Physibeth's First Whole30 Log (finally!)

Physibeth

Oh eeps. I dont know for sure but I make sure I use my stock in 3-5 days like the meats (bones) they are made from. Since all bits of meat are strained out, maybe that isnt right and they last much longer. Off to google. :)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 6 Wrap Up: Ended up having 3 chicken thighs (2 were very small) for dinner with baby carrots and celery sticks dipped in mayo with some garlic salt mixed into it. Was tasty. I went through the 2nd flat of strawberries taking the tops off and washing and left in a colander to dry so my friend and I picked at them most of the night. Ended up with 1 1/2 quart sized freezer bags of strawberries when I finally packed them up. I might see if I can get another flat. I wanted more in my freezer than that. Friend left at 10 pm and I went promptly up to bed.

Day 7:

Sleep: As I don't need to be anywhere today until 12:30 pm I turned my alarm off to let myself wake up naturally. Fell asleep in about 2 minutes and woke up 4x falling back asleep pretty quickly each time. Slept 8:14 (3:13 REM, :54 Deep). I probably could have fallen asleep again and slept another hour this morning but my cat was licking my face so I got up.  :rolleyes: 

7:30 am Meal 1: 4 pastured eggs scrambled into 2 cups kale sauteed in ghee, 3 small strips of bacon, raw sauerkraut, black coffee

Planned for the rest of the day:

Meal 2: Probably around 2 or 2:30 so will probably need some sort of mini meal in there. Might just drink some booch. Salmon cakes with mayo probably lettuce wrapped. Pickles, carrots, celery.

Meal 3: Probably around 6:30 or 7: Grass fed rib eye steak (need to defrost), sweet potato fries, salad w/ homemade dressing or veggies with mayo.

The sun is shining this morning so I think if I can extract myself from the computer I might put on some grubby clothes and go out and attack the weed forest. I think I could make a somewhat sizeable dent in an hour. My poor plants are getting choked out. Have church at 12:30 and am volunteering in kids ministry at the 4pm service. Really need to fill in my meal plan and do some cooking tonight before bed. We are starting a women's bible study tomorrow night so I won't have time to do any prep work when I get home as I need to go promptly to bed so I can get up for my 8:30 pump class on Tuesday. Just keep needing to remind myself that taking care of this stuff on the evenings I have time, even if I'm tired, ultimately makes me less stressed out which means I sleep better when I do go to bed.  

Oh eeps. I dont know for sure but I make sure I use my stock in 3-5 days like the meats (bones) they are made from. Since all bits of meat are strained out, maybe that isnt right and they last much longer. Off to google. :)

I usually smell it before I use it. I am using the canning lids which do provide a little bit of seal if you put the stock in when it is still warmer and then transfer to the fridge. Let me know what you find out. 

Well Dr Google had interesting things to say. If they were jarred and not gotten into, some people say they are essentially sterile canned and fine. Others said not worth the risk and others said boil it for ten minutes to kill any pathogens but then a scientist piped up and said some pathogens let off heat resistant toxins like staph. Most said too many variables to come up with an absolute answer. So..no answer. :o

Well I'll just continue on with my smell it stance then. I'm not much of a germaphobe and probably will eat leftovers many would not. I am very careful to smell things first though and if something tastes funky on first bite I'm ok with ditching the rest.

Lol, it builds up your immunities! We have a joke in our family that my mom, bro, and I will be standing with the cockroaches after an apocolypse cause we have guts of steel. Well, I did until I started W30.

I do a whiff test and can absolutely tell if it's gone over or not!

LOL Lizzard!

Operation reduce weed forest was a success this morning. Got quite a bit done in an hour. Filled the yard waste bin in fact. My roses are looking good out there despite doing nothing to help them along and my spearmint is taking over the back of the house and infringing on my astilbes. Maybe we planted those too close together. Going to try and get some mulch and old newspapers this week and finishing cleaning up where I've weeded already and put newspaper down as weed block and mulch over. Then I'll move on to the next weed forest. Hopefully if I mulch as I go I won't spend my entire summer pulling up weeds. Seriously some of these were as tall as me. Luckily they are really easy to pull up.

Ok off to churck. Later yo!

That recipe does look really good!  I'll have to try it after this weekend....

Have you cooked the garlic scapes yet?  I went to the farmer's market this weekend and someone was selling them so I bought a bunch without knowing how I was going to cook them.  ^_^   I figured, "If Physibeth has them, then I should get them too!"  :D   From what I saw on the net, grilling them seems to be the way to go.  Should be a good side for my steak!

And I agree with you about the comic book movies...way better than reading the books...although I do like looking at the pictures!  ;)

Good luck with your mini marathon!  Wish I could run but because of the RA, I can barely walk a mile.  :(

That recipe does look really good!  I'll have to try it after this weekend....

Have you cooked the garlic scapes yet?  I went to the farmer's market this weekend and someone was selling them so I bought a bunch without knowing how I was going to cook them.  ^_^   I figured, "If Physibeth has them, then I should get them too!"  :D   From what I saw on the net, grilling them seems to be the way to go.  Should be a good side for my steak!

And I agree with you about the comic book movies...way better than reading the books...although I do like looking at the pictures!  ;)

Good luck with your mini marathon!  Wish I could run but because of the RA, I can barely walk a mile.  :(

So the funny thing is that after posting that thread I got neither garlic scapes or artichokes in my box this past week. I got different stuff. Not sure what happened but they changed the menu sometime after I looked at it. :-) Looking at this weeks menu garlic scapes are on there again. We shall see if that has follow through this time. :-)

I hope you find enough relief from RA to run some day. I used to detest it but now I really enjoy it. It is my me time and I think about so many interesting things when I'm running. 

Day 7 Wrap Up: Day went pretty much as planned. Ate 2 servings of sweet potatoes with my steak instead of 1 serving and a salad because I didn't feel like making a dressing.  :rolleyes: Didn't get any more food prep done because I called my parents after dinner but dad was already asleep but mom talked with me for over an hour. By the time I got off the phone I really just wanted to go to bed so I did. 

Day 8:

Sleep: I started falling asleep on my book and then realized I still had to do cat wrangling which made me kind of awake again. After laying awake for a while I decided to read some more and when I finally started nodding again fell right asleep and pretty much slept through the night. My zeo has no wakes recorded except for this morning. I remember waking a couple of times but I fell right back asleep so not recorded. Snoozed the alarm once and then turned it off getting up a little after 7. Total of 7:32 with 3:08 REM and 1:10 deep.

7:30amish Meal 1: 4 pastured eggs scrambled in kale sauteed in ghee, bacon, sauerkraut, black coffee. (can you tell I like this breakfast?)

9:30amish: 3 mile easy run

12pm Meal 2: Lamb steak w/ olive tapenade, spinach sauteed in ghee with garlic salt, radishes tossed in bacon fat, onion powder, and garlic salt and roasted.

planned for rest of day

Sips: Kombucha, water, mineral water

Meal 3: Thanksgiving stuffing meatballs, salad, mashed faux-tatoes

So much time outside this weekend and my allergies are on overdrive today. Sneezing up a storm. Mostly feel fine but I have a very mild sinus headache. It doesn't help that I came into work to find the AC still not working and the thermostat says it is 80 in here. Quite possibly warmer in my office. Glad husband decided we should have a movie date tonight so I'm wearing my cute little sundress that I posted about in Nadia's thread. I wore a sweater to make it more work appropriate but it is way too warm in here to wear the sweater. It's probably cooler outside...if only I had my laptop with me.  :lol:  Because I didn't get food prepped last night I was whirling around the kitchen again this morning.  :rolleyes: I have 2 goals for this week: 1st to ensure my kitchen is at least as clean as it was when I woke up when I go to bed. 2nd: Eat 2 different veggies at each meal. We'll see how those go. I really want a cup of coffee right now but it is way too warm. I need to set up my cold brew tonight so I have some iced coffee for the office.

I forgot to add to my day 7 wrap up that I did end up eating a compliant larabar somewhere in the middle of the sermon. I was feeling hungry and needed to continue to focus on the service and I knew it was going to be at least another hour before I could eat. Not my favorite thing to do but it is what happened.

Day 8 Wrap Up: Ate dinner pretty around 5pm as I was getting really hungry by then. Had a lovely date night going to see Star Trek with the hubster. Was up later than usually and ate 2 slices of bacon and 3 or 4 figs before bed. 

Day 9:

Sleep: Got to bed late but fell asleep quickly and only woke up twice. Once when my husband came to bed at like 2 am and once just after 5 am. Slept 6:46 with 2:39 REM and 1:10 Deep

6:30 am Meal 1: Half an acorn squash with cinnamon, coconut butter, and raisins, 3 fried eggs, raw sauerkraut, black coffee

8:30 am: Hour long BodyPump class followed by a 3 mile easy pace run on the dreadmill

12 pm Meal 2: 4 grass fed beef hot dogs w/ homemade mayo, pickles, baby carrots, nectarine

plan for rest of the day

Sips: water, kombucha, mineral water

Meal 3: Tuna salad, avocado, salad, roasted radishes, pluot

Actually feeling quite good today despite less than ideal amount of sleep. AC in the office is still not working so glad it is partly cloudy (so far) today. Going to get a massage tonight and then will have to fight the urge to watch the top 20 reveal show of So You Think You Can Dance tonight. I'm debating it as I can technically sleep in tomorrow as I have to wait for my produce delivery. I guess I'll see how I feel when I get home. I need to make Well Fed's Rogan Josh tonight or tomorrow morning as well and I want to roast my beets and the rest of my sweet potatoes. Saw signs at the gym today that they are going to do water tank body composition testing in July so I signed up. I've been using 3 different calculators based on tape measurements to get an idea of my body fat and they vary widely. Will be nice to get a more accurate number. The test is actually a few days before my official Whole30 is over, but I've not weighed/measured since June 1st so I think it will be ok. They do this at my gym once every couple of months so I wanted to jump on the chance now.

It drives me nuts when my hubinator comes to bed late like that.  I have a hard enough time sleeping without him getting a running leap from across the room into the middle of the bed, landing all elbows and kneebones, squarely on my side, sending both kitties jumping and skittering off to all corners of the room.  At least that's what it feel like!

That squash with coconut butter sounds delish, I may have one with ghee in the AM!

That's pretty cool that your gym offers the water tank body comp!  I only belong to the Y and they would never have anything like that, they just gave me some weird Star Trekky looking thing to hold onto for a minute then declared I was obese.  Thanks guys, I know I am carrying more than my fair share but I am in no way obese.  I would like to know the real deal!

Let me know how the Rogan Josh comes out, I am a bit spoiled with Indian food as my hubs family is from there and I have learned first hand how to cook it, and do.  But this looked so easy and the ingredients are approved so I wouldn't have to do much thinking. 

Have fun with your produce box tomorrow, hope you get some goodies!

I'm pretty used to him coming to bed late now. Husband definitely prefers to be awake at night and worked graveyard shifts for a good chunk of the time we dated. I don't always wake up when he comes to bed either. He used to want to watch tv in bed until he fell asleep and I finally convinced him that it just wasn't working for me. So I pick this over that I guess. We also have a tempurpedic mattress so his movement isn't really felt by me and vice versa.

The squash is my 2nd favorite breakfast. So easy!

I decided to postpone the Rogan Josh until my cookup on Saturday night as it takes a couple of hours and the meat was still fairly frozen this morning. Please somebody chastise me if I do not do my cookup on Saturday night. I have nothing but my half marathon in the morning planned for Saturday. Might come home and take a nap but then I need to do some cooking and some serious scrapbooking (need to finish 2 digital books for my mom before her product credits expire at the end of the month). 

Day 9 Wrap Up: Got home from my massage at 9:30 pm. Had to deal with nasty traffic on the way there and on the way home. Grrr! I usually don't go on a day that I do BodyPump either so I was feeling especially sore. Heated up 2 meatballs and ate them with the remainder of my mayo (need to make more today) the remainder of the baby carrots (which I had with dinner as well instead of the radishes) and a fig. Watched So You Think You Can Dance (awesome performances...so excited about this season!) and went to bed turning my alarm off.

Day 10:

Sleep: 8 hours and 2 minutes. :-) Fell asleep quickly and only woke up twice. Once about an hour after I went to sleep and then not again until about 7:30 this morning. Lovely! 3:34 REM and 1:12 Deep. 

8:20 am Meal 1: Half an acorn squash with cinnamon, coconut butter, and raisins, 3 fried eggs, raw sauerkraut, black coffee

Planned for the rest of the day

Exercise: 4 mi speedwork run - last run before my race on Saturday.

Meal 2:  Lamb burger with mayo, roasted radishes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, apple

Meal 3: Mustard glazed chicken thighs, baked beets with fennel, sauteed boy choy, nectarine

Sips: Kombucha, coffee?, water, mineral water

Hoping I don't need to eat after meal 3 again today. I've been eaten that meal rather early the past few days so it makes sense I've needed it. I have community group tonight and will take off promptly to deliver a photo album to a customer and then plan is to go to bed promptly when I get home. It's quite cloudy today so hopefully the office won't be so hot when I get in but we will see. Suppose I should get off the computer now and get that run in. Very tempted to just call in today to be honest. Not because I feel unwell...I actually feel pretty good...just would like to have some breathing time.

That's pretty cool that your gym offers the water tank body comp!  I only belong to the Y and they would never have anything like that, they just gave me some weird Star Trekky looking thing to hold onto for a minute then declared I was obese.  Thanks guys, I know I am carrying more than my fair share but I am in no way obese.  I would like to know the real deal!

In response to this. Those things are HIGHLY inaccurate. The one I have tells me my body fat is 48% or something like that which is fairly ridiculous. I weighed around 187 on June 1st and wear a size 12. I have been using the calculators from this site: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/ which also give me very different numbers but then I average the 3 and use that as a baseline. Really change over time is more important but I'm looking forward to a much more accurate test.

One more thing totally unrelated to anything else. I really need to fill my hummingbird feeder today. The poor birds keep coming up to it and trying to get food from every which angle and they look frustrated. Luckily there are plenty of flowers on the back bank to keep them in the yard but they are much more fun to watch at the feeder right outside my window. 

The other birds are very happy that I have filled the regular feeder this weekend. As are the cats who are happily watching birdy tv.

My instinct to stay home today was a good one. Too bad I didn't listen to it. 

My produce order showed up earlier than usual so I didn't have last weeks boxes out for them to take. Oops.  :P Got lots of lovely greens again! And my garlic scapes! And two bunches of kale (different kinds).  :wub:  

Got out for my run late and got soaked through to the skin it was raining so hard but I got it done and speedier than planned...amazing your resolve when you are getting wet.

Got such a large cucumber in my box that I ditched the celery from my meal 2 and ate probably 3/4 of that cucumber instead. I remembered I had broccoli rabe when I was putting away my new produce so I steamed that to eat with dinner instead of the bok choy. I had 2 1/2 more cucumbers in my produce drawer 1 1/2 of which were nasty  :angry: so I sliced up the non-nasty one and put the slices into a jar of leftover bubbies pickle brine to see what happens.  B)

By the time I got showered and everything together it was like 1 pm  :o so of course I hit unexpected traffic on the way to work  :rolleyes: and a car full of teenage girls were not paying enough attention in stop and go traffic and totally bumped me hard enough to leave an indent of the license plate holder in my back bumper and jostle me quite a bit.  :angry: Took me well over an hour to get to work so finally had meal 2 around 2:15.

I'm feeling much calmer now but have not really gotten anything done at work. Totally should have just stayed home.

To leave on a positive note. I did get a new paleo cookbook today and I picked up my order of dirty poo hair wash (postage due what?) from the post office today which is great timing as I just ran out of my salon stuff and am excited to try this washing my hair with mud thing.  :P

Physibeth, what kind of sauerkraut are you eating? I've been wondering about a brand to buy. It would be fun to make it, probably, but I want to try some commercial kind first.

Sorry about the rough, shoulda-stayed-home day. That sounds sucky. But broccoli rabe sounds good :)

Shelda...I buy a local brand called Firefly Kitchen at my local food co-op. Not sure if they sell out of the area or not. I know a lot of people like bubbie's brand. The most important thing to look for is that it is raw and it is in a refrigerated section of the store.

Broccoli rabe has garlic ghee melting on it as I type. It's next after I finish eating these chicken thighs and beets and fennel. Omnomnom! 

I've not had golden beets yet just the dark stain everything ones. I only ever tried them because I got them in my produce box. So glad I gave them a chance though. I will admit I was not prepared for the next days bathroom though. Glad Dr Google set me straight as I was certainly worried I was dying for a little bit there.

Day 11

Sleep: Fairly quick to fall asleep. Slept about 7.5 hours. Significantly woke up twice at 1 am and 3:30 am. I remember waking more than that but didn't stay awake long enough for it to log. Had some really weird dreams last night including one where I was eating/drinking some sort of mint chip ice cream shake that tasted kind of boozy. Almost 3 hours of REM sleep and a little over 1 of deep.

Meal 1: (6:30 am) 4 pastured eggs scrambled into kale and chopped garlic scape sauteed in coconut ghee, bacon, sauerkraut, black coffee. The garlic scape added to this meal was lovely tasting and made my kitchen smell amazing.

Exercise: (8:30 am) 1 hour BodyPump class

Meal 2: (12ish) tuna salad, cucumber slices, celery, avocado, home made mayo, apple

Meal 3: (7ish) grass fed beef burger (or 2), sweet potatoes, pickles, carrots

Couldn't finish my broccoli rabe last night because I was already late for community group. Got home around 9:15. Ate a couple pieces of bacon and a fig.  :rolleyes: Iced my neck while I read for a while and browsed facebook on my phone then put myself to bed. In my rush to get out of the house today I had another gym bag packing snafu. I decided I wanted my black Toms instead of my denim ones but somehow managed in the end to grab one of each. At least I got a left and a right shoe.  :rolleyes: Went to Target after the gym for some needed items. May have used shoe snafu to justify buying a couple new pairs of flip flops. Bought a full length mirror (I haven't had one in like 9 years), more pyrex containers, much needed car washing supplies, and some other less exciting stuff.

Tonight we have friends coming over to play Pathfinder and my house is embarrassingly messy still. The cats like to be naughty in our game room. I really need to look into having it professionally cleaned soon. Going to try and cut out early so I can get some straightening up done. I also want to cook and eat my sweet potatoes before everyone else comes over so I can make regular potatoes for everyone else and not share my lovelies. Does that make me a bad hostess? I have 4 or 5 beautiful potatoes from my box last week that need to be used so I should feed them to people who can eat them right? Game runs until at least 10 pm so it will be a late night for me. I am debating taking tomorrow off to ensure I get to bed early enough and have everything ready for race day. I need to truck over to Seattle for the expo today or tomorrow as well. I'm going to have to get up at 4 am Saturday morning.  :o

"The garlic scape added to this meal was lovely tasting and made my kitchen smell amazing."

I was very surprised by the flavor and texture...pleasantly surprised!

And roasted golden beets are de-lish!  :D   I haven't brought myself to roasting the red ones yet....would like to keep my hands looking blood-free!  ;)

Oh!  I got my zoodler!  I haven't taken it out of the box yet as I have been busy but will probably tackle it this coming Sunday when I have fresh zucchini and squash.  I can't wait!  I also received Practical Paleo.  I love that book!  It's a lot bigger than ISWF and has a ton more info on Paleo but so easy to read!  Lots of pretty pictures too...  :wub:   I guess I do read....just COOKBOOKS!  lol

Have fun tonight!!

Archived