Father's Day at Vietnamese Restaurant - help requested

papyrus

Hello!

I'm on day 13 of my first Whole30 and while I've had plenty of little challenges that I've been able to navigate just fine, but this one I think I need some help.  My dad is requesting Vietnamese for Father's Day and I'm not sure what would be a good choice for me - all I think of is rice, noodles, peanut, and soy!   Here is the menu - is there anything that stands out as an okay choice?  I am also very self conscious about seeming fussy to the wait staff or my fellow diners so I would like to avoid asking a million questions if I can :)

Thanks for your help!

http://www.lemongrass-rest.com/index.html

The mussels with garlic sauce could work along with the lotus root salad without the peanuts. Would need to confirm no nasties in the garlic sauce on mussels and lemon sauce on the salad.

Or maybe they can stir fry some chicken and vegetables in olive oil for you?

Another brilliant suggestion, Susan - thanks!

I completely failed lunch at the restaurant.  I never did take the time to call ahead and on the menu I found this:

Char-Broiled Shrimp

Steamed rice and char broiled shrimp marinated in garlic and lemongrass.

To me, that sounded like marinated grilled shrimp, so I ordered it without rice and without asking questions.  It arrived swimming in a sticky brown sauce.  I knew right then and there a few things:

1. That I wasn't going to send it back or fuss over it :unsure:

2. Never just assume, even if it seems like it's spelled out on the menu :wacko:

3. That I would be starting over at day 1 again today  :)

4. HEED THE ADVICE OF THE WHOLE30 VETERANS ON THIS WEBSITE :D  (especially when you ask for this advice, DOH!)

While I am a little bummed that I won't be able to indulge in chilly white wine and saucy BBQ on July 4th, my body is rejoicing over the opportunity of  extra squeaky-clean eating.  I'm going in to this round a little wiser. 

Also feel free to sneak your coconut aminos and dressing in. Spice jars make awesome small travel containers. :)

This is such a great idea!  I've been hesitant to ride my bike to work lately because I have to haul so much food around, including an arsenal of condiments like coconut aminos, hot sauce, mustard, but I loaded up a couple of spice containers as you mentioned above...great space/weight saver in my backpack.  Thanks, Susan!

Also...Do you have a good recipe for these rubbed ribs?  Sounds fantastic!

Archived