Day 12 Hello and Thank You!

SaraG

Day 11 was the first time I seriously thought about giving up. Clean eating leaves you facing life without the buffer of numbing food or alcohol. But I reached out to a couple of people (in person and on the phone), got some perspective, and here I am feeling strong and committed on day 12.

My thank you is for this wonderful forum. This is my first post but I have been here reading every day. I read the book before I began but this forum provides a huge amount of information. It is hands-down the most supportive sensible forum I've been on.

I had been wheat and sugar free for four months prior after reading wheat belly. So in some ways I was feeling really good. Not quite there yet. I had heard about this a while back but blew it off as crazy restrictive. I almost didn't try it when I realized I would have to give up my beloved artificial sweeteners. But that's been the greatest revelation of all. That not only would I survive, I would thrive! Food tastes so much better without.

Last week I was out for dinner and my companions were getting weirded out by all the things I was trying to avoid. You can blend in with Wheat Belly, but there is no being subtle with Whole30. However earlier in the day I had compiled a list of all the different veggies I had eaten that week ( got the idea from this forum) and had the list on my phone. I read the list and I guarantee you that no one else at the table had eaten 18 different vegetables in five days.

I realized then that instead of shrinking my diet I was expanding it. Every day brings new insight and respect for this way of eating.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share their experience and knowledge here. It's been an essential part of my success. Sara

Great insight! I'm on day 30 but completing a Whole37 and likely a bit more. It has been a great experience. I read on Nom Nom Paleo's blog that sweet potatoes taste like marshmellows. That is so true! When all of your sweeteners are removed then you can actually taste real food.

I may need to just suck it up and try sweet potatoes... I never liked them before but today is day 12 of my 2nd w30 and i am actually having a hard time. I don't feel like i did during my first w30 and can't figure out why...i know days 1-15 are the hardest so i am hoping by this weekend i have found that natural energy and can go go go like i did before. I need to really commit and make sure my head and heart are in this. Your post was a great segway for me!

It wasn't a favorite of mine either. I use it like a condiment. I cook one and use about a fourth of it at a time in addition to my nonstarchy vegetables. However, I discovered acorn squash this week! Acorn Squash! Where have you been my whole life????? ( cut in half, rubbed with coconut oil, and roasted at 375 until done). Filled half with chili tonight. I've already eaten a whole one earlier this week.

I truly think eating higher carb vegetables has made all the difference. I eat my protein and fat per the template plus two cups of the lower carb vegetables. Then I add some sweet vegetable. I feel good, haven't had to snack, and really look forward to and enjoy my meals.

Hopefully feeling good is just around the corner for you!

I may need to just suck it up and try sweet potatoes... I never liked them before but today is day 12 of my 2nd w30 and i am actually having a hard time. I don't feel like i did during my first w30 and can't figure out why...i know days 1-15 are the hardest so i am hoping by this weekend i have found that natural energy and can go go go like i did before. I need to really commit and make sure my head and heart are in this. Your post was a great segway for me!

Little Peanut,

I never liked them much either.  But then I reliazed that everytime before I had them prepared in a sweet way - (pre whole 30) with cinnamon and maple syrup.  Which I really, really did not like.  Then I started prepping them in a savoury way - salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary and paprika.  Yummm.  I love them now.

It wasn't a favorite of mine either. I use it like a condiment. I cook one and use about a fourth of it at a time in addition to my nonstarchy vegetables. However, I discovered acorn squash this week! Acorn Squash! Where have you been my whole life????? ( cut in half, rubbed with coconut oil, and roasted at 375 until done). Filled half with chili tonight. I've already eaten a whole one earlier this week.

---------

I think I just might need to try acorn squash next week!

I will have to look on making them a new way... i'm on Day 14 today and I'm finally doing a little better... though I keep having chronic headaches that are terribly painful (I've never been a real headache person or have migranes at ALL so this bothers me)...

my eye sight has changed a little (for the better) so hoping in the next day or so things get lighter in my head... otherwise I feel like it might be something else :( 

Hope everyone is doing smashingly well on their W30!! Have a fabulous weekend-- WE'RE HALFWAY!

Cheers!

Archived