Bloating, gas, cravings

hbiscotti

REPOST FROM FRIDAY ;)

I started over on June 25 (that was day 3 of my start over) and I'm going strong. I have found that I have a psychological craving for chocolate, especially in the evening. I am reading the "It Start With Food" book and I have implemented how to determine if I'm having a craving or am I really hungry. I ask myself, would I have a piece of fish and steamed broccili? My answer is normally, "no". So I understand I am having a craving. But the chocolate craving only happens in the evening, after dinner (not everyday though). I used to always have some kind of snack in the evening and it was normally something chocolate so I understand where this is coming from. Since that was a habit of mine for a long time it has been difficult for me to disengage from that habit. Any suggestions?

Also, yesterday I got severely bloated and sick to my stomach after lunch. For breakfast I had;

4 scrambled eggs w/ carrot sticks chopped very fine, broccili slaw, also chopped very fine, tomato, and diced sweet potato

Lunch

"Pancakes"

3 eggs, chopped carrot sticks, handful of cashews, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 2 bananas, 2 tsps vanilla I smashed it all together and made 2 pancakes out of it.

I started feeling sick right after lunch. It was a feeling of being very full at first, then it turned into stabbing pains (intermittent), feeling as if I was going to throw up, and basically doubling over in pain. I took some Pepto and that didn't even work. It lasted for about 2 - 3 hours and then dissipated. I cannot figure out what happened based on what I ate. Help please!

This is an addendum to my previous post;

• I started the Whole30 on May 25.
  • I started over on June 22 (because I had been drinking protein shakes for about a week that were not Whole30 compliant )
  • So the first time I was on Whole30 for 28/29 days
  • I have been on Whole30 the second time for 16 days

I added the number of days on the program because I am trying to understand what happened yesterday with what I ate and why I felt so sick.

Thank you to whoever answers this!!!

Did you cook the "pancakes" or eat them raw? The reason I ask is that you may have had a reaction to the raw eggs - not salmonella or food poisoning, just an inability to digest the raw proteins. I know people who have had that kind of reaction from raw eggs before and also from sushi or steak tartare.

Failing that, is thre anything in the pancakes that you haven't had before? Or that you haven't had in that quantity before?

• Moderators

Or maybe there was a problem with one or more of the ingredients of your lunch and your stomach caught the blow back from it.

I need to inject a program note... The guidelines of the Whole30 use pancakes as an example of what NOT to eat... "In addition, no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices! We call this “Sex With Your Pants On†(SWYPO), and it will ruin your Whole30 faster than you can say, “Paleo pizza.†Do not try to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold. This means no “Paleo-fying†desserts or junk food – no Paleo pancakes, pizza, brownies or ice cream. Trying to replicate junk food with “technically approved†ingredients misses the point of the Whole30 entirely."

Did you cook the "pancakes" or eat them raw? The reason I ask is that you may have had a reaction to the raw eggs - not salmonella or food poisoning, just an inability to digest the raw proteins. I know people who have had that kind of reaction from raw eggs before and also from sushi or steak tartare.

Failing that, is thre anything in the pancakes that you haven't had before? Or that you haven't had in that quantity before?

Nothing new but I'm thinking I maybe ate too much because I was soooo hungry. I did cook the eggs.

So I understand I am having a craving. But the chocolate craving only happens in the evening, after dinner (not everyday though). I used to always have some kind of snack in the evening and it was normally something chocolate so I understand where this is coming from. Since that was a habit of mine for a long time it has been difficult for me to disengage from that habit. Any suggestions?

I just finished reading the book, The Power of Habit. The author provides a scenario that is very similar to yours as an illustration of how powerful food habits can be. His example is that of an office worker who goes to the vending machine every afternoon for a big cookie. Followed by chatting with friends before going back to his desk.

His suggestion is to not stop the break, the chatting AND the cookie, but to substitute an alternative habit that provides the break, the socialization, but not the cookie. So maybe taking a walk with friends for 15 minutes or something like that.

Funny, we do the same thing in dog training. When you are working on resolving a problem behavior, much better success is possible when you train an alternative, desired behavior. The technical term for it is "training an incompatible behavior". For example, making a sit for greeting the default. You won't jump up on someone if sitting gets you what you want. ;)

I think when we find food habits (or really any unhealthy habit), just stopping the habit isn't enough for long term success. We need to come up with an alternate, incompatible habit to take it's place - and make that new habit a healthy, or at least neutral, choice!

Archived