Plantains as a substitute for sweet potato

I have just recently discovered the joy and convenience of sliced, fried plantains (in coconut oil or compliant bacon grease).  

For the past few days I have been having one whole plantain with 1 or 2 meals a day, hoping this will help keep my carbohydrate count up at a healthy level.  

I will usually also have 1-2 sweet potatoes a day (one with the post workout meal, and then maybe one with another meal)

I just want to get some thoughts on whether I am doing the right thing, or if I might be consuming too many plantains.  

• Moderators

Some thoughts...

I personally eat 1 or 2 plantains per week. I don't eat more because pan-fried plantains seem a lot like dessert to me AND I am not active enough lately to need starchy carbs to function well.

Four big servings of starchy carbs per day ( 2 plantains and 2 sweet potatoes) sounds right for an athlete training twice per day or if you are skinny and trying to gain weight. If your activity levels are modest or you are trying to lose weight, that is a lot of starchy carbs. Two servings per day sounds right for someone training vigorously and who wants to maintain their current weight.

I think it important that starchy carbs not crowd other vegetables off your plate. For me, it is easy to eat a lot of sweet potatoes because they are simple to prepare and I like them, but I try to make sure that I eat a good variety of veggies every day. My personal goal is to have a plate full of wilted greens at least once per day and to get a variety of colors in with veggies - red, yellow, orange bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, artichoke hearts, beets, tomatoes, etc.

Archived