I feel worse

I started the Whole 30 on July 2. Before that I was eating gluten free vegan. I have to say that I feel worse. I am constipated and exhausted. Today I have not been able to stay awake. I am nauseated as well.

I started this program to help my autoimmune issues including thyroiditis and latent celiac,(antibodies, but no intestinal damage yet),another intestinal issue and a chronic injury that is not healing. I can barely stay awake today.

I hope that someone answers my post today.

Thanks,

June

Did you work meat back in? I hadn't eaten any meats other than seafood in a long time (about 10 years), and when I added poultry back in, my stomach was a mess for about a week. But, now it's fine. My point is, if you're adding back in things you haven't eaten in a long time, it might take a while for your body to readjust.

For what it's worth, I feel MUCH better now than I have in a very long time, so I think if you hang in there, it might work out.

Also, based on what folks have said in other threads, it might be worth making sure that you're getting enough fat; that seems like it makes a really big difference for a lot of people.

Thank you for responding.

I was vegan since last August so almost a year. I am eating chicken or turkey sausages (Applegate farms for breakfast with a lot of veggies and either chicken,hamburger or turkey for the other meals.

I am eating TONS of fat: organic coconut oil,avocado organic olive oil. Before I wasn't eating any added fat exept for avocado.

I am about 10 pounds underweight, so I have been eating three meals a day. Today I only ate breakfast because of the nausea.

I didn't think that I would have a problem with the meats, but maybe I should cut back a little. I just don't know what else to eat since I can't have beans. I also have IBS so haven't eaten too much fruit.

Thanks,

June

I agree that adding back in meat and fat will probably make your break in period much harder.

I have to admit to being curious, if you didn't eat meat or dairy, and you were gluten free, and you were eating extremely low fat before, and you were avoiding fruit due to IBS ... what were you eating? It doesn't sound like you were eating anything at all really.

June, Honestly based on what you describe, I would think that you're malnourished and you're having a normal response to going back to eating a healthy amount of food. Have you had any medical tests done ... any bloodwork or anything like that?

It's only been a week. It really does take time for your body to reprogram itself.

When I went from vegan back to eating meat, I was sick for a week, then I slowly started to feel better. In addition, you are not only adding in meat, you are eliminating starches, which are fairly addictive and there is a withdrawal phase. So try to give your body more time to initiate the healing process. Perhaps cut back a bit on fat, and make sure you are eating lots of veggies. I know that sounds funny to say to a former vegan, but as a former vegan myself, I know that even vegans don't eat enough veggies sometimes. ;)

I am severly gluten intolerant and when I went off gluten, I thought I was going to die. I think that it's a much more intense cleansing process when celiacs/gluten intolerant folks give up the gluten. Hang in there.

• Moderators

You may need digestive enzymes to help you break down the protein and fats you are eating. Now Foods Super Enzymes are popular in the paleo world and many people have found them helpful. The Whole9 mentions them as being helpful for people just starting to eat meat at http://whole9life.com/2011/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged/.

Thanks Tom,

I do take digestive enzymes or food would just sit in my stomach. Thanks Adagio, I have been gluten free since 2014,but I may have been glutened from cross contamination at restaurants. I also eat lots of veggies at every meal. I would put carrots and butternut squash in the oatmeal.

Have a good evening all,

June

It's very common for things to get worse before they get better. Especially with the reintroduction of meat products, your body needs a lot of enzymes now that it's probably down regulated over the last few years of being vegan. Hang in there!!

Archived