Confused about amount of food to eat

Pensfan

My wife and I are day 8 (started June 1st) and at times we are still struggling with hunger between meals. After we eat we are both completely satiated, but only sometimes does it last until the next meal.  According to the ISWF Meal Planning PDF we are eating the 1-2 palms of protein, filling the plate with veggies, and using 1-2 thumbs of ghee, coconut oil, or olive oil.  

However I am confused about the rest of the list.  Are we to be eating the 1-2 thumbs of oils, AND 1-2 open handfuls of coconut, AND 1-2 open hands of olives, AND nuts, AND 1/2 Avocado, AND drink coconut milk?  Or should the ANDs be changed to ORs.

Thanks for the help and have a blessed day!

No just think or. Of course it is also fine to sprinkle coconut on your sweet potato and add whatever amount of ghee you think would be appropriate. Fat needs are individual. I have been known to swig coconut milk before a strenuous workout even though I had plenty of fat with breakfast.

It is good to vary your fats and don't skimp, but no, you aren't meant to have it all. You also aren't being told to only choose one so that is probably why they chose the word "and".

Is that explanation as clear as mud?

Yep, perfectly clear!  Thank you so much.

We were following the diet/exercise from the Primal Blueprint for about 6 months awhile ago and I lost just shy of 100lbs.  Some real life events hit us hard and we abandoned the primal lifestyle for the next 18 months and in that time I have gained about 40lbs back.  So we are very familiar with the need for good clean fats, I was just curious if we were eating enough of them haha.  Based on your input, we are definitely eating the right amount.  I think we just need time to adapt to eating less than the over-eating we were doing before.  

Thanks again for the input!

:D

Wow!!! 100lbs. Amazing. Fat will not make you fat so don't skimp.

I think I always struggle with wording the answer to that question because I dont want people to skimp but also know eating a serving of each would be overdoing it. Talk about "crowding other foods off of your plate...". ;0)

Thanks!  Yeah losing 100lbs was awesome, gaining back 40lbs sucked hardcore haha.  

Definitely agree about fat!  We were still eating I would guess about 80% Primal for the 18 months after our house fire, but that 20% was pretty brutal.  For me my weakness was salty/crunchy rather than sweets.  So I was far more prone to buy a bag of chips at the grocery store and eat them on the way home instead of a candy bar.  Still horrible for you I know haha.  Combine that with we were definitely overeating, both clean and bad foods, and I gained a lot of weight back.

So moving forward, I have more weight to lose but mostly getting back to where I can chase our 7y/o son around the yard, play lacrosse and soccer with him, and just be more fit in general. 

Eating right plus exercising right, means the scale with reflect that one day.  :)

• Moderators

The idea is to get some fat at every meal, but you don't have to eat the same amount of fat in every one. It is natural for there to be variety from meal to meal. For example, when you are eating slow cooker pork roast, you would not need to add anything to increase the fat content of your meal. However, if you were eating a grilled chicken breast, you would probably want to add some avocado or olives to make sure you got enough fat. Some meals could be fat heavy just because you like the way it tastes. For example, I sometimes add avocado slices to ground beef chili. The chili has a good amount of fat because I like 80/20 ground beef, but I like the avocado with it. The amount of fat you eat tends to balance out across a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived