Physibeth's First Whole30 Log (finally!)

Physibeth

The red washes off my hands pretty easily when I prep the red beets. 

Yay on the zoodler! I need to use mine again this weekend as I have 4 nice sized zucchini in my veg drawer right now. Love Practical Paleo! 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The avocado was kind of nasty when I cut into it so I tossed it. :( Had plenty of mayo in my tuna and on my veggies so I think I'm ok for fats...just hate tossing avocados as they are not cheap. Need to use them or stop buying them.  

Hmm...might have to try the scapes as pesto though I'm not sure how many I will have left after I add 1 to my kale every morning. How many did you use in pesto? That reminds me I still have a bunch of cilantro in my drawer that I want to make into pesto. I really need to have a clean out the veggies party on Saturday.

Took a peak at the current proposed menu for next weeks box and I'm due to get pea shoots and cherries among other lovelies.  

I used two bunches so maybe 20? Plus basil, cilantro, cashews browned in ghee, salt, pepper and olive oil. I ended up with a ton of pesto so it could easily be reduced. I had it with zoodles and roasted shrimp. Tonight I will have it on spag squash with grilled lamb.

I may try cooking the scapes on the BBQ or in a skillet before I make the pesto next time. The heat of the zoodles or whatever does seem to take some of the bite out of it.

Spag squash freezes really well. I only feed me most of the time so I freeze a lot of stuff.

Day 12:

Sleep: 7 hours 42 minutes. Woke just once around 5 am and  then not again until I woke naturally a little before 8 am. More weird dreams last night but none that were food related (that I remember).

Meal 1: (8:30 am) 4 pastured eggs scrambled into kale and chopped garlic scape sauteed in ghee, bacon, sauerkraut, black coffee.

Snack: (noonish) Mini Blueberry muffin larabar

Meal 2: (1 pm) Lamb burger with homemade mayo, baked beets with fennel, baby carrots

Sips: Kombucha, water, mineral water

Planned Meal 3: Thanksgiving stuffing meatballs, mashed faux-tatoes, brocolli rabe

Ended up having a really late night last night because our party triggered a massive battle that lasted 2 hours about an hour before we were supposed to wrap it up. Was a fun night though so I don't regret it. :-) Turned off the alarm and let myself wake up naturally this morning. Finally got myself out the door around 10 am and picked up my friend who is also running the Rock n Roll tomorrow so we could head over to the expo. That took longer than I had hoped because we decided to look for street parking instead of paying for the garage which meant a long walk. Didn't mind the walk but the expo hall was pretty warm so I have this lovely sweat dripping down my back. Ewwww! Managed to ignore all the free food like substances offered. I did grab 3 free compliant mini larabars and ate one when my tummy was starting to demand food as we were leaving the expo hall. I may have also bought yet another running skirt. I do have a little bit of a problem. I have more running skirts than days I run.  :P  :rolleyes: This years t-shirt is red which is much nicer than last years while one. Planning to run to the store for some things on the way home tonight, pull some meat from the freezer for tomorrow evenings cook up, get everything together for tomorrow morning, and try to be in bed by 8 pm. It poured all day yesterday but today it is cloudy and warmish. That would be fine weather for tomorrow. Just praying for no rain. 

Hmm...might have to try the scapes as pesto though I'm not sure how many I will have left after I add 1 to my kale every morning. How many did you use in pesto? That reminds me I still have a bunch of cilantro in my drawer that I want to make into pesto. I really need to have a clean out the veggies party on Saturday.

I just found a really interesting recipe for tilapia with a cilantro/kale sauce:

Baked Tilapia with Cilantro Kale Chimichurri

http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/baked-tilapia-with-cilantro-kale-chimichurri/

Sounds yummy! And I bet scapes would be good in there too.

I may try cooking the scapes on the BBQ or in a skillet before I make the pesto next time. The heat of the zoodles or whatever does seem to take some of the bite out of it. Spag squash freezes really well. I only feed me most of the time so I freeze a lot of stuff.

Glad to know that spaghetti squash freezes well! The last time I roasted one it was pretty big, and I was more or less sick of it by the time I'd eaten it all. I've always been good at freezing things, but not as good at taking them out and using them! I told a friend that my freezer has been a bit like a black hole. But I think it's essential to keeping this way of eating going for me. It helps so much to realize there's a good meal right there and easily available to me. I can just thaw it overnight, and I'm good to go. And I guess in a pinch I could thaw in the microwave.

Shelda I have trouble remembering what's in my freezer as well. I've thought about keeping an inventory of ready to go foods in my freezer on the door or on the wall next to it so that when I need something quick and/or when I'm meal planning I know what is already ready to go.

4:25 am on race day. Actually managed 6 hours of sleep though with a lot of waking and weird race related stress dreams. Eating fried eggs and bacon and drinking black coffee. Will have some baby carrots and a larabar before I start. Race starts at 7 am but the way they release the corrals I probably won't cross the start line until at least 7:30...maybe later. 

I'll be back with a proper Day 13 when all is done.

Here is the race report I posted on daily mile. Not what I hoped but still good. Still waiting for official chip times too. Cooking a massive sweet potato right now and going to have some grass fed hot dogs with it and mayo. Ate a lot of carrots, a mini larabar, and a banana post race.

I actually had 3 goal levels for this race which I sadly didn't make any of. This is however a 22 minute improvement over last year's RnR Seattle and almost a full minute faster than I ran Wenatchee in April. Still missing my PR by a couple of minutes though. I set my watch pace range to be between my training plan's goal of 10:48 and the 11:22 that it would take to get me my sub 2:30. I maintained this most of the time but I walked too much on the last 3 miles. I don't feel like I hit a physical wall this time and did a much better job of managing my HR. I think today's wall was a mental one. I was experiencing a sore shoulder from mile 2 on that didn't help. The day was warm and sunny with a chilly breeze so my temperature kept going back and forth. Really not sure what I could have done differently other than maybe have a little more mental toughness near the end. I do think I may have taken the hill on mile 2 a little too quickly which maybe got my HR up a little too high early on. The course was beautiful and we were chasing Rainier for a good chunk of time. They also took the really nasty hill that was at mile 5 out of the course which I definitely appreciated.

Splits (hitting the lap button at every mile marker): 1.02 @ 10:53, 1.09 @ 10:30, 1.11 @ 11:20, .89 @ 11:11, 1 @ 11:11, 1 @ 11:20, .96 @ 11:42, .97 @ 12:23, 1.05 @ 10:59, 1 @ 11:55, .99 @ 12:32, 1.01 @ 13:40, 1.34 @ 10:47

Another question...I got a couple of sweet dumpling squash at the store Friday because they are so cute but I have no idea what to do with them. Thoughts? I also got a bright orange spaghetti squash which is small like the other yellow ones I bought last week.

Beth, big kudos on your race. I'm seriously impressed.

You're inspiring me to cook the spaghetti squash I bought last week. Then I have to figure out what to do with it. That carbonara recipe looks great. I loved carbonara the SAD way but haven't had it in over 20 years. Now I'm jonsing for the Paleo version. :)

Sorry girl, logged off and missed your question, gotta get my notifications set up properly. It's too late now but, I actually wouldn't use much, just enough to fry the garlic and coat the "spaghetti" so say, a couple tsp- 1 Tbsp. I wld have heated the ghee, tossed in the garlic, fry till fragrant, then toss in your "spaghetti", add the herbs and toss it all around to coat and heat the squash. Meanwhile, sear the scallops. Throw it all on a plate and enjoy. Maybe even some roasted or steamed broccoli too. What did you end up doing since I abandoned you :-P

Archived