Choko and bitter melon

percypat

I've given myself a challenge to find and eat a new vegetable every week.  

Last week it was patty pan squash and purple carrots, this week I've got some okinawan sweet potatoes (all pretty and purple inside!).

I think I have found contenders for the next couple of weeks - choko and bitter melon.  I think the choko will be ok as it sounds like quite a mild, neutral sort of vegetable but the bitter melon looks scary!  Have been looking for recipes, but the nicer stir fry ones call for coconut aminos which I can't find here, and I'm a bit worried about adapting flavours when the flavour of the melon itself is so distinct.

Any suggestions?  (Even for the choko - always open to ideas!).

Was just reading up on bitter melon and it sounds SO good for you.  Keen to add it to our growing repertoire, just not sure what to do with it!

My husband is from south India and we eat bitter melon often when we visit.  He doesn't much care for it so I don't cook it home except a few times a year.  The following recipe is from his family, we used to eat them over rice but I bet it would be delicious over cauli-rice.

4 to 5 bitter melons

¼ cup of very diluted tamarind water

½ teaspoon salt (maybe 1 teas. if melons are big)

½ teaspoon turmeric ½ tsp each.

Slice the melons crosswise about 1/8 inch in thickness. Toss it with the tamarind water, salt and turmeric, and cook it until just tender. Let it cool. Oil a plastic sheet or aluminum trays and spread the circles out to dry for a couple of days. Then fry them in oil and enjoy.

If you have some indian style spices on hand like, black mustard seeds or asafoetida I can send you a few more recipes.  What ever you end up making, it is really best to salt and simmer the gourd for a bit to reduce the bitter flavor.  It can take your breath away if you are not used to it.  I would love to hear what you end up making!

• 2 weeks later...

I got chokos (chayote) this week ...  It seemed a bit less scary than the bitter melon!  But I will definitely get there.  That recipe looks awesome!  Maybe I'll try that for my virgin attempt :)  Thanks!

My mom makes bitter melon at home all the time! It tastes delicious...... It is hard to get that bitter bite out of it though. Let me know if your recipe worked out... I'm gonna see if my mom can email me what she does (magic?) to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I never got there either :(

Cooked mine tonight and did a loose version of this: http://kirantarun.com/food/2012/08/24/oven-crisped-bitter-gourd-kerala/

Basically baked bitter melon "chips".  Jury is out on this one.  Husband thought it was disgusting.  I found the bitterness offputting, yet went back for a couple more.  I think it's the kind of thing I can eat a little bit of, but not much and not often.

I've still got the best part of an oven tray full so I'm going to let them dry off a bit more and give them a good grind of salt and have a couple with my meals over the next couple of days.  Glad I tried it out anyway!  If you do get around to the stuffed recipe, let me know.

My mom makes bitter melon at home all the time! It tastes delicious...... It is hard to get that bitter bite out of it though. Let me know if your recipe worked out... I'm gonna see if my mom can email me what she does (magic?) to it!

Yarpie581, yes please!  Would be super keen to hear what magic she does :)

Archived