9 weeks and diagnosed with hypothyroidism

Ugh. So this first trimester has been rough. I was finishing a Whole30 about 5 weeks in and doing well. Around 6.5 weeks my food aversions kicked in big time, and my favorite breakfast of eggs and sweet potatoes immediately became revolting. The only thing I can stand to put in my mouth is toast. And now I got my bloodwork back with hypothyroidism. I know I need to get back to eating better but every time I try, I heave. I can't imagine though that two weeks of eating some toast would cause hypothyroidism when I've never had any indications of even being on the cusp. This isn't my first time being pregnant. With my first, I didn't even think to eat clean and I had no issues, no nausea, nothing. Anyways, I'm super frustrated and could use some help from other preggos or mommies that were able to successfully get through this stage and eat clean. Please help! Thanks :)

Nutmegh,

I assure you that two weeks of toast does not throw a thyroid out of whack. I'm not going to comment on the diagnosis, because thyroid conditions and testing are super complicated, but I can try to help you with food aversions. I actually wrote an article about this while I was pregnant: http://whole9life.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

The key is to try to find compliant-ish foods that will satisfy the same taste/texture/flavor. If you can't find anything compliant that fits the bill, go with something less bad (like gluten-free bread, or white rice). And know that this too will pass, and as soon as it does, you can get back to a more normal diet.

Hang in there!

Melissa

H Melissa,

Thanks for the article reference. Feel a bit better. And thanks for snapping me out of my toast funk. Sometimes its hard to see beyond what you currenlty know. I'm sure I can manage rice or gluten free bread. I guess my food associations at this point are pretty strong so when I open my fridge all the associations come back and nothing looks appetizing. Very frustrating but I must pull myself together and get past it. The hard part about all this is that it's very easy to give up when you feel like poo all day long! Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I was diagnosed as hypo as a result of my recent pregnancys' blood panel. I was later diagnosed with Hashimotos. That combined with being on progesterone made the beginning of my pregnancy very difficult. (I was on a whole30 when I got my positive pregnancy test)

Throughout the whole pregnancy I learned to just take one day at a time and do my best to just get through it. Don't beat yourself up for that piece of toast and don't stress about anything. Just focus on each day and doing the best you can.

Archived