JinksE's AIP10/Whole24 Adventure

Jinkse21

Day 1 - Take 2 with a Punch!

When I started my first Whole30, I thought it'd be one and done!  By the end, I made the decision to follow the Paleo lifestyle as much as possible with a few Whole30s throughout the year as a reset.  I never thought that would happen!  Stick with a "diet" that doesn't allow me to eat pasta, breads, soy, black beans???  Am I crazy??  I do believe I am!  :D

Over the last month, I took some freedoms that I am now paying the price for...wine, some dairy, added sugar, beer, a hamburger bun, crackers...all resulted in knee pain coming back, more RA flare-ups than I like, skin irritation on the back of my hands, horrible allergies, and finding a few pounds I had previously lost.  While I have still been making much better choices than before, I find it easier to make those "bad" choices again.  Whole30 helps keep that in check and reminds me why I need to take better care of myself!

After reading some of the posts on here about AIP, I decided I needed to give it a go for the first 10 days of my Whole 24 (leads up to 4th of July weekend away)!  It won't be that difficult since I don't really eat a lot of peppers and tomatoes but I will miss my eggs, sweet potatoes and Ghee.  :(   But it's only for 10 days, right??  I think I'll live...I'll just have to get more creative with my cooking!

Got on the scale this morning...191.9.  Blah!  Hoping to see some loss but have to keep reminding myself that weightloss is just a good side-effect of the plan.  Now to keep my feet from stepping on the scale!  :rolleyes:

Breakfast:

3 slices Applegate Naturals Roast Beef

3 slices Private Selection Prosciutto

2 100-calorie packs on Wholly Guacamole

Carrot and Zucchini sticks

I was getting ready to cut into some hard-boiled eggs this morning when I remembered that I couldn't have them.  My husband will be happy since he'll be able to eat all of them!

i bought Applegates roast beef this weekend.  Its pretty good!  I was also a turkey/ham girl growing up, but I take spinach and roll it up in the roast beef, and its a great Post-WO snack.

I have been reading about AIP here too.  I dont think I need it as I dont have any issues.  10 days, you will do great! 

Thanks msssjenna!  The roast beef is so good!  I love to roll up avocado in it!  ;)   As far as doing the AIP, it doesn't seem so impossible after finishing my first Whole30!  It's only 10 days then I can start adding those things back....I'm just worried my body will do better without the ghee!  :ph34r:

Very odd...I can edit my previous post to keep my day 1 entry going....  :(   Bah!  Oh well....

Lunch (Keystone Grill):

House Salad with Steak (Mixed Greens, Roasted Beets, Walnuts, EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar) 

The good thing about having done the W30 before is that I know where I can go to eat that are compliant!  So much easier!

I am hoping it stays quiet at work this afternoon so I can look up some veggie recipes to cookup tonight during my Monday cookup!  :D  

I am happy to find out that I can still have sweet potatoes!!!  Yea!!!!

Went to the grocery store to pick up a few veggies for this week and ended up leaving with all kinds of goodies that I've never cooked before like Swiss Chard and Rappini.  A cute little dress happened to find it's way into my cart too (the store carries groceries and clothes!  ^_^ )!  Gotta love summertime...being short, it pisses me off that maxi dresses are so cute but so freakin' long!  So, this time of year, I am able to find cropped pants and dresses that end up being the perfect length for me without having to get them hemmed!  :lol:

By the time I made it home, I talked myself out of making half the stuff I bought and ended up grilling a grass-fed rib eye (the one from Kroger), Trader Joe's grass-fed beef patties, and asparagus.  I roasted carrots and sauteed baby bella and enoki mushrooms as well.  Since I couldn't use Ghee for the mushrooms, I used some beef fat I had from when I made my bone broth.  It gave it such a nice beefy flavor to go on the steak and hamburgers.  The steak was so yummy and perfectly cooked!  I saved leftovers for the next day.  Yum! 

Dinner:

1/2 Grass-fed Rib Eye

Sauteed Mushrooms

Roasted Carrots

Grilled Asparagus

I managed to make myself go to bed shortly after 10:00 and I decided to read a little bit of ISWF so I could read the section about AIP. It was not that long at all which was a good thing because I was falling asleep!

Day 2 - Knee Pain Sucks

My left knee started having a sharp pain in it last night when I tried to walk it it but was fine when I was sitting or standing in one place.  Same thing this morning...  :(   I came close to working from home but since I'll be out for my surgery for over a month, I figured I'd come in...I work sitting all day anyway, right?  Well, the bathroom and my desk appear to be miles apart! I wonder if the pain will disappear like it did during my first W30...I hope is does since I have a few trips before my surgery and I would like to be able to get around without taking pain meds or hobbling!  RA sucks....  :angry:

Anywho....life goes on!  I had yummy leftovers for breakfast and lunch!  Something to be said about preparing ahead of time!

Breakfast:

Red Leaf Lettuce Salad

Leftover GF Ribeye

Small Avocado

Grilled Asparagus

Balsamic Vinegar

Radishes

Lunch:

2 GF Beef Patties

Roasted Carrots

Grilled Asparagus

Sauteed Mushrooms

There was enough EVOO, Beef Fat, and fat from the hamburgers that I definitely didn't need anymore fat!  I did bring red cherries with but am too full to eat them!  They will have to be a part of dinner though so that yummy, juicy goodness doesn't go to waste!  :D

Tasty eats! I hear you on the maxi dresses. I'm 5'4" and I think any dress (unless it's a poofy skirt like my wedding dress) that hits below my knee looks silly on my and makes me feel even shorter. 

Hope your knee starts feeling better soon. Being in pain definitely is no fun. 

+1 for maxi dresses.  I think they look so gorgeous on other people but last time I tried one on my husband started giggling the minute I opened the curtain in the fitting room :/  I'm 5'2".

Hope that pain starts subsiding soon.  I'm keen to see how you navigate AIP as that might be something for me to try in the future.  Since I discovered canned fish, I've been eating far fewer eggs than when I started.

Physibeth and Percypat, I am 5' (slight round-up  ;) ) and if I hold up pants, dresses, or skirts and the bottom is laying on the floor, I laugh then put it right back on the hanger...I keep hoping they are getting shorter or that my legs are getting longer!  :lol:  Luckily, my husband doesn't get mad when I go shopping and stock up on pants/dresses/skirts when I find the right length.  I found pants at Target so I bough 8 pairs!  LOL!

The knee pain is not as bad today but only after I walk around a little bit more and walk a certain way.  Last night I took my pain meds even though I knew they would make me stay awake but they helped a little...I'd rather deal with a little less sleep than the pain.  I have my sugergy on Aug. 2nd but there are a few weekend trips before then so I really hope this is just a temporary pain.  I wouldn't wish RA on anyone...  :(

I was feeling well enough to cook dinner so I guess that's a good thing!  ^_^   I decided to get the coconut flour and raw coconut flakes out to make a "breading" on mahi mahi pieces from Trader Joe's.  Fried in coconut oil...they weren't too bad.  I'll have to try it with shrimp!  I do need to figure out a way to get more ot the flakes to stick though.  Maybe I'll wait to make it until I add eggs back in.  Mmmmm...cocounut shrimp!  I also roasted brussel sprouts and with the leaves that fell off when cutting them in half, I sauteed those with some EVOO to make another side dish.

Dinner:

Cocunut Mahi Mahi

Sauteed Kale and Onion

Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Sauteed Leaves

Bing Cherries

Day 3 - Treatment Day

Today is an Orencia day!  I can't believe I am on my 22nd one!  Luckily, it has been working so I'll stick with it!  Of course, they have to get my weight so I had to step on the scale...190.  I was glad to see no weight change since last month.

I decided to eat leftover fish and veggies for breakfast before I left for the doctor's office which put me at eating within an hour of waking up.  Not sure I like that.  I got full really fast but knew I needed to eat a little bit more because I wouldn't be eating again for about 5-6 hours.  I typically eat breakfast around 8:30 then lunch around 12:30 then dinner around 7:00.  For some reason, I don't get really hungry in the afternon and can go for longer periods of time...not so with the morning!  <_<

Breakfast:

3 small pieces Cocunut Mahi Mahi

1/2 c Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Sauteed Kale and Brussel Sprout Leaves

Lunch will come earlier today!

Lunch:

2 GF Hamburger Patties

Grilled Asparagus

Roasted Carrots

Small pack of Wholly Guacamole

Cherries

I went outside during lunch to move my closer to the building (from way out in BFE!) and it was freakin' hot out there!  Today, I am thankful for air conditioning!!  :D

Good luck with your AIP!!!... I am going to try for a strict, whole-hog 10 day AIP starting tomorrow.... and when I went to my spice drawers, I had to move more than half of them out of circulation....oh, dear!  Thank goodness garlic and ginger are still allowed.  I guess I will have to 'think European' in the kitchen for 10 days.

PS: At 5'2", I hear you on the maxi dresses..and on dragging on the floor and buying multiple pairs!

Kew, good luck with your AIP too!  I am hoping to see a difference...as long as I can add back in ghee and eggs without issues!  ;)

Even though my knee was bothering me, I still managed to cook up lots of greens...sauteed Swiss Chard with bacon, garlic and bacon fat then sauteed rappini using the same ingredients.  My creativity was a little limited but they both tasted really good but what doesn't taste better with bacon??  In the process of cooking the bacon, I managed to eat several pieces (they were super-thin sliced though!  ^_^ ).  I always seem to forget that I have a bacon dragon!  LOL  By the time I got finished cooking, I was not that hungry.  I also realized I had very few protein options since most of my concentration the last two nights has been on veggies.  Oops!

Dinner:

Coconut Mahi Mahi (3 small pieces)

Bacon

Sauteed Rappini

Roasted Brussel Sprouts and sauteed Leaves

I spent the rest of my night off the leg and watching Master Chef...I just love that show!  Gordon Ramsay my be an a-hole in the kitchen but I think he is H-O-T!  :wub:

Day 4 - Where's the Beef??

So...lots of veggie choices for breakfast and lunch today but where's the protein??  I managed to find some prosciutto and roast beef for breakfast but nothing for lunch.  I can't bring in sardines anymore since I found they can really stink a place up!  :huh:   I decided today would be lunch out!  I have a hankering for some Thai so some Red Curry or sashimi and a salad it is!   :D

My right knee feels a little better but now my left middle finger hurts.  I love showing people which finger it is that hurts!  :lol:  I have been a bad girl and haven't been taking my meds since I was feeling so great and because I tend to forget to take them so I am back to taking them.  If I want to feel good on my upcoming trips, I guess I should do everything I can.  Stupid RA.

My goal for today is to not fall asleep at my desk!  In the last month, I've had issues with this since I just sit in my cubicle waiting for calls and emails.  There is not music being piped in so all I hear is the humming of the AC and a few voices every now and then.  I get bored...  I have my earphones with me today so I am going to turn on the music and hopefully, it won't put me to sleep!  I had this problem during my first Whole30 too no matter how much sleep I got the night before.  I think it's just out of total boredom! 

Lunch (Blue Elephant):

Salmon Roe Sashimi (yum!!)

Red Curry with 3 Shrimp, Broccoli, Carrots, Bamboo Shoots

I'm glad I ordered the Salmon Roe for a little more protein than what I had in my curry!  I was not expecting to see just 3 shrimp in that dish!  :o   The curry was okay...the salmon roe was the winner of the meal and their presentation was awesome!

Over the last couple of months, I have been getting these tiny little bumps on the back of my hands.  Sometimes they itch a little or get dried out if I don't put lotion on orr they just go away.  I had them yesterday on both hands and now they are gone.  I was thinking maybe it was the coconut oil I used to cook my veggies but nothing happened this morning after eating the same veggies or after eating the curry with coconut milk.  Very strange!  Awhile ago, I thought it was avocado causing it but I eliminated it for 5 days and when I added them back in, I didn't have any issues.  I don't think I can afford to cut anything else out of my diet!  :mellow:

Want to post this yummy dinner before I forgot! Details to come....

Damn! I am good! Ha! After wandering around Whole Foods, not for long though since there's nothing I can really eat there :P , I picked up some grass-fed eye of round, ground beef, and a pork loin chop. I also picked up some kombucha with chia seeds. I am not one of you brave souls that is at the point of making my own...heck! I haven't even finished one bottle! I'll try that over the weekend since it got a little mixed up.

Dinner:

Grass-fed Eye of Round

Grilled Portabella Mushrooms

Sautéed Swiss Chard and Rappini with Garlic and Bacon

Sautéed Artichoke Hearts

Variety Olives

I also grilled another steak and the pork for tomorrow and cooked the ground beef with onion and garlic to have on hand for meals through the weekend. All in under an hour! With all the cooking I am doing, I am getting a lot faster in my cooking! Unfortunately, my hand is paying the price right now...medic!!!

post-20172-0-13042600-1371165156_thumb.j

Day 5 - Working from home would be a good thing....

...if RA didn't suck!  Woke up to my left hand hurting like an MF'er!  There was no way I would be able to get ready for work...I couldn't even pull the comforter up to make the bed.  :(   I messaged my manager about working from home since I don't want to use sick time because of my upcoming surgery and, luckily, she was fine with that.  My hand is getting a little better but I feel twinges of a flare-up coming up in my right hand.  Stupid RA!

Ok...enough of that!  I guess I keep hoping for a miracle and that changing my diet will cure all of this but I have to be honest with myself...This way of eating may help reduce the symptoms but they will never really go away.  The meds will stil need to be in the picture...for now.  :(

On the bright side, it's a gorgeous day outside!   Maybe I'll eat my lunch on the patio.  At least my breakfast and lunch were ready for today so I don't have any prep work to do!  Well, except for avocado....mmmmmm.....

Breakfast:

Leftover Steak and a few slices of Pork

Portabella Mushrooms

Sauteed Kale and Swiss Chard

Strawberries

I'm so sorry for all of your pain. I've had RA in remission for over a decade. They think I don't have it anymore. I went with a stricter W30 because of that. I eliminated all nightshades, beef ,eggs and oranges on may 1st. On the 15th i started AIP and let go of coffee, ghee and nuts. Coconut meat went too because of bloat. While I'm on Day 45 of this Whole Whatever, I started reintroducing some foods this week that are on the template. Beef made me sick but hoping it was a fluke the 1 time I tried it. Day 40 I added egg yolk and so far so good. I'm afraid of nightshades because I get that familiar RA ache in my hands from white potatoes and wonder if tomatoes and peppers do it too. That would be the saddest as peppers are my number 1 fav snack food.

I could so relate when you said you couldn't pull the comforter. I could cry for you. I remember not being able to hold a pen at work. It was awful. I hope that AIP helps you. I could really feel a difference in my inflammation while on it. I am sticking close to it.

I'm happy to commiserate anytime you need it.

Archived