Physibeth's First Whole30 Log (finally!)

Physibeth

Well the day is finally here! I've been eating a primarily Paleo diet since I jumped on a 30 day meal plan from Practical Paleo on March 12th but this is going to be my first Whole30. I'm excited! :-)

The big changes from my first 30 day challenge will be no grass-fed butter, no natural sugars (which I did very little of during that 30 days), no food logging (I stopped sometime before June 1st), no scale (I weighed myself and hid it on June 1st), and no paleo-fying (which I've done very little of anyway). Between that 30 days and this I've definitely rode my own bike a bit and I rode it a lot this past weekend.

Since going Paleo I've lost 12.4 lbs and a lot of inches (I do have a quantifiable number just not with me). I've also slept better, experienced better digestion and less heart burn, my allergies are not as bad, my mood is much more even, my brain isn't foggy in the afternoons, I recover from exercise quicker, and I easily make it between meals without getting hangry.

My reason for doing a Whole30:

- Reign everything back in so I can do very careful re-introductions and have a better idea of how offroading will possibly effect me.

- Improve my sleep further aiming to get 8-9 hours a night preferably with little to no waking.

- Improve my digestion more.

- Break the need to weigh myself every day and log all my food and focus more on other aspects of health.

The plan is to do my 30 days (ending July 9th) take a couple days off while my brother is visiting and then finish out the month of July Whole30 compliant (so a Whole 19 or 20) and then do very careful re-introductions. I don't plan to weigh/measure myself until August 1st.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1

Sleep: Took me an hour and 21 minutes to fall asleep last night and I woke 3x. I turned the alarm off and went back to sleep because after 3 days of less than 7 hours of sleep I didn't think I could function with another one. Glad my job is flexible. Ended up with 8 hours and 10 minutes of sleep. 4:09 in REM and 0:58 in Deep.

Meal 1: (8:15am) 4 pastured eggs scrambled into kale sauteed in ghee, 2 strips bacon, raw fermented carrots with ginger, 12 oz, black coffee.

Exercise: 3 mile easy pace run 

Meal 2: (1pm) Salad with lamb chunks that were sauteed in coconut oil and avo-ziki sauce (recipes from Practical Paleo)

Afternoon Sips:  8 oz cup of black coffee, kombucha, water

Meal 3: (probably between 5 and 6) Thanksgiving stuffing meatballs (4) with mashed faux-tatos (made with coconut ghee) and a pear. (recipes from Practical Paleo)

My eating was really off plan over the weekend and I'm feeling it today. Even though I went back to sleep I still feel a bit groggy and a little bloated today. Not terrible but not what I'm used to feeling like. I'm sure it doesn't help that the air conditioning my office isn't working right now either. My run felt a little forced today as well. Goal when I get home from work is to get my basic daily chores done (including the disaster relief needed in my kitchen), food all prepped for tomorrow, and maybe some much needed weeding if there is still time, in bed by 9:30 with lights out by 10. 

Yes, welcome :)  I totally thought you were an old salty dog at this!  Looking forward to following your progress through your log.  I picked up Practical Paleo (and Well Fed) before I started my W30 and I really love the recipes and the information is so valuable!  Sounds like you have a pretty good base to start on this program :)

Day 2:

Sleep: Fell asleep quickly last night although a bit passed my desired lights out time. I was a bit skittish about falling asleep so I read until I started dropping the kindle on my face around 10:30.  :P Slept 7:24 with 3:13 of REM and 0:59 of Deep. Woke up 3 times for a total of about 14 minutes. I seem to wake around 4:30 am almost every morning. I'm not sure if this is because the neighborhood rooster starts crowing at this time and the birds all wake up at this time or if it is something else and all that noise just helps keep me awake.

6:20 am Meal 1: 4 pastured eggs scrambled into kale sauteed in ghee, 2 strips bacon, raw fermented carrots with ginger, 12 oz black coffee.

8:30 am Exercise: Hour BodyPump class (mix of releases 85 and 76) followed by a 2 mile easy run on the dreadmill.

11 am: 8 oz cup of coffee

12:15 pm Meal 2: Taco Salad (Lettuce, taco seasoned ground beef, whole avocado), Apple

Meal 3: (probably between 5 & 6) Zucchini noodles with cilantro pesto and steamed shrimp (recipe from practical paleo)

Will probably have my kombucha between Meal 2 and 3 along with lots of water.

Got home much later than I wanted last night so I got my food prep for today done but my kitchen is still a disaster zone and my weeds are still happily taking over my yard. :P Hoping to at least get the kitchen cleaned up tonight. Feeling much better today after a much better nights sleep and my nice clean food day yesterday. Tomorrow is produce delivery day so if I have some extra time tonight I'm going to attempt to transform the remaining produce I already have into readily packable in lunchbox forms so I can polish it off. I really want to try and use up all my produce each week before the next weeks produce arrives. Goal again tonight is in bed by 9:30 with lights out by 10.  

So I wore shorts and a t-shirt today because the AC has been busted in the office since Friday afternoon. They fixed it this afternoon. Now I'm freezing. First world problems. Wish the vent wasn't blowing on my arms.

No but this is in my office building not my house. The ceiling to floor windows don't open so it gets/stays warm in here especially when the sun comes out. It was 78 according to the thermostat when I came in this morning. The AC comes on when it gets to 75. 

We did have the AC in our office go out one of those rare 100 degree weeks a couple of years ago. I thought I was going to die. 

Had my meal 3 at about 5:30. Not really that satisfying. Last time I had this I couldn't finish it I was so full. I wonder if I didn't add enough pesto. I put two big spoonfuls in. I used 2 medium zucchini for my noodles and 12 reasonably sized shrimp. If I still feel a little pekish when I get home I might have a grass-fed beef hot dog and some bubbies.

Yes that happened in our office too. I went home and worked. Actually, I think we lost power so we all went home and worked remotely...and watched Dr. Phil. :0)

I think your dinner sounds fabulous. I'm so into zoodles right now. In fact, I have a pot of homemade marinara with mushrooms and 2 lbs of ground beef bubbling on the stove. Zoodles are ready to go in.

Maybe I need to prep mine differently. This recipe had me steam them for 3-5 minutes and then to steam the shrimp until they were pink. Shrimp is a new food for me and I'm still not convinced I like it but I don't hate it either.

The spiral veggie slicer is very cool though. I had trouble getting the suction cups to stick to my counter. 

Mmm, I love zoodles too (though I don't think they love me).  And shrimp.  If you didn't find the recipe very satisfying, perhaps a bit of tweaking?  All the components sound delicious!

I wasn't totally convinced on sardines when I started eating them but I kept eating them and now I love them.  I think my brain screamed "omega 3!" at my tastebuds until they relented.

You know Beth, I would do it differently. I zoodle them. Then put them in a strainer (a bowl is fine too), salt them and let them sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse, drain and wrap them in a towel and squeeze the dickens out of them by twisting. All they need then is to be heated. I also always roast my shrimp. Oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 for 3-4 minutes per side. Then I would put ghee in a pan and heat the zoodles, add the pesto and shrimp and Bob's your uncle. :0)

I'm delighted to read your first log! You're so full of wonderful energy and helpful tips. I've been working on my sleep too. Before May 1st I was taking 1/4 of an Ambien almost nightly to help me fall asleep. I used to read my iPad in bed. Now I read on my kindle with the screen turned to sepia so it's not so bright. I'm thrilled at how quickly I fall asleep most nights now. Of ourselves the new gym classes are kicking my tush from here to Cleveland. Ambien is becoming a thing of my past. I think that's my best W30 success thus far.

Susan I'm going to try your method next time and see how it goes. I got more cilantro in my box today so I will be making more pesto soon. I also tried another spaghetti squash today. Put it in when I was getting breakfast and took it out when I got back from my run (not sure how long it was on warm). I even flipped it this time. The sides that had been down kind of collapsed and while I got my "spaghetti" this time I still had a lot of "squash" I picked what I could. I wonder if what is left in the store now is just too far past seasonable or if I am still leaving it too long or if I am not letting it cool enough? I had such wonderful success the first time that I did it I'm a touch sad that I can't seem to repeat. Makes me nervous about making more mayo.

Calee Thanks for your kind words! I have a kindle touch so I can read without the brightness. It's keeping my hands off my phone (especially when I want to check my sleep app) that I need to learn. I've never taken anything to help me sleep though I dealt with wicked insomnia up through maybe my junior year of college. But I have always had trouble sleeping through the night. I have noticed much better sleep with my diet changes over the months for sure!

I just made 6 zuc worth of zoodles. The funny pole and disc left makes me laugh every time.

Spag..that almost does seem a fault of the squash. I havent done one in a while but I was going to in the next couple of days. Mine never actually caves where it touches but kind of browns and dents a little.

Day 2 Wrap Up:

So when I got home last night around 7pm I was still hungry so I ate 2 grass fed beef hot dogs and 2 bubbies pickles (which were not as crunchy as I remember my last batch being) once I got the jar open spilling much juice on myself and my counter top.  :P  :rolleyes:

I was feeling really tired so I made the decision to watch some Angel on Netflix though I probably should have put myself straight to bed. Did turn the tv off at 9pm and was in bed with my book by 9:20 and lights out around 10.

Day 3:

Sleep: Total 8:28 with 3:39 in REM and 1:10 in deep. Fell asleep quickly but was light sleep and woke about 20 minutes later because I heard something that startled me. Did I walk around the house to settle my overactive imagination and resettled. Woke for a brief moment again around midnight and then slept until just after 5 and didn't wake again until my alarm went off. I did hit snooze button 3 times this morning and still felt tired getting up. I think I could have easily slept all day today if left to my own devices.

7am Meal 1: 4 pastured eggs scrambled into kale sauteed in ghee, 3 strips bacon, raw fermented carrots with ginger, 12 oz black coffee.

10am Exercise: 6 mi Speedwork run that went much better than I expected considering how tired and sore I was this morning. 

1pm Meal 2: Salad with lamb chunks that were sauteed in coconut oil and avo-ziki sauce (recipes from Practical Paleo) forgot the avo-ziki sauce so I just dressed the salad with some homemade vinaigrette (all compliant ingredients) that I keep at work, Strawberries

2pm: grande iced americano from Starbucks

3:30pm: kombucha (still sipping this)

Meal 3 (probably around 5:30): Spaghetti squash with cilantro pesto and 2 Italian chicken sausages, pluot.

I'm pretty sore today and was very tired with a headache this morning. I actually feel less tired on this side of my run. Some of this might be from my allergies. I have community group tonight and have to make myself leave a little early tonight. I have a bad habit of hanging around and chatting until I'm the last one which usually puts me home way past my bedtime. I got a flat of strawberries with my produce order this morning though and I really must get them processed tonight. Of course my kitchen is still a disaster. *sigh* As I was putting my produce away this morning I had the witch's song from "Into the Woods" going through my head. "Greens, greens, nothing but greens!" So much loveliness! Really hoping that I get some energy back soon so I can get back on top of things. Took my husband's car for an oil change this afternoon and sat in the sun outside Starbucks while I waited for it. Trying to even out the capri tan I have on my legs from only getting sun when I run.  :rolleyes:  Finally got caught up on some goal planning. Maybe having neat little check boxes to check off will help me stay motivated.

I just made 6 zuc worth of zoodles. The funny pole and disc left makes me laugh every time. Spag..that almost does seem a fault of the squash. I havent done one in a while but I was going to in the next couple of days. Mine never actually caves where it touches but kind of browns and dents a little.

This squash had a big brown spot on one side before I cooked it. It was the last one at the store though. Maybe I just have to give up until they are in season again.

What spiral slicer do you have?  I have been wanting to get something to make zoodles but have been hesitant to buy anything for fear that it will suck.  :o   I bought a julienne peeler and it's not the best tool for what I was expecting.

Sounds like you're doing great so far!  I would love to be able to get 8 hours of sleep!  I have been averaging about 7 hours...and that's on a good night!  :unsure:

What spiral slicer do you have?  I have been wanting to get something to make zoodles but have been hesitant to buy anything for fear that it will suck.  :o   I bought a julienne peeler and it's not the best tool for what I was expecting.

Sounds like you're doing great so far!  I would love to be able to get 8 hours of sleep!  I have been averaging about 7 hours...and that's on a good night!  :unsure:

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371138389&sr=8-1&keywords=spiral+vegetable+slicer

I've only used it once so far but definitely prefer it to using a vegetable peeler. 

It does help that I have very flexable work hours in the getting 8 hours of sleep department. It also helps that I haven't had any energy to do anything except go to bed when I get home the last couple of days.  :P Of course my kitchen feels neglected and I was having trouble finding places to put things on counters this morning. I do believe I need to attend to some chores before I go run this morning which means I should probably get off the dang computer.  ;)

I may have to use some Amazon points for a Zoodler!  Thanks for feeding my shopping addiction!  :D

Update:  Back to report that I ordered the slicer AND Practical Paleo....it was free shipping and I had points on my rewards card so they didn't cost me anything!  Had to buy them, right????  :lol:

Archived