Homemade Mayo - I think I'm officially DONE!

I was successful at this a few times, but no matter what I do it doesn't work for me now.  :(  

I just finished trying the stick blender and it's not working.  I had a room temp egg and everything.  I just don't know what else to do. :(

I've wasted a ton of ingredients over the last few days. Why doesn't' this work anymore???  

Have you tried using a food processor?  My first batch was a bit thin because I didn't know any better and did it on low speed.  Now I use high speed and so far, so good.  I use Melissa Joulwan's recipe (same as GFChris' link above), here's her post with written instructions: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

She suggests letting the egg and the lemon juice (or whatever acid you're using) sit together in the food processor or blender for awhile before starting the process - maybe try that?

Don't give up! My first few batches were a costly Disaster!

To the point where I bought a stick/immersion blender, paid the price for avocado oil, followed the guidelines in the cookbook Well Fed (that differed from the video on the clothes make the girl- same author) added the extra yolk, as per someone's advice and was finally successful.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I've had luck every batch so far *knocks on wood*...I use my immersion blender for it, but I don't continually add the oil. I start with the egg/lemon/.25 cup oil/mustard in alone (room temp), then blend until mixed. I forgot salt this time. Then I add oil until it starts to thicken and, once there, I add it 1 tbsp at a time, set down the cup, and move the stick around up and down throughout the mixture. 

...I feel like I'm super lucky and weird all at the same time. 

If you search it, there are several threads on saving mayo that doesn't set up properly.  Some, like Tom, use more ACV, some add an extra egg yolk, some start with a new egg and then drizzle in the mayo that didn't set the first time.  No need to throw it away!  You can make all kinds of dressings with it.

At first the hubinator was very doubtful and determined that nothing would replace his beloved Hellman's.  The first few batches he claimed to dislike.  This most recent batch however, he loved.  He kept asking what I did differently, insisting I must have changed something.  Nope, I think he just didn't want to admit that he actually liked it better!  

Too funny.  Hellman's was the only thing I really wanted back.  Still do.  Have been doing W30s without mayo because I hate making it.  But haven't felt as well as I should in between and wondering if it isn't the soybean oil in the Hellman's since it is one of the only things I've reintroed on a regular basis.  Guess I'm going to have another go at making my own.

Yay for mayo mojo!

Maryann, doesn't Hellman's have HFCS in it too? That's a deal-breaker for me, and the soy oil isn't great either. If it's an option for you, I'd recommend investing in a Cuisinart food processor. I know others have had great luck with blender-mayo, but this machine is a dream, it basically makes it for me. It has a feeder tube that you can just dump the oil in (or most of it - not sure if it holds a whole cup) and it drizzles it into the container in a slow, perfect stream, without you having to hold your arm over the thing. It's brilliant! Two minutes to mayo, without fail every time. Of course the FP can be used for many other things (ricing cauliflower in an instant) but I think 85% of the times I've used it has been for mayo!

My first batch wasn't the best - I used bottled lemon juice but the result seemed to have no flavor. After that I always used raw apple cider vinegar instead of lemon and it's spoon-licking delicious. I'd like to try lemon again to see if I can get some of that lemony flavor though - maybe I'll do half-and-half next time.

My first batch wasn't the best - I used bottled lemon juice but the result seemed to have no flavor. After that I always used raw apple cider vinegar instead of lemon and it's spoon-licking delicious. I'd like to try lemon again to see if I can get some of that lemony flavor though - maybe I'll do half-and-half next time.

----------

I've been using fresh-squeezed lemon juice and it works perfectly and is super delicious! I wonder if it might make for slightly less tangy mayo than apple cider vinegar, but I like my mayo not too tangy.

Archived