How to avoid offending family?

cupkayke

So, on Friday, I'm going to visit my best friend for a few days. I'm not worried about staying compliant at her place; we're in our late 30's and generally cook for ourselves; she's down to eat what I do because she's amazingly supportive.

The problem is her parents. Not that they are a problem, but we will certainly be visiting them at some point and having dinner over there. Her mom and dad are like my second set of parents- they pretty much took me in when I was a teenager, and hosted my wedding a couple of months ago. Her mother LOVES to cook, and is an excellent one. But, I'm worried that what she makes might not be compliant, and I don't want to show up with food as that feels pretty disrespectful. 

Should I let her know ahead of time that I'm on a fairly restrictive diet plan? Should I offer to make dinner for them instead? They've done some "kooky" diets in the past- macrobiotic, etc. so I don't know if they'll be too weirded out, but I don't really feel comfortable asking her to make a meal according to my specifications.

Thanks!

I would let them know a head of time and maybe send them a link to the plan to give them some idea what you are doing. Maybe send her some links to recipes that you think she might have fun cookings, I know as a cook i love to cook for other people and love to try new recipes.  I agree with GFchris about letting them know that there you are on a elimination diet and there are things you CAN NOT EAT. have fun!

Archived