Stomach discomfort - 2 weeks post reintroduction

Hi all!

I finished my whole30 with what I consider to be flying colours - I lost weight, never strayed and got into a good rhythm with food and workouts.

We've decided to eat mostly Whole30 now we've finished our reintroductions.. that is, the majority, if not all meals at home or where possible out (there are few great Paleo cafes that have opened in my hometown here in Australia) will be whole30 compliant. 

If we go out socially with friends we'll make as good meal choices as we can but I won't deny myself, while keeping it all as balanced as possible.. ie - no more than 1 non-compliant meal a week where possible. I don't to find myself in a place where I can justify too many off-road meals!

Here's the issue. I've had terrible stomach discomfort over the past 5 days or so. I guess it's gas, but just a feeling of nausea is there too. Eating helps somewhat, but most of the time I just feel.. gross! I don't need to run to the toilet or anything, it's just this constant feeling of gas/indigestion/nausea. I'm on antibiotics at the moment so it may be that as well. 

Would these gradual off-road meals be attributing to this feeling days after I've eaten them? Why can't I find a happy middle ground? Do many people experience this as well?

Sorry for the long-windedness!

• Moderators

I would bet the antibiotics are most of the problem. Antibiotics disturb the balance in your gut by killing off a variety of bacterias that grow there. It is disturbing while the killing is going on and it can take weeks if not months for your gut to recover. I took antibiotics several months ago and noticed issues for about a month after I finished.

I had about a week of stomach aches post W30, too, and maybe not so conincidentally, I was on antibiotics.  The tummy ache didn't start until I was already on the antibiotics a few days, so I didn't think that was the cause, but maybe it was.  I hope yours clears up quickly!

Archived