OVEREATING....UGH.....ANY GOOD ADVICE??

hojo

So.....I'm humming along nicely BUT.....I am overeating compliant food.  Getting bloated because of it and getting mad that I'm doing it.  Any great mental tricks, advice?  I know all the standard....take a walk.....distract yourself, etc.....but in the moment....I just eat fruit, nuts, whatever it may be mindlessly and then I'm mad later when I'm full and bloated.  I hate this because it does affect my evening meal....so it is pushing veggies off my plate because I'm just not hungry because of snacking.  Has anyone had great success trying to actually portion amounts.....I know they frown on this but I feel that I've come a long way in my relationship with food and this is the last thing that needs to be dealt with.  Like I have no desire to eat chocolate, cookies, gluten, bread, etc....ever again.  I really don't have a sugar demon anymore but I seem to replace that feeling of being 'naughty' sometimes with overeating.  LIke my last ditch rebellion.....  It is hampering my results and flat tummy and its annoying.....even as I type this I'm sick of myself!  I want one of you to come out the computer screen and slap me!

Anyhoo......great words of wisdom for me????

I guess it depends. Are you just eating more than you think at meals or are you snacking? For me sticking inside the template and not allowing myself out of it really helps. I realized early on in my paleo journey that it was really easy for me to sit down and eat a bag of nuts in the evening. So now I only eat nuts if they are part of my meal. I also try and only eat fruit with a meal and preferable just twice a day. If you really are hungry between meals do a mini meal template snack. I've heard this a bunch on the forum that if you are not hungry enough to eat plain fish and broccoli than you probably are not really hungry. 

Does that answer your question?

Well, for me it's not an issue of 'hunger'....more of an emotional/boredom/rebellion reason to eat. So I am wanting suggestions to almost talk myself out of those situations where you just want to eat more but are not hungry. Maybe I have some other 'need' in my life that I am trying to meet with food.....

I easily could have done this kind of overeating. I tried keeping mac nuts in my freezer. No go. Way too easy to dip into them. I had to vote them off of my island for close to 2 years. I now allow raw cashews in for 2 recipes. I have no urge to eat them otherwise.

I feel the same way about fruit. It just kept my sugar dragon awake. Now I eat fruit when I am at my mom's house in SD. She grows amazing heirloom organic fruit.

Ditto what Susan said. Stop eating the things you are over eating. If you are bingeing on fruit and nuts (or dried fruit--my nemesis) then it's probably causing some issues. And if you can't eat it in moderation, skip it. Make yourself eat a mini meal, template-style, instead. It's hard for a couple days (or if you dip back into the troublesome foods) but you get used to it.

It just doesn't seem as easy as 'stop eating the foods your overeating'.....there has to be something mental/internal that can be done. Anyone successful talking themselves out of this situation?

I mean stop eating it *completely* versus trying to moderate. Remove from house, resolve not to eat, etc. It's not simple at all! :) Also I think you are talking about two things, maybe. 1) over eating foods w/out brakes (nuts, fruit) and 2) emotionally overeating. The stopping eating FWOB is clearly more simple than the emotional eating part.

I had the same issue during my 1st Whole30. I improved a bit during my 2nd Whole30. But prior to my 3rd Whole30, I worked on eating 3 meals a day - period. I found that I had to eat to the point that I was almost uncomfortably full at each meal in order to make it to the next meal without snacking. I trained my body to get used to this way of eating. It was surprising to see that I wasn't really eating enough at meals before. I worked on this for 2 months before starting my 3rd Whole30. So far my 3rd Whole30 is the best one yet. Plus, eating 3 meals a day seems to help my energy levels and is better for my digestion. It took some real effort to only eat 3 meals a day but it has gotten much easier with time. I'm sure you could also do 4 or even 5 meals a day - I think what matters is that they are real meals (not fruit and nuts) and that you "start and stop".

I love this Jillian and have known in my heart that I'm probably headed in this direction....just difficult to wrap your head around the lack of 'fun' of a snack....finding fun in other things.

Glad to hear, hojo. Honestly, once I learned how to eat enough at each meal (that was key), I really began to enjoy not thinking about food in between meals more than I ever enjoyed the snack. It was a little mental freedom. Finding fun in other things really helps, too :)

The Whole30 process is about learning how your body works, about your mental and emotional food issues, etc.

In some ways the foods you are snacking on aren't "compliant" as we shouldn't be snacking on fruits, nuts, etc. during our W30. That's how I convinced myself to not snack like that when I W30. Fruit was only allowed when I was eating a meal except in cases of emergencies where I was out in town and missed a meal and grabbed from my cashew and coconut bag (my car was the ONLY place I kept nuts so I didn't snack on them) with maybe an apple. But aside from that FOR ME being on plan meant fruit was only eaten with my meals. No fruit for snacking, no treat, no dessert. So I didn't snack because it wasn't W30 FOR ME. Make sense? The meal template says NO Snacking if can help it so I took that to mean doing the W30 meant NO snacking unless an emergency.

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

So that's how I talked myself out of non stop fruit and nut snacking. Maybe that will help.

Yes, I think the no snacking rule needs to be applied at my house....because I find once that door is opened, it can lead to 'several' snacks.  So I will be trying to implement more food at my noon meal as 3-5pm seem to be my most difficult time of day.  Also I think I'm going to try to have ground seasoned meat in the fridge more often so that if needed I can take a couple forks of that if I'm super hungry.Thanks for the help everyone!

Rrrrreeeeeaaaalllly appreciated this thread! I found myself nodding as I read many of the posts in response. I'm with you, hojo. The single biggest challenge during my first week was limiting myself to 3 meals a day. I discovered something profoundly troubling about my tendency to graze. I think I appreciate the "dictator-like" quality of the rules of this program, and don't resent them, because I need something this strict to frame my eating within. Otherwise, I too would just continue to nibble and munch and pop in a handful of this and that here and there without giving it any real thought. I also echo the comment about eating at each meal almost to the point of discomfort in order to make it to the next meal. I too recognized that I needed to do this, but eventually, my body figured out how much was needed and absolutely shut down my efforts to keep eating. The day that happened, I literally put down my fork and said, "Wow. I'm actually full. I'm done. I don't need anymore food." I think I retrained my body not to expect the regular, inter-meal refills. Which has been a great relief. Good luck with this struggle to overcome. I think you're so clearly self-aware and honest, and obviously committed!

OP, i'm sure you've already gotten a lot of good answers, but one of the things that helped me stop grazing was to 100% stick to 3 square meals. NO SNACKING. If I'm not sitting down at the table, with a consciously prepared meal...I'm not eating it.

This is harder to accomplish on somebody's first Whole30, because a lot of people are ravenous between meals and really do need to snack. We aren't anti-snack, we just discourage it...partially because it feeds into the mindless eating patterns that you're struggling from right now

Good luck!

Archived