Sausage

Thanks Adagio! I ordered some of that yesterday after I found that the breakfast seasoning wasn't compliant. :)

I just used my Italian sausage seasoning on some ground chicken. Cooked up the patties, plated up my breakfast. Then looked at the bottle to read the ingredients to my husband. There is sugar as the last ingredient!! I SWEAR that I looked up the ingredients before I ordered and they compliant. I looked at their site today and indeed sugar is listed. :angry:

I just used my Italian sausage seasoning on some ground chicken. Cooked up the patties, plated up my breakfast. Then looked at the bottle to read the ingredients to my husband. There is sugar as the last ingredient!! I SWEAR that I looked up the ingredients before I ordered and they compliant. I looked at their site today and indeed sugar is listed. :angry:

How annoying!! I made the sausage seasoning from well fed and it was fab! I used half the chilli listed.

As I understand it, we are only supposed to eat sausage that it grass-fed/pastured, because it is a fattier meat product, and if we can't get grass-fed, then stick to leaner meats. So, if the product is grass-fed/organic/pastured, AND sugar and additive free, then go for it!

Holly -

Consider it a lesson in reading labels. It shouldn't affect you enough to make it necessary to restart your Whole30, but you'll want to be especially careful from here on out.

Bridgedurso -

In an ideal world, we'd all have great access to grass-fed or organic animal products, that's for sure. However, we don't set rules about the sourcing of your meats. Are conventionally raised sausages the best option? Probably not. But the occasional sausage (with approved ingredients) can make for some necessary variety during these 30 days.

As I understand it, we are only supposed to eat sausage that it grass-fed/pastured, because it is a fattier meat product, and if we can't get grass-fed, then stick to leaner meats. So, if the product is grass-fed/organic/pastured, AND sugar and additive free, then go for it!

Bridgedurso, while pork is the worst meat in regards to conventional farming, this doesn't completely exclude it from your W30. Get the highest quality proteins you can afford. If you can't afford organic/pastured pork, eat conventional, but do it soaringly, and stick to the lean cuts.

However, If treatment of animals is a very important cause for you, then you may want to just exclude pork from your diet if you can't afford better options, but this is not a requirement of the program

• 4 weeks later...

HI Kate, don't know about Sydney but I have found an organic butchers that I get most of my meat from and it is all Whole30 compliant, some grass fed some grain fed. Might be worth looking for an organic butchers in your area.

Michelle

For great italian type sausage crumbles I toast up some fennel seeds in a dry pan, take them out and crush to a powder. Mix in some garlic, fresh chopped basil, and oregano, throw it back in the pan with ground turkey or ground pork or half and half. Cook it up and freeze in small batches. Use to make a sauce or I like to put this in lettuce and have like a lettuce wrap with some chopped tomatoes. No sugar in this:-)

Archived