 5 under my belt. This forum is awesome because it really does make me feel better to know I'm right on track, even tho I feel a little draggy today and sort of melancholy. I am sooo proud of myself for not even feeling super deprived or in want of a bite as my amity enjoyed amazing looking sonic sundaes and shakes free my girls' softball game tonight. I already knew in my head I was coming home to have some approved deli chicken, avocado and raw sweet peppers. I am REALLY looking forward to feeling amazing in a couple of days and starting a fun bootcamp on Monday with all the energy I hope to have! So glad to have access to such great support tools and that I'm sucking it up and USING them! :)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7 done. Serious brain fog tonight, but I think it is less carb flu and more not sleeping well last night. It's a process, I know.

I made the courgette noodles from Well Fed for dinner, accompanied by grilled chicken thighs, and they were perfect. I am sorely tempted to eat them at least once a day for the rest of my life. (Well, probably not. But it's a nice thought.)

Woke up today (day 6) feeling refreshed! That's a new one on me. Am also in love with sweet potato hummus - it totally turned my Friday evening around ( feeling deprived due to lack of wine / chocolate / crisps / any other treat - then totally turned round by a fizzy water and lime mocktail and some sweet potato hummus ...!) . Onwards ... First week nearly under our belt.

I'm still feeling tired today and perhaps a bit snippy. I got plenty of sleep last night but it felt restless. Got behind so many stupid people on my way to work this morning.  :rolleyes:

Nikki what type of tummy troubles are you having? I find that tomatoes give me heartburn more times then not so have mostly removed them from my diet. Bell pepper is 10x worse so removed that a long time ago. Are you eating a lot more meat than you used to? I've heard digestive enzymes can help with adjusting to digesting more meat. Also are you eating more raw veggies than us you used to? You might want to stick to mostly cooked for a while and see how that fairs. 

I thought it was nuts at first, but after yesterday, I have realized it's from the influx in raw veggie consumption.  I am thinking it is just something my stomach has to get used to.

I went out last night and stayed within Whole30 guidelines, but boy oh boy, was it hard.   :mellow:  I am definitely feeling good - my partner commented that I was glowing already - but I am still experiencing food cravings, so I think I'm right on course at what I should be experiencing at this point in the Whole30 journey.  I am traveling today for the week to visit family and am nervous / excited.  Good thing is is that I'll definitely be able to cook up some recipes while there, which I'm very much looking forward to.   

Week 1 almost done!   :o  :D  Have a great day, everyone! 

Day 6? Really?? I'm honestly losing count this time around, it's going quickly!

Shades of KILL ALL THE THINGS - WELL AT LEAST SOME OF THEM today, yesterday's benign smiley mood has vanished... probably cos i didn't sleep too well last night BLOODY CAT PURRING ON MY HEAD AT 5AM  :P heh heh...

Breakfast - beef kaldereta & spring greens (my OH - most definitely NOT doing a Whole-anything - was out on a stag do last night, so that was his supper, heated up for breakfast. Win!)

Lunch - gammon steak with pineapple rings & a fried egg, with salad. Went out to a pub for lunch with my parents. I decided before i started another Whole30 that i'd Do My Best when out - i.e. not fall into a plate of fudge cake or similar, but at the same time not stand at the bar demanding grass-fed butter etc. So i asked for a salad in place of the chips & peas that were on the menu. I'm planning to add days on to the end of this round anyway, so sue me ;) 

Dinner - duck confit with mashed cauliflower & carrots. The duck is in the oven RIGHT NOW & it smells amazing, i need to hurry the kids off to bed so i can get on & eat!

Happy eating everybody! 

Having duck here tonight too - duck salad with mango and chilli salsa. Children lingering in the bath which is holding me up! Good day today - wasn't hungry til 6pm but have now run out of tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Must attempt mayo tomorrow to make like coleslaw with all that cabbage sitting in the fridge!

Day 6 down! Ate my own food while my family chowed chipotle like burritos at lunch..got a few weird looks munching on my own peppers, but no biggie! Did some food prep when we got home from the ball parks and enjoyed a little watermelon....not quite feeling that awesome energy yet...and seem to be retaining some water...anyone else? I got some oven roasted chicken breast (free of nitrates, MSG, gluten, fillers, etc) that I've eaten for a couple of meals....could it be that? Trying to get some extra water in to flush it out. Made some great decisions the last couple of days, proud of that....and I can say I've probably felt more cravings today than any yet, but I was face to face with some yummy looking food as well,

Great job on the choices everyone!  Pizza here tonight at work, but again...secret superior attitude and desire to feel great are strong and intact! Loving my meatballs I made with the Well Fed spice mix. So yum.  Haven't put in tomato sauce yet, but they rock! 

I had some water retention early on, and am prone to it, but it is gone now.  Sleep and some good exercise helps me keep retention free and good bathroom habits. The water goes without saying :)  But, yes, once I started not having salt, I became more sensitive, just like sugar for that matter. But, the recovery time is more forgiving and I find my body returns to healthy quicker with this lifestyle.

Hang in there everyone! Congrats on almost first week complete/first week complete/ or, whatever you are most proud of!!! :D

Made it through the family fish fry yesterday/Day 6 just fine and realized some things I'll write about later, just checking in quickly.  Got my copy of ISWF and am reading a chapter at a time. :wub:  I remain 100 percent committed to and in love with the Whole 30.    

Possible TMI Alert~~  Mid-to late week will be the start of The Week Before My Period.  This is the week that I typically feel like crap mentally, physically, acne breaks out, and I want to eat everything in sight, everything,  I usually look forward to my period because once it starts, despite it's inconveniences, at least I don't feel like a lunatic.  I don't know too much about the science, I just always chalked it up to some likely hormonal imbalance. So anyway, I'm very aware of that challenge on the horizon for this next week and am glad, in hindsight, I didn't START the Whole30 on that week.   :wacko:  

As always-- hope everybody is okay today!          

Hey guys, My husband and I started on 6/9 so we're a day ahead of you all. I've been reading your posts and relating to all the challenges and victories of the week. I'm posting about my journey on my blog. I have a page dedicated to what we eat and how we feel each day. And I'm also posting other bits occasionally.

We are starting to feel pretty good and have more energy which is nice. Good luck on week 2!

Anna

http://comehitherandstay.com

another day done  :)

Breakfast - minced beef, roast butternut squash & coconut milk

Lunch - gyro lamb with romaine lettuce & avocado tzatziki (thanks to www.marksdailyapple.com for that one!)

Dinner - caribbean oxtails with cauliflower rice - YUM! Plus i've got a box full of oxtail bones to make stock with, hurray!

Exactly a week ago today i was feeling totally rubbish after a big takeaway pizza at lunchtime, found this thread & decided to just jump in  :D This week after my lunch i was out mowing the lawn (though a brief attack of KILL ALL THE THINGS meant i nearly broke a toe by kicking the mower - not all good for your health, this Paleo stuff  ;) )

Here's to week 2!

Very pleased with myself for making mayo today ... Mmmm. Have been hungry today and prowling for food, which I was hoping to leave behind but hey, one step at a time! I made a job lot of lime coleslaw and am currently roasting fennel and onions in industrial proportions and can't believe I've nearly finished week 1 and it hasn't been hard. The hardest thing for me is not weighing myself! Roll on week 2!

Ah, wonderful fennel! Right now I am in a hotel kitchen on a deployment and don't have an oven:(  So, relying on stirfry and crock pot, but roasted fennel...sublime! Good job everybody with week one. 

Sunnymama, no problem on the TMI...It is both the joy and the pain of being female! Doesn't get any easier as the time goes, but I have to say I just feel more stable and balanced on this way of eating than I did on a calorie deprived and overtrained program...LOVE and LIVE for balance :)  Hang in there!!!

I also started June 10 and made it through the week! It really wasn't so difficult since I had planned everything out. Got ready for week two today. My sister also started, so we are keeping each other in check, we live 4 hours from each other, "text" support works just as well!

Week one down!!! Yeehaw! I took food with me places, I got thru family ice cream treats, I was "one of those ppl" at a restaurant today..Greek salad, no cheese...asking if/what oil is used to cook chicken breast, no dressing. Made sure my sister in law knew my restrictions for dinner so she wouldn't be offended if I didn't eat....most tempted by MIL's frosted cake...but can't eat gluten anyway and even tho I wanted a bite of frosting, there was NO WAY I was messing up the week I've got down! Looking forward to this next week! Starting an 8wk bootcamp tomorrow as well!

Good Morning everyone! Day 7 is here! I had some challenges the last few days (out of town for my sister's graduation), but I stayed the course. I did have some tummy problems (i.e. no BMs until Saturday night). I took some Natural Calm last night hoping to help things. Anyone else have little to no BMs last week?

I tried on my tight shorts this morning. They are still tight but I know I shouldn't get discouraged. I'll see and feel the results eventually.

I've decided to start CrossFit again this week. I took a little time off the last two weeks after my half marathon.

How is everyone doing?

Time to eat my breakfast: 2 HB eggs, strawberries, and assorted peppers. Sipping a kombucha.

Yum!

Good luck on Day 7!

Are sweet potatoes proving helpful to any of you?  A week and two days ago I had never eaten a single bite of sweet potato, now I've gone through three bags!    

Breakfast was hamburger patty, streamed fresh green squash and fresh carrots, and sauerkraut.   No sweet potato like usual this week but then....

Few hours later had mini-meal of sweet potato w/ walnuts sprinkled on, little less than closed fist worth.  I want to avoid the mini-meals, and have been mostly successful, but was not only hungry but tired.  I find that although breakfast feels huge to me, including a sweet potato really makes a difference in making it several hours later to lunch without eating in between or even thinking about food...which I really really like.  

I'm sort of rolling with it and not sure I this sweet potato thing is something I'll roll back later/adjust but I have had at least one or two, sometimes three a day.    

I'm a huge sweet potato fan too - just this afternoon i was feeling generally peckish, so i had a few cubes of curry sweet potato mashed up with a hard-boiled egg. Heaven. I like to make noodles out of a big sweet potato by using a julienne peeler - then stir fry them with whatever meat i'm having. Also, instead of just plain old baking, try roasting biggish cubes in coconut oil, salt & curry powder. Delicious cold with a boiled egg  ;)

Breakfast - chicken with figs & butternut squash, with spring greens

Lunch - lamb gyro meat on romaine lettuce with avocado tzatziki

Snack - curry sweet potato with hard boiled egg

Dinner - thai basil chicken & cauliflower rice

Started the day marvelling at how much my general low-level depression had lifted, but was feeling a bit ropey by the afternoon, a bit tired & wobbly. Oh well. Dinner soon, then a nice early night  -_-

I'm a huge sweet potato fan too - just this afternoon i was feeling generally peckish, so i had a few cubes of curry sweet potato mashed up with a hard-boiled egg. Heaven. I like to make noodles out of a big sweet potato by using a julienne peeler - then stir fry them with whatever meat i'm having. Also, instead of just plain old baking, try roasting biggish cubes in coconut oil, salt & curry powder. Delicious cold with a boiled egg   ;)

Breakfast - chicken with figs & butternut squash, with spring greens

Lunch - lamb gyro meat on romaine lettuce with avocado tzatziki

Snack - curry sweet potato with hard boiled egg

Dinner - thai basil chicken & cauliflower rice

Started the day marvelling at how much my general low-level depression had lifted, but was feeling a bit ropey by the afternoon, a bit tired & wobbly. Oh well. Dinner soon, then a nice early night   -_-

^^Great SP ideas...thanks!   Also, isn't it amazing how much the whole foods stabilize (is that the right word? the mood?  Hope you're feeling better now/soon.  

It is day 8 for me and i feel frustrated and disappointed. I haven't cheated on the program yet my clothes feel much tighter, in fact so tight that i am uncomfortable at work and last week they were just right. I do suspect i am overdoing it with nuts and fruits. However, it is hard to resist all the summer of fruit and berries. However i dont feel in eat that much to cause me to gain.

Sorry just venting because it demotivates me.

On the bright side- my sugar cravings are way down and yesterday was the first day i that i did not think of a glass of ice cold champagne ( used to be my nightly indulgence).

I am traveling this week and wondering if i will look suspicious with a dozen hard boiled eggs in my purse lol.

A can of sardines and a handful of baby carrots for breakfast. 4 baked chicken wings, 6 asparagus spears and a medium sized artichoke with home made mayo, a bowl of raspberries and 7 macadamia nuts for lunch.

I am afraid to think about dinner as my clothes get tighter and tighter every day. :(

Hope your day 8 is better than mine.

Day 8...felt fabulous most of day....had sweet potato, ground meat and coffee/coconut oil for breakfast, spaghetti squash and sauce of organic crushed tomatoes, ground meat, black olives..yum. Had 1/2 cup frozen blueberries with breakfast, a peach mid morning and a small apple with almond butter this afternoon. Roasted up asparagus, Brussels sprouts, peppers for prep and 8 little filets. Plan on having a filet and roasted veggies for dinner. Busy, productive, felt great....until about 4.....mood just crashed....so grumpy!!!!! Is this typical or common?? I really thought I'd turned the corner I was feeling so dang good today, then, boom. Am I doing something wrong?

WholyCow: I find that nuts make me very bloated. I stopped snacking on nuts and noticed that helped a lot. I would urge you not to snack in general but especially not on nuts and fruits. Both should be part of a meal template meal. It will help!

Day 8 for me too and I'm feeling pretty good. My allergies are pretty active today but I spent a lot of time outside this weekend between my long run on Saturday and some much needed weeding of my back yard on Sunday. 

I have been enjoying keeping up with everyone's updates!  I am currently at my father's house in Virginia, and have been all weekend, and have been tried and tested yet have stayed true!  :D  I went to a winery, an amusement park and out to dinner and to a bar in the past few days and have stayed on course with my food and beverage choices - the latter being the most difficult.  ;)  BUT I feel fantastic!  My skin is clear, my mood is very stable (dare I say I have been in a very good mood the past few days?), I've been sleeping like a baby, and really haven't had any food cravings. 

I travel to Boston tomorrow to visit my mom before I head home to Brooklyn on Friday and I think it will be much easier to stay on track - my dad and his wife love to drink and it has been very, uh, boring drinking my club soda.  I am creating fancy Whole30 kiddie cocktails for dinner while my family drinks wine - I seriously recommend muddled watermelon and mint with soda water.  It makes you feel like you're having a fancy cocktail when everyone else is drinking. :)

I wish everyone well staying on your journey - I really love reading everyone's input and updates.

Archived