Support for people starting 6/10/13

It seems like this board is a little quiet these days. I hope it's because everyone is focused and driven on their Whole30 plan!

I've had a busy week at work that invited a few challenges. But I'm holding strong. I do need more sleep. That's my goal for the weekend: at least 8 hours of sleep each night.

I'm running out of my GT's Kombucha. It's so pricey but then I used to send a few pennies on drinks. It's a good swap.

How is everyone doing?

I'll be happy when I see Day 15. That will make me happy.

Is anyone doing non-food rewards? Each week I'm giving myself a treat. For the first week, I bought 3 work out shirts from Old Navy. Next week: pedicure with a shoulder rub.

Ok, back to the grind. Ready for lunch....crock pot beef with squash. Yummers!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A real quick post-- just realized I haven't had a headache in a few, maybe several days.  A small victory and presumably good sign as I starve that Sugar Dragon to death and resist the urge to mindlessly eat which was/is a big problem for me in my pre-Whole 30 life...11 days ago and all.   :rolleyes:     

The past few days I've definitely been eating mindlessly...the snacks I've been eating are all Whole30 friendly, but my goal for today is to eat only when I'm hungry and to silence those cravings!

My summer job is working in an ice cream shop and I work a lot this weekend. I'm a little nervous about the inevitable sugar cravings, but I'll do my best to work through them :) 

Have a great day 12 everyone!

-madie

Hi all! Busy work week, but it has been great! I am amazed at the lack of in between meals hunger! From years of dieting famine and feast cycling, it is nice to feel satisfied and sustained. I think the fats are the key! My workouts have been good, and I am almost done with a great Day 10! Yeah!

Even bigger news, I am going to the Whole9/30 Seminar in Arlington, VA tomorrow!!!! Can't believe how lucky that I am deployed to D.C. and they are holding it here, and my work schedule worked out!!! KISMET!!!

So excited to get to see Dallas and Emily tomorrow <~~~ Shameless groupie...

I have become a Whole30 preacher!  Getting my sister and brother-in-law on board, and anyone who wants to talk food and health!  The checkout lady at Trader Joe's asked me what I used the light coconut milk for...and I launched into a chicken curry, coffee,,,Whole30 discussion...She wrote it down to go looking and was impressed by the groceries I bought...further proof of the "be a silent witness" philosophy :) 

Hang in there everyone! Have a great second week! Loving the stability and the FOOD!!! Hippee :wub:

Hippee,

I'm in Arlington, too! I'm not going to the seminar since I have a conflict but you'll have to fill us in on how it went. Very jealous!

Cooked two eggs in ghee tonight. So good. It's sad that ghee isn't more popular. People need to know and experience how awesome it is.

Biggest challenge this weekend: I'm getting a book at the library that is a bartender's memoir and I know I'll want to read and sip...but I'll be sipping Kombucha!

Stay strong everyone!

Wow...day 12 under our belt!! I've noticed a bit more cravings than usual. But on the flip side, not hungry or snacking at all! Filet, kale and avocado, froz blueberries, coffee w/coconut oil for breakfast. Just a few radishes mid morning, deli turkey, carrots and radishes around 4, then kale slaw, turkey, quick made guac (avocado, onion, jalap, lime), black olives. Yum and very filling! I can't believe we are almost 1/2 way through! Long weekend of softball...got all my food prepped and lots of water to drink!

Niki...I'll definitely share from the seminar!  Packed a great lunch of egg salad and cole slaw with homemade mayonnaise...Who knew that could be so easy and so good !!! 

So good. It's sad that ghee isn't more popular. People need to know and experience how awesome it is.

I agree GHEE is my new favorite food...Was almond butter, but man, nothing better than Ghee...eggs and spinach sautéed and so yum!  Although not surprising, Indian inspired food is my favorite!

PWMURF, good luck on the weekend! all your food sounds so yummy! Enjoy...don't share with anybody or you won't have enough to eat! Even if they beg!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!  Time is clicking by! Day 11 for me and I feel FANTASTIC! Now, off to some chicken and spinach in ghee and avocado for breakfast :) Hippee

Happy Saturday! How's everyone feeling?

Today is Day 15 for me, which is kind of mindblowing. Except for some terrible crash diets I went on as a teenager, I think this is the longest I've ever gone without grains or refined sugar. It's definitely the longest that I've gone without dairy, because even those terrible crash diets included small amounts of butter (and larger amounts of saccharine-sweetened "yogurt," which makes me wince at how many of those I ate). 

Yesterday I underate at lunch. I packed a Scotch egg, with the plan of eating it as a snack after court (I'm a lawyer) and before my lunchtime trip to the farmer's market. The plan was to go to court, eat the egg, go shopping, do some more work from the office, go home to work out, and eat lunch afterwards.

As it turned out, court ran long. So I went to court, rushed back to the office to get my bags, went to the market, came back to the office, ate the egg, did a little more work, went home and worked out. I figured that since it was a recovery workout day (yin yoga), I wouldn't be fooling with my metabolism too much. Heh. I never did get a proper lunch, and as a result, I ended up grazing for the rest of the day, until dinnertime. Fortunately, I didn't go off-plan, but I really try not to engage in mindless grazing, because that was a big problem for me pre-Whole 30. Sheesh. I ended up grazing on leftover roast chicken, leftover roasted celery root, leftover canned salmon with mayo. Cherry tomatoes. The last of the massaged kale salad (which I should have just packed with the damn Scotch egg). Half a handful of white raspberries from the market haul. Little bits of everything. I kept reminding myself that little bits add up, but really, I'm amazed that I didn't just nosedive into everything.

Fortunately, dinner (leftover curry made with onion, red bell pepper, spinach, ground beef, coconut milk and Penzeys Maharajah blend) was substantial enough to kill the noshing urge for the rest of the night. But man oh man, consider my lesson learned.

Another two days done - didn't get a chance to come on here yesterday, so here we are - 

Breakfast - minced beef, butternut squash, spring greens & coconut milk

Lunch - pak choi, courgette noodles, beef mince & sunshine sauce (a la Well Fed - yum!)

Snack - (this is so caveman it makes me chuckle) a couple of chunks of braised lamb's heart out of the casserole i was making

Dinner - beef kaldereta & cauliflower rice

Post-workout snack - some more braised heart with roasted beetroot

I did my 3rd session of crossfit-style class & it went really well. The first week i'd had a major biscuit binge that afternoon, the second week i was on the 1st week of this & felt a bit wobbly, but this week it all fell into place, i'd have gone round again  :lol:

Today...

Breakfast - braised heart & spring greens, a few cherries

Lunch - pak choi, beef mince & sunshine sauce

Snack - a few cherries & macadamia nuts

Dinner - herbed chicken with lemon & something TBC... i quite fancy some sweet potato, or maybe cauliflower rice again.

BRING ON TOMORROW!!  :D

Today was my hardest day so far.  I think because I ate out twice for the first time since I began.  I haven't figured out how to socialize on this challenge yet.  I'm great as long as I'm eating meals I cooked, but really stressed while eating out.  I got a salad on the Hidden Menu at Panera Bread.  I had them hold the bacon and the only dressing is lemon and olive oil.  It was ok.  Not something I'd want again.  And for dinner, a big group of us went out to a Greek restaurant for Father's Day.  I had a salad, no cheese, with oil and vinegar and a hamburger steak with onion, bell pepper, and jalapenos.  Then we all went to the local ice cream shop where I watched everyone eat ice cream.  On the way home I was trying to figure out why I'm still doing this.  My husband helped me realize why.  When we got home he kept complaining about how bad he felt and how full he was.  Thank you hubby!!!  I don't feel bad, too full, bloated, etc.. at all!  I feel content.

I hope tomorrow is better.

Cravings at an all time high today...hard to watch everyone eating subs, chips, cookies, ice cream, slushies, etc at an extremely long day at the softball fields....left for the fields at 5:45am, just got home at 9:15pm...thankful for my husband who kept me on track.....reminded me of how hard I've worked when I was tempted to eat some deli meat that someone else brought in a lettuce wrap...seemed innocent enough but could have really messed me up. On To day 14!!

Hi everyone! The Arlington seminar yesterday was excellent!  Great information from Emily and Dallas.  Lots of time in the pre-lunch session focused on the 4 food standards and the brain and gut aspects of food.  They made it all very practical and usable and were extremely attentive to everyone's questions and comments, even when it slowed down the works :)

I met some amazing folks who all shared the frustration of years of doing "the right thing" and not getting health and weight results.  One beautiful 62-yr old who just took the bull by the horns and embraced Paleo/Whole9 at 60 and hasn't looked back...True inspiration!

I went a little groupie and had cutie pie Dallas sign my book!  My sister will be jealous :)

Overall, time and money very well spent!  Afternoon got into the specifics of the do and don't foods and the discussions were great...

I'll organize my notes and see if I have any gems!

I brought my lunch and stayed on plan all day even with a dinner out at Outback. Not difficult with the veges and meat options.  Even though I am, like all of you, strict, I also am not going to freak out if there is something hidden in a meal out that I didn't anticipate when ordering (i.e. seasoned salt on steamed veges...really?)  Part of the philosophy is to de-stress...If we are doing our earnest best, then we are on track!  Sounds like you all are doing awesome!  Me, too!  Just got up (night shift schedule) had my PWO snack and heading to gym! SPRINTS here I come :)  Have a great one, everyone!!!! Hippee

Week 2 nearly done  :)

Breakfast - braised hearts with roast beetroot

Snack - hard boiled egg with salt & pepper (had just before lunch, as i was hungry & wasn't sure what would be available!)

Lunch - salmon, salad & mixed mushroom antipasto, with a few strawberries after (we were visiting the in-laws - my MIL does her best, but has a hard time understanding why ANYONE would pass up on pudding, she's even bought a supply of "Free From" puddings, which are ok non-Whole30, but definitely not during!! Luckily, there were several other family members there, plus a baby & toddlers, so i was able to smoothly transition to another room & avoid the whole pud situation altogether)

Snack - macadamias & cherries (after we got home, cos lunch wasn't that filling!)

Dinner - chicken with butternut squash & figs, with some spring greens (looking forward to it!)

I made Mexican braised beef from the nom nom paleo book today....super simple and the whole family loved it! I made the family cheesy potatoes and I had a small sweet potato with coconut oil. Also made sautéed asparagus, a family fav. Highly recommend the meat dish! Can't believe two weeks are down.....I have definitely had the most intense cravings the last couple of days (at the softball fields) but I think one reason might be missing some more complex carb, like sweet potato or squash that i usually have for breakfast and had to rely on cashews for fat instead of getting my morning fill in my coffee and with my breakfast meal. Can't wait for that tiger blood!!

Made it through Day 14, and I continue to have two constants since we started on June 10-- overall feeling MUCH better (getting glowy skin back, energy up, and so on).  Second-- still thinking of sweets, not in a crazed craving way, just on my mind some.  I am trying to just ignore it and hope with enough time I won't think of sweets at all.  

Hope everyone has had a nice summer weekend! 

Funny, I'd been thinking about sweets a lot the last few days too. Then yesterday evening i was sorting out my Paleo Foods Master Binder (ha!) & found a print off of "What to expect during your Whole30" - days 8-15 was "boundless energy, now give me a damn Twinkie" :-)

Day 16's meant to see the start of Tiger Blood...

Apologies for my absence - still struggling with broadband at home (we are so rural the Internet doesn't always stretch this far!) still going strong but like many of you, visions of sugarplums dance in my head.... Wanting off plan things more strongly for a few days there. My planning has all gone wrong too, and the only things in my fridge are cabbage and a chicken braise, both of which I made in huge quantities last night and they are both stomach-turning. Sigh. Still I ate them for breakfast and am going shopping later so hope to turn it round soon!

Wow, we are halfway done (well, one more day). I went to my first CrossFit session on Saturday morning. Of course, it was a long WOD. I did it at the lowest level, because I'm just getting back after a three week break. I finished in 29:52 so I was happy. I was aiming for under 30min. I

I'm stilling stabbing the sugar dragon. He's still there, breathing little puffs of fire and smoke. In addition, I really need to slay the wine troll. He's still tempting me. To make myself feel better, I've been serving my Kombucha in martini glasses. My boyfriend thinks I'm a nut.

Coffee question for the group: I had coffee two times since I started the Whole30, and both times, it's "moved" everything and required bathroom visits. I never had this problem before, but I wasn't drinking much coffee before. I know it's not the brand: one was Dunkin Donuts and the second French Press from a restaurant. Anyone have coffee and bathroom problems?

I hope everyone is hanging in there.

@Hippee-Glad you had a great time!!!

Hi, all!

We're at the halfway point.  I can't even believe it!  

I am not craving, but I just want things I can't have - it's easy to ignore, but I am just missing certains like...beer, especially on these hot summer days, and french fries mostly.  Needless to say, I'm looking forward to a beer on July 10th.   :) 

Niki - needing a BM straight after / during drinking coffee is a normal physiological response. True for any hot drink, but especially coffee (presumably because it's a stimulant?). If you are responding to it in a way you haven't before is probably because of other changes as a result of W30. I've totally gone off coffee - an unexpected bonus. I would have told you I was a caffeine junkie and it was something I didn't want to deal with on top of everything else, but as it turns out I've just gone off it.

e name="pigtailsbouncingagain" post="116273" timestamp="1372086999"]

I'm starting today 6/24, any helpful suggestions. I'm a little overwhelmed but excited to take on this new challenge. Thanks in advance for any support :)

lisa

Well welcome & enjoy! The first couple of days are easier than the next few, but stick with it & you should feel great. Loads of helpful stuff both in these forums & on the Whole9 site!

Hello Everyone!!  Happy Day 15!! 

Went to a birthday party yesterday and turned away lovely cake and other treats.  It was hard at first sight, but then I thought of how it would likely make me feel.  I finished out the party feeling good about my choices. 

Hope everyone is doing well!! 

Archived