Low FODMAP for atheletes?

So after a long, long time of having digestive issues, I think I have finally figured out what has been bothering my stomach. I went about a week and a half and eliminated all fruits and drastically reduced my veggie intake (like, probably 1-2 servings of veggie per day), and it was like a miracle, my stomach bloating and horrible gas went away. Fast forward to now, since I'm doing a Whole 30 I've been eating a lot more veggies, and well, the uncomfortable bloating and horrible gas is back. Cutting out just fruit isn't going to help. I really have to cut the veggies way down. But my issue with that is that I do a lot of endurance cardio (because I enjoy it, not because I feel I have to) so I need something to help fuel me for my workouts.....I'm thinking low FODMAP diet would be the best thing for me to do right now so my gut can heal, but how am I going to get enough carbs to fuel me for my workouts? To be honest, my workouts are already suffering a bit, I think my carbs are too low as it is. But I certainly can't add more veggies and fruits as that is only going to make the stomach issue worse.

I'm really at a loss. Isn't going really low carb probably not a good thing while being so physically active?

I think you need to make a decision on what to prioritize both in general as well as during your whole30: health or performance. Both goals are worthwhile, but it's hard to optimize both of them, given the FODMAP issue.

That being said, depending on the level of intensity that you're training at, you can definitely fuel your efforts with low FODMAP veggies. Carrots, squash, pumpkins are all low FODMAP.

I think you need to make a decision on what to prioritize both in general as well as during your whole30: health or performance. Both goals are worthwhile, but it's hard to optimize both of them, given the FODMAP issue.

That being said, depending on the level of intensity that you're training at, you can definitely fuel your efforts with low FODMAP veggies. Carrots, squash, pumpkins are all low FODMAP.

Ok, so I can still have butternut, acorn, those types of squashes?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

im also with this issue, i have found that since cutting out onions/garlic/and most fruits (berries are fine so far), i have noticed huge difference in my gas issues and bloating. i have noticed also that avocados are an issue, but squashes have been ok for me so far. good luck!

• 1 month later...

I just saw this thread and wanted to add my experience. I too am generally eating low FODMAPS although some veggies are tolerable to me. I train 2x day 4x/week and 1x on the 5th day. Weekends are off. I cant have nightshades or fruits and mostly no sweet veggies as they spike my blood sugar (including yams, carrots, winter squashes etc). I have found that parsley root, celeriac, fennel and a few others do work for me though. That being said I have upped my protein and fats and find that has improved my training. Remember too that sleep and hydration are crucial

I agree with what someone said above to cut down on training and focus on your healing and eating. I'm a pretty comeptitive cyclist/runner and I am pretty much taking October off to focus on my wellness.

One thing I've found is that I don't do well on lots of raw veggies so I cook them, usually steaming. Slightly cooked veggies seem to do better in my stomach. It's very sad that raw carrots will make me topple over in stomach cramps but it is what it is. Good luck!

Archived