Whole30 with Crohn's

hdlb111

I think its finally time to do a Whole30.

A year ago I was pretty sick. 10 months ago I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease and I discovered Paleo ad felt pretty good for awhile. 2.5 months ago I started getting sick again, and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. The last 2.5 months have been awful.

10 days ago I was admitted to the hospital for the 4th time in 2 months due to Crohn's related issues, and ended up having some pretty serious surgery to remove a good portion of my bowel. Today I'm on the couch healing.

And since I have 3 kids, a puppy and a husband that need me, I'll do whatever I can do for myself to make sure I stay healthy. My doctor assures me that no matter what or how I eat what is going to happen is going to happen and that it makes no difference what type of diet I have, but I don't believe that. So I will do whatever I can to make myself as healthy and strong as possible.

I won't be perfect, and I have to adjust a few things to make this work for me, but I plan on sticking to it as closely as possible.

Starting tomorrow!

Welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear you've been through this, but know that you have several sympathetic ears on this forum who know the pain you're going through. Be gentle with yourself and be patient. Give your body time to heal and take the process as slowly as you need to.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear you've been through this, but know that you have several sympathetic ears on this forum who know the pain you're going through. Be gentle with yourself and be patient. Give your body time to heal and take the process as slowly as you need to.

I think its finally time to do a Whole30.

A year ago I was pretty sick. 10 months ago I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease and I discovered Paleo ad felt pretty good for awhile. 2.5 months ago I started getting sick again, and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. The last 2.5 months have been awful.

10 days ago I was admitted to the hospital for the 4th time in 2 months due to Crohn's related issues, and ended up having some pretty serious surgery to remove a good portion of my bowel. Today I'm on the couch healing.

And since I have 3 kids, a puppy and a husband that need me, I'll do whatever I can do for myself to make sure I stay healthy. My doctor assures me that no matter what or how I eat what is going to happen is going to happen and that it makes no difference what type of diet I have, but I don't believe that. So I will do whatever I can to make myself as healthy and strong as possible.

I won't be perfect, and I have to adjust a few things to make this work for me, but I plan on sticking to it as closely as possible.

Starting tomorrow!

Hi there, I'm brand new at this, too, sorted of started today.  Sorry to hear you have Crohns, and that you've had surgery. I had Ulcerative Colitis and had surgery to remove my large bowel over 30 years ago. I'd be happy to be a support buddy for you, both from a "getting used to your new digestive system" point of view and a Whole 30 scenario as well - we can learn together :)

My issue is that, as I've got older, I don't digest insoluable fibre so well, especially without carbs in the mix, so the large quantity of veggies in the Whole 30 is going to be a challenge for me.  But really keen to give it a go;  I'm already gluten, dairy free and alcohol free anyway, so worth a shot. Oh, and intolerant to eggs :). Anyone one else got similar issues?

• 1 month later...

I wish I could say that I wrote my first post, started my Whole30 the next day and feel awesome, but that didn't happen. Instead, I wrote the post, put it off for a few days and then spend the next 6 weeks in and out of doctors/ER trying to figure out the newest round of pain/symptoms and this was lost in the shuffle.

Then after a visit to my doctor last week where I was informed that having arthritis pain in my fingers/hands, diarrhea, nausea, acid reflux/heartburn, major hair loss, stomach pain after eating and pain in my side is my "Crohn's under control" I had a major meltdown/pity party, then stood up, brushed myself off and made even more diet changes. Now I'm ready to start....on Monday. Its my daughters birthday, I'm having cake.

Hi there, I'm brand new at this, too, sorted of started today.  Sorry to hear you have Crohns, and that you've had surgery. I had Ulcerative Colitis and had surgery to remove my large bowel over 30 years ago. I'd be happy to be a support buddy for you, both from a "getting used to your new digestive system" point of view and a Whole 30 scenario as well - we can learn together :)

My issue is that, as I've got older, I don't digest insoluable fibre so well, especially without carbs in the mix, so the large quantity of veggies in the Whole 30 is going to be a challenge for me.  But really keen to give it a go;  I'm already gluten, dairy free and alcohol free anyway, so worth a shot. Oh, and intolerant to eggs :). Anyone one else got similar issues?

Thank you so much for the support Soozieg, I'm lost in all of this, and I really hate my digestive system right now. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat I have issues.

I won't be following the program totally, there is just no way. Veggies are a huge no-no, unless I want to spend the entire day in the bathroom the next day. And I mean any veggies, a small bowl of salad or a handful of carrot sticks is enough to cause problems. But I will be juicing veggies daily and getting the nutrients that way.

Hi Hd, I was just diagnosed with Crohn's last year after thinking I had IBS for most of my life. For me the key is eliminating grains forever and no FODMAPS. I also don't do raw veggies (I just had a flare from salad, UGH!). So I get where you are coming from. You can also do root veggies cooked well and mashed or even pureed. Sweet potatoes and butternut squash are great. Can you tolerate those?

Glad you finally got started. I was in the hospital last fall and that's when I said 'ENOUGH' I have to do something. I was on SCD for months healing and found out about W30. I finished my first one on Tuesday. I feel great. I am taking a break while on vacation and will start again on 9/1.

Doctors don't know everything. If it was up to my GE, I'd be on prilosec and a few immune-suppressent drugs. I didn't want to go that route. I also had bad GERD and pain in my stomach after eating. When on SCD, I started taking HCL and digestive enzymes and they have eliminated GERD. I still have the pain now and ten, but not as bad as it was. All in all, my digestion is the best it has been, disregarding the lettuce incident. Don't give up, you can feel better!

Hi Hd, I was just diagnosed with Crohn's last year after thinking I had IBS for most of my life. For me the key is eliminating grains forever and no FODMAPS. I also don't do raw veggies (I just had a flare from salad, UGH!). So I get where you are coming from. You can also do root veggies cooked well and mashed or even pureed. Sweet potatoes and butternut squash are great. Can you tolerate those?

Glad you finally got started. I was in the hospital last fall and that's when I said 'ENOUGH' I have to do something. I was on SCD for months healing and found out about W30. I finished my first one on Tuesday. I feel great. I am taking a break while on vacation and will start again on 9/1.

Doctors don't know everything. If it was up to my GE, I'd be on prilosec and a few immune-suppressent drugs. I didn't want to go that route. I also had bad GERD and pain in my stomach after eating. When on SCD, I started taking HCL and digestive enzymes and they have eliminated GERD. I still have the pain now and ten, but not as bad as it was. All in all, my digestion is the best it has been, disregarding the lettuce incident. Don't give up, you can feel better!

I haven't actually tried any root veggies yet, because I really dislike them....one day I'll start experimenting and try to find a way that I don't mind.

I decided to start today instead of on Monday, which was a challenge because we were going out for lunch. We rarely go out (maybe 3 times a year) so I never think twice about what I'm ordering, until today. 

Today I had:

B: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil and a banana. I was still hungry so I had a piece of jerky a little bit later, and I always have a glass of OJ since I have medication that is mixed into it.

L: Steak and steamed veggies at lunch (not many veggies, waiting to see how I handle them now.

D: Bacon wrapped chicken and granny smith apple.

And I do have a snack at night time, it helps with how I feel in the morning. I think I'll just snack on some raspberries and another piece of jerky.

Archived