Seared ginger citrus tuna with wilted greens and coconut curry butternut puree

Lizzard77

I went over to a friend's house for dinner tonight, my first night out since beginning my W30.  She was curious about what I was eating.  I told her to get the protein and I'd do the rest.  I came armed with an arsenal of veggies and seasonings.  This is what we came up with:

post-13029-0-95864500-1370572553_thumb.j

2 tuna steaks marinated in 1 cup mixed citrus juices and approx 2 tsp grated ginger.

Brown 2 cups butternut squash in coconut oil in a deep pan.  Add 1/2 can coconut milk and 1/4 cup water.  Turn down heat, cover and let simmer until squash is squishy.  When squishy, off heat and puree in a food processor or with a hand blender.

Meahwhile, heat some coconut oil in a skillet and add 2 cloves garlic, when garlic is fragrant, toss in your greens, I used foraged dandelion greens however, any type will do.  I used a big pile, perhaps 3-4 cups (not chopped, so they took up a lot of space).  Sprinkle in a few table spoons water. Cover and off heat.

Remove tuna from marinade, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Sear in coconut oil for 3-4 minutes per side.  Let rest on a plate while you make the citrus sauce.  Deglaze the pan with the marinade (you are bringing it back to a boil so will be safe to use).  Add a 2 tsp of cocnut aminos and allow to reduce and thicken.  When it's thick, taste and adjust salt (it will be very tart but there is a reason for this).  Off heat and add 1 tsp sesame oil.

On a plate, place 1 cup butternut puree.  Then add half the greens.  Place the tuna steak on top and drizzle a bit  of the pan sauce, the tartness with cut through the bitterness of the greens and the curry in the squash melding everything together.  Top everything with julienned fermented carrots and radishes. 

I served sauteed brussels and radish on the side. 

UUUMMMYUMMY!

Well done. You should be a great example of taking control of the situation and handling it beautifuly. This is my favourite marinde for tuna as well. I also love tuna braised in olive oil in the oven. Amazing method.

I also love tuna braised in olive oil in the oven. Amazing method.

Nadia, do you actually cook it in a bath of olive oil in the oven or are you basting it throughout the cooking?  I am intrigued, tell me more, please :)

Exactly! Cooked in bath of oil. I was looking at this recipe but was hesitating. Then I've tried it and ah!oh!magic! kind of moment happened. If I had to chose a protein to eat to the rest of my life it would be fresh tuna probably. What's really cool about this recipe that the oil from cooking helps to keep fish for a long time in the fridge. I guess same thing as when you "seal" pate with fat.  

Thanks, I have poached fish in oil on the stove top before, not in the oven but when I made it, it was absolutely to die for.  I never thought about the preserving factor though, what a great way to make up some tuna at the beginning of the week for a few lunches.  I could probably eat fish for every dinner and tuna is definitely one of my favorites.  Good looking out :P

Nadia, that is a gorgeous dish. Gorgeous. Generally I shy away from winter squashes when the summer squash season starts, but this is making me not only willing, but longing to eat a butternut. Well done!

"Generally I shy away from winter squashes when the summer squash season starts, but this is making me not only willing, but longing to eat a butternut"

Bakerina, I don't typically eat butternut this time of year either however, I a trying to get as large a variety of vegetable in as possible.  This was a nice way to "summer it up" , the coconut milk and curry paste gave it a nice light flavor.  Butternut is now a staple in my fridge, I cube it up and keep it in a storage container to easily make a puree or add it to veggie sides.  Thank you for the high complements!

Archived