Martyr or stupid?

I am done with the 30 days, but like eating this way. I have no problem in restaurants, parties, saying no to sweets (in 4 months i have only eaten chocolate, pizza... 1x each) Sugar dragon not my issue.

My issue is food without breaks at certain times of the month/hormonal cycles and when stressed ( Like when the other day one of my students dropped the F bomb at me, and another student circulated a note around the classroom about me- the state of our public high school system) My food without brakes can be anything, 9.9 times out of 10 compliant, whatever is in the cupboards- dried fruit, pistachios, grape tomatoes, hb eggs...

I see the validity in not keeping certain items around the house, like the nuts or dried fruits however, I am trying to train myself to be satisfied with having a small bit with a meal as opposed to denying myself those foods altogether and then going overboard on other occasion.

I know my new best nemesis is that costly tiny bag of "go raw" cookies yet when in Whole Foods today, I bought a bag! They will sit in my cupboard until opened, and when I do open the bag, the old me will eat most of it in one sitting. But, like I said, I don't want to live a life of denial, then go overboard. Rather, I feel like I am at that point of actually retraining myself in my relationship to those foods.

I think your issue is maybe you need to retrain the way you react to stress, kind of like the Power of Habit tells you to. 

For without breaks, maybe pre-portion out some of those things or invest in small bowls, so that it feels like a unit.  Our brains tend to function in units, so there is something a little extra satisfying about finishing a bag.

I agree with yuubou that figuring out a non-food reaction to stress is key here. Even if you are eating compliant food you are not eating for the right reason and therein lies the issue. This something I've struggled with my entire life too. Maybe make a list of 3-5 things that make you feel calm and post them in places you store food so that you see them when you are on your stress rampage. 

Well, I haven't found the new ways to react to stress, but what you both have said makes completes sense and for some reason, after what you pointed out that even though I am eating compliant food I am "not eating for the right reason" the eating when stressed has seemed to lost its grip on me.

Proud to say, those foods (even found some Hail Merry Macaroons) are in the cupboards not calling to me. I portioned them out with dinner- portioned, ate and stopped.  I do enjoy occassional sweets, though not compliant I m beyond the 30 days and have found healthier raw options for the sweet occassion.

I still need to address new habits to create that calming sensation as I am sure those moments of wanting to just eat are bound to arise. I am actually in one big time now, recovering from mild head trauma and bodily injury from a bike accident, however, it would make me feel worse if I ate off track since my activity level has reduced to almost nil- so I am staying focused on eating super healthy!

Archived