Support for people starting 6/10/13

Day 8 in the bag! So excited to have made it this far, but concerned because I got up today feeling very inflamed and sore. My body hurt. I have been feeling sooooo good, sleeping well, chronic neck pain nearly completely gone. Today my neck pain was back and I just felt sore. I'm wondering if I got some hidden sugars or dairy somewhere? Frustrated because I have been following all the rules. Will start double checking all ingredient labels? Maybe it was in the meatballs? They are handmade at my grocery store, they said no cheese, dairy, or gluten but a lot of people put cheese in their meatballs! Will have to watch closer!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the grip of the sugar dragon. Does the wanting ever pass? (I mean, I know it does, but does it ever go away and stay away?)

Staying the course but being very grumpy (am sleep deprived today but that is an unavoidable feature of my life ...

Is anyone having problems waking up in the morning? I'm almost sleeping too soundly. I know I shouldn't complain, but I have a hard time waking up for CrossFit in the morning. It's like my body wants more and more sleep. I don't feel like I have a carb flu or anything.

For Whole30 veterans, when did you start to see the change? I feel the change (more energy, happier). But I'm trying to see the difference in a pair of shorts. I didn't weight myself before I started because I didn't want to be obsessed with numbers. My shorts are as tight as they were when I started. I'm not surprised, but just curious when I might see a difference.

Eating Breakfast as I type....

London Broil

Tomatoes

Sauerkraut

Kombucha

Yummy!

Have a great day everyone!

Day 8 in the bag! So excited to have made it this far, but concerned because I got up today feeling very inflamed and sore. My body hurt. I have been feeling sooooo good, sleeping well, chronic neck pain nearly completely gone. Today my neck pain was back and I just felt sore. I'm wondering if I got some hidden sugars or dairy somewhere? Frustrated because I have been following all the rules. Will start double checking all ingredient labels? Maybe it was in the meatballs? They are handmade at my grocery store, they said no cheese, dairy, or gluten but a lot of people put cheese in their meatballs! Will have to watch closer!

The way you describe this I would suspect there may have been sugar or non-gluten grains. Definitely investigate.

In the grip of the sugar dragon. Does the wanting ever pass? (I mean, I know it does, but does it ever go away and stay away?)

Oh, i know that one! Mine went away for a few days in the middle of my last Whole30, but then came back & planned all my reintroductions for me  :o Dairy=chocolate ice cream! Gluten=chocolate cake & biscuits!! Non-gluten grains=chocolate covered rice cakes! Bleurgh...

Is anyone having problems waking up in the morning? I'm almost sleeping too soundly. I know I shouldn't complain, but I have a hard time waking up for CrossFit in the morning. It's like my body wants more and more sleep. 

ME!! I feel like the quality of my sleep's got loads better, but i can't seem to get enough of it! I go to bed around 9:30pm, certainly by 10pm (though tonight may be a bit later as we're off kickboxing). I don't usually sleep right through because there's inevitably a cat or two wants to go out around 4am, but i get straight back to sleep easily enough. Funny though, today my head & eyes felt like they could happily go back to bed, but my body was trashing the kitchen roasting veg & making noodles & stock & sauerkraut...  :D

Breakfast - lamb gyro meat & romaine lettuce, avocado tzatziki (anyone wondering how long avocado tzatziki keeps in the fridge before it starts getting a bit slimy - about 3 days!)

Lunch - leftover thai basil chicken with sweet potato noodles & balsamic vinegar, a handful of cherries

Dinner - pineapple bacon chilli & courgette noodles, another handful of cherries. 

Off out to kickboxing class this evening, which usually means a late-ish & disturbed night from the adrenaline, so a nap may well be in order tomorrow!

Keep up the good work everybody!  :)

Thank you Physibeth. I stopped eating nuts yesterday. Hopefully it will help.

Have some tummy cramping. Not sure why, hopefully it is some kind of a good sign although hard to imagine.

A can of salmon and baby carrots for breakfast on this day 9. I smoked some pork ribs and ham yesterday so i am looking forward to lunch. Cant wait for my sauerkraut to finish fermenting.

Amazingly enough my sweet tooth ( or rather a whole jaw of sweet teeth) has been tame and quiet lately. I bought frozen raspberries and frozen sour pie cherries and they are soo heavenly. I have bowls of candies all over the office, along with pretzel shelf and i am able to pass and not even look at them. That is awesome. I had this before when i went completely paleo.

I just hope all the work will pay of at the end to make it all worth it.

Good luck everyone.

Happy Day 9 Everyone! 

Last week was a tough one for me, but things are looking up!  Feeling pretty good now! 

As some have mentioned, my sleep has certainly improved, but I was almost late for work today!  Just thought I'd sit down on the couch and I conked out again.  I seem to sleep so soundly.  I've cut out the Diet Pepsi and most caffeine, which I'm sure is contributing.   

All this rest isn't translating into great workouts, though - don't seem to have much stamina right now....

Sugar Dragon def. rearing his head for me today, big time.  Annoying but I'm still KHA.   :lol:   Reminder of what an emotional eater i am and how my whole relationship with food needs fixin'.  As I've seen others say, just holding on tight to the rules, they are my guiding light right now.    

Hey other June 10ther starters-- tomorrow we will be in the DOUBLE DIGITS, woot woot!  

I feel so much better today! Yesterday I had a Snack Dragon attack--I couldn't seem to stop eating. I'm definitely an over-eater and an emotional eater and I was having a rough day. But I had a great Crossfit workout this morning (AMRAP kills me but I love it) and came home to make a delicious marinara zucchini pasta with hot Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, and orange bell peppers. Best of luck to everyone on Day 9!

Woot! Day 9 in the bag! Spaghetti squatsh/ground meat/jalapeños for breakfast with frozen blueberries and coffee with coconut oil. Piece of filet and raw veggies for lunch....snacked on the raw veggies along with some cashews and a club soda during movie with the kids, more veggies and steak for dinner. Sleeping is great, best in years...mild headache much of the day, not as moody. Looking forward to that tiger blood feeling soon!

Day 11 (because I started on the 8th) in the bag! Generally I'm feeling better, but not quite Tiger Blood yet. On Sunday night I accidentally made my Natural Calm with three teaspoons instead of two, and, well...let's just say I'll be laying off the Natural Calm for a while. But otherwise, my energy has been good, if not necessarily consistent (up at 5:30 one morning, up at 7 the next, which plays havoc with my morning workouts).

One thing I noticed last night is that after the initial carb flu headache, I hadn't had a headache in over a week, which is a record for me. So I've been feeling all proud and swanky. I paid a price for my hubris tonight after work. I *thought* I had had enough food at lunchtime today -- but I didn't take into account the new kettlebell workout I did this morning, or the amount of time I spent reading a computer screen today. By about 6:30 my head was pounding and there was a vise grip around my left eye. I felt worse than awful. 

But! This ends well after all! I took my pounding head into the kitchen to start prepping for dinner. I was about to go for the Advil bottle, when a thought popped into my head: "Apricots." I hadn't been craving them up to that point, I wasn't in the grip of Sugar Dragon, and while I was a little hungry, I wasn't particularly ravenous. But all of a sudden, I felt as if apricots were what I needed. In the fridge was a small bag of Blenheim apricots I had bought at the farmer's market last Friday. Blenheim apricots are one of my favorite fruits in the world, and their season is short, so when I can find them, I snap them up.

I had two. (They're tiny, about the size of a shooter marble.) Within five minutes my headache was gone, and I could get to the business of making more courgette noodles. Which I did.  :)

Day 10!!! Whooo-hooo!

Last night I went to spinning. I didn't think I'd make it through since I'm getting back on the exercise wagon. But I did. I went home and had a nice dinner (which I couldn't finish). Only problem was that I didn't get to sleep until 1am. With only 6 hours of sleep, I'm hoping to make it through the day without any challenges. I'm a night owl which is my problem but I love to work out in the morning. I've resolved to be in bed by 10pm tonight. I was listening to the Paleo View podcast and it talked about sleeping issues leading to stress and overeating. So it's early to bed for me!

Breakfast:

Eggs with coconut oil sauteed onions

Cucumbers and tomatoes

Kombucha

Lunch:

Spare ribs

London Broil

Sauerkraut

Dinner: TBD

How is everyone doing?

Still waiting on the tiger blood, but I tried on my "whole30" shorts and no wedgie today! I'll take the little victories!

Have a great day!

I am still experiencing that "wiped out" feeling...had to nap this afternoon. Sleeping well all night. Anyone else feeling this?

Yeah, i had a sneaky snooze this afternoon as well & thoroughly enjoyed every minute  -_-

I'm happy i've no idea what day i'm on until i come on here  :lol:

Breakfast - beef mince, butternut squash & coconut milk

Lunch - lamb gyro meat with spring greens, sweet potato noodles & balsamic vinegar, a few cherries after

Dinner - morroccan meatballs (a la Well Fed) with either courgette noodles or cauliflower rice, i haven't decided yet

Feeling quite chilled out today. We've actually had some hot weather, so i got to bask in the sun with a cup of green tea, which was very welcome. Keep on keeping on everyone!

Still waiting on the tiger blood, but I tried on my "whole30" shorts and no wedgie today! I'll take the little victories!

nikiuw, this made me grin so hard. And as far as I'm concerned, that's not a little victory! Go, you!

Also, I want to apologize to everybody for the complete and utter navelgazing in my post last night. I don't usually rabbit on like that without at least saying hello to the room. I think I was so relieved that my headache was gone that I ended up babbling like a silly person. Och.

I hope everyone has a great Day 10 (or whatever day you're on)!

Day 10 (yay! :D).   Sugar Dragon still around but I feel much more in control of the situation than when I started.  My worst days were today and a few days ago when I let myself get too hungry.  I have made it through but it's a learning thing and another reminder of how critical preparation will be to my success.  I find myself thinking I'll do Whole 90--no Whole100--no Whole365!    And then I have to breathe and say shut the heck up, one day, or at least one Whole30. at a time.  

Hope y'all are okay!       

Hi all! Congrats again on a week one down (or more)!  All of this discussion of sleep prompts me to relay a recent experience.  I normally work nights and recently had to head home for a couple of days and I ended up getting really screwed up on my sleep...7 hours total in about 72 hours...not worth the details why...the reason I mention it was that prior to that deprivation, I had been feeling fantastic-->better than in decades!  Not only sleep screwed up, but did not have the nicely stocked kitchen at hand, and was eating most meals out.

That sleep loss brought out a sugar demon (which is not one of my problems) and evil thoughts of "why am I doing this???"  I was amazed at the importance of sleep in my overall well-being! I had not had such a tangible lesson in a long time.

Luckily, I took my own advice and realized WHY it was happening and DID NOT give in...I pat myself on the back for the excellent choices I made and the handling of the cravings.  I just kept visualizing the beauty and richness of the food I have been eating and the absolute disgusting food that I now know is fast food, or deep fried food, or __________fill-in-the-blank food! It just wasn't worth the derailing...

Got back into my environment and got some sleep ( 9 hours ) and am all caught up...went to gym and had an incredible sprint and upper body weight workout (not a crossfitter).  Excited to start Day 9 tomorrow and after this 12 hour shift, catch some ZZZ's...

ONward all!!!  :P

Day 10! Yay!! Another good day in the books de to critical planning. I sure don't feel that tiger blood yet, but I definitely feel better than a week ago and my belly is very happy. I laugh at the "I'll do the whole 90, no the whole 365" comment...I can TOTALLY relate to that...a do my response to myself, which was very similar "shut the hell up, Wendy, and get through the 30 days. Lol

I can't believe we're in double digits!  Wahoo!

It has been harder to stay within guidelines while at my mom's - I have tried to be Whole30 compliant while dining out, but I woke up this morning feeling quite awful - had a headache and was in a surly mood - so methinks I might've been consumed something that was inflammatory last night by accident, even though my many questions to servers at the Thai restaurant I went to.  I know that you can't let the Whole30 get in the way of your life, so I'm just chocking it up to a part of the whole experience.

I am very much looking forward to going back to my apt (even though that means my vacation is over! Boo!) so I can get back to the normal pace of life. 

Hope everyone has a great end to day 10 and start to day 11! 

Another day in the bag  :D

Breakfast - beef mince, butternut squash & coconut milk, with a bit of cauliflower rice pilaf mixed in

Lunch - lamb gyro meat, sweet potato noodles & spring greens, with balsamic vinegar & green olives

Snack - 2 big sticks of celery, one with egg mayo, the other with homemade almond butter (i didn't rate the almond butter one much!)

Pre-dinner snack (cos my OH is late for tea & i'm HUNGRY!!) - a few cherries

Dinner - oxtail ragout & courgette noodles (can't wait!)

Then again, here i am keen for my dinner, but not in the old way of "i'll pass out if i don't eat RIGHT NOW!", nor in my more recent way of "well, i should be hungry, but i'm not really as i spent all afternoon stuffing my face with chocolate". I'll take that as a win  :lol:

Dodgy Internet connection here the last few days which is driving me wild, but food-wise all good. Other than feeling really really smug about my food choices and not being tempted enough to actually put any chocolate / wine in my mouth, I feel just the same as ever. Have started wondering what I might like to add back in post w30, and came up with yoghurt, oats, and peanut butter. (I know, I know, I've read the rant about peanut butter, which is why I haven't decided). Think I need to stay well away from any sugar related food though. Impressed that I am so confident that the rest of my w30 will be a diddle and wondering what I will do after.

Successful & compliant Day 11 here BUT that Sugar Dragon very much around me.  Last week was, I thought, much easier than expected so maybe this is my tough one.  Also trying to keep in mind I'm now officially at the start of my Week Before Period, so that could well be a large part of it.  In any case, trying to stay focused on long term healing and that there is NO option other than being compliant.  

The line in ISWF (or is it on the website, cant recall?) about this not being hard, cancer is hard, etc. etc.  resonates so so so much for me.   It's my "support" when I start having visions of ice cream and such.  It also helps me to report back to this thread daily, so hey fellow Whole30-ers, THANKS.   :wub:

Hope everybody is well!     

Archived