Having a hard time staying on track

dncr4180

I get to about day 4-5 and the sugar dragon sucks me back in! I've lost count of how many times I have tried.... But not giving up yet. I am alone in my household as I have a husband who is real picky eater and two young children. I tend to get real stressed and grab something sweet.

Any words of encouragement are welcome.

I'm only on Day 2, but I know the temptations will happen.

Make tea or pick up a magazine or go for a walk. I find that keeping idle hands busy helps.

Also, if you're a Game of Thrones fan, just repeat Arya's motto: Not Today, Not Today.

Can you clear all triggers out of the house?  The kids will get on board because they really don't have a choice, having no money to buy food and I really hope husband can/will support you in this.  

I put my beloved French cookbooks in the back of a closet so I'm not seeing them and unsubscribed to every cooking blog as they inevitably post desserts.  Also, when I quit smoking a few years back I saw this acronym somewhere: N.O.P.E.  Not One Puff Ever  and I have been thinking about that for not just sugar (I too have a giant sugar dragon) but all of the Whole30 non-compliants.  If cravings got too rough I would simply go to sleep and I have never been a day napper but it did help.  At that time I read that when making a major change like that you go through a sort of grieving period, and I absolutely did!  But it got MUCH better in time so hold tight to that.  The worst cravings tended to be in idle times as Niki says above so keeping busy is, I think, a great idea.  I'm still in the honeymoon period (Day 2) but fully expect my Sugar Dragon to try to appear here soon so I am also thinking about this a lot.     

Stay strong- you can do this and it will be worth it    

Yeah the sugar dragon is an incredibly hard one to crack..... 3 whole 30's and mine still lives.  Not nearly as big as he was, and he does get caged from time to time but yeah he's still alive an kicking.

I to am an emotional eater.  However it gets the worst when I am angry or when I'm bored.  Most cravings take about 5 minutes to pass.  5 minutes is not that long.  I recongnized a huge sugar craving when I was in Wal-mart.  Obviously checking out at that point in time where I was going to stand face to face with the chocolate bars that I was craving was not a wise idea.  So I distracted myself with the jewellry section until it passed.  And once I was looking at random stuff I forgot all about the craving.

I also used to have a sweet fix in the afternoon around 3:30 or 4 pm.  Now my sweet fix has become rooibos tea (naturally sweet).  I also promised myself that if I went into a store in search of a sweet fix that I would by something else instead - ie: magazine, tea, maybe a bottle of nail polish.  Something that was a bit of a treat but had nothing to do with what I was craving.  If I was home I would go for a short walk, take a bath, read a book, craft.  Something that is also considered a treat but again nothing to do with what I was craving.  Make a list of things that will take a few minutes of your time but will distract you long enough to forget about the craving.

I find that the key to a successful whole 30 is to plan.  Not just meals but in case cravings hit - what are you going to do?

Best of luck to you!  You can do this!!!

Archived