First whole30 done and I am enthusiast!

whitershade

Actually I am at the end of day 29, but from tomorrow till Saturday I'll be busy with my M.A. exams, so I suppose I won't have time to check here, and I am way too excited to wait till Saturday to share my amazing results!

First of all, let's talk about the most important ones:

HEARTBURN and GERD GONE SINCE THE FIRST DAY- this has been my first month without heartburn and GERD medications in 7 years, could you believe that? I was totally resigned at the idea that I would have been taking medications and anti acids for the rest of my life, instead now I actually feel great without them (and I have had coffee, tea, fat, fried food, broth, nuts, very hot curry, and all a bunch of things that the Doctor told me could exacerbate my acid reflux - nothing happened!).

SINUSITIS GONE - after the second week I noticed that I could breath with my nose again...before this month I had the same results just after one month of antibiotics, antihistaminics, and steroids. Amazing!

SKIN CLEARED - I've been in treatment with Aisoskin for some months to cure my cystic acne, but I still had my skin spotted with red signs. I noticed these very last days that my skin is gradually clearing (and my hair look gorgeous!)

TIGER BLOOD - It took me a while more to feel like this (I've actually been feeling like this just since two days ago) but eventually I get it! I feel super energetic and the lethargy of the first weeks has completely gone!

Now let's talk about fitness results:

before whole30 my time for a 5K was 32:05. Yesterday I've run my faster 5K ever: 30:56!

More over, I improved my push ups from 17 in 30 seconds to 20 in 30 seconds, but I consider my running result one of the most satisfying goals achieved this whole 2013!:-)

And finally, I know you are curious about the numbers: I was 121 lbs (5'2 female, 30 years old), now I am 113 lbs, so 8 lbs lost! You can see how amazing is this result, since I was not overweight at all before! I have to say that I workout a lot, I did a lot of strength training and HIIT training, but less long cardio session than usual (max 45-50 minutes, whereas last winter I pushed to 2 hours cardio!) and that I've been a little rigid with my carbs intake, though. This last thing was a mistake, in fact...well, let's go to the BAD stuff (very short list):

I had some strange craving for fruits and nuts, ended in two or three occasion when I ate an amount a little bit bigger than normal of fruit and nuts. That is, I guess, the consequence of a lack of carbohydrates in proportion to my activity level. These episodes happened in week 3, but during week 4 I adjusted my carbs intake and I also did some pre/post workout meals sometimes, and I functioned way better.

My breath was not so "nice", especially the first week, even if I brushed my teeth continuously. But I suppose this aspect as well is connected to the carbs intake.

My social life, without a glass of good wine (hey, I'm italian...;-)) has been a little bit sadder than usual, but less than expected!

Post-whole30 resolutions

My overall eating behavior, except for my binge/problematic episodes (very rare since 2010) has always been quite clean. I've always eaten a lot of vegetables, good proteins, farmer's eggs (from hen I personally know:-)), good extra virgin olive oil, and very little dairy, always whole and local. The only canned stuff I buy is tuna, tomatoes (when I finish my homemade canned tomatoes), and some oil canned vegetables, like aubergines and sun dried tomatoes.

Anyway, I'm considering a very slow reintroduction, where I'll gradually try Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese, the only dairy I really miss, and maybe legumes, assuming that my body will respond well. I think that I need to test my gluten tolerance, and that if the test is negative I could feel free to have some pizza or pasta when I go out with my friends. I want to underline that pizza, here in the south of Italy, doesn't have nothing to do with what the rest of the world calls pizza (when I say pizza, I mean super fresh buffalo mozzarella, fresh cherry tomatoes, basil and natural leavened dough, cooked in a wood-fired oven..that's it!).

Anyway, I know that I will follow the template for my homemade meals, since I feel so good, and that I can always repeat the whole 30 whenever I need a deep cleaning session!

So, that's it!I'm sorry if I wrote so much, but I really wanted to share my happiness about this great experience!

Thank you!

Archived