Ready to get started 6/24/13

Jennifer Lagania

Day 7 and doing great. I haven't had any cravings, grouchyness, or headaches and feel fantastic. My DH thinks I've lost my mind since I was such a critic before and am now passionate about it. Maybe he'll see the results and some day get on board.

Today's dinner is chicken thighs sautéed in olive oil, garden tomatoes, onion, garlic and fresh basil cooked together. I'll add some salt & pepper and a little coconut milk/cream. Side of mashed sweet potatoes and fresh pineapple. I LOVE that all these great fruits and vegetables are so readily available right now.

Congratulations to all of us for staying strong for a week!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, one week done, 3 more to go (and two days). I am finding myself experimenting less with paleo recepies, than I was before. I usually try 4-5 new recepies every week, but this week I have fallen back to the simpel foods such like some kind of fried meat and some veggies. SO borring in many ways, but also very easy to make and cookingtime has gone down. But I miss the great food, that made me love paleo, so next week I need to make a more interesting food-plan (we always have a plan for a week).

I have a new favorite salad at the moment. It's one fennil, 2-3 selleri sticks, 1 sweet appel and dressed with 3 table spoons of oliveoil, 2 tablespoons lemonjuice, 1-2 dates without skin, salt and pepper (recepie for two people). The veggies and appel are sliced very thin and dressing is blended in a blender and poured over. Nice - also god with pear instead of apple.

I love a side of cream of mushrooms - made with the hard part of a can of coconutmilk (when you put it in the fridge for a few hours the hard part sits in the top) instead of cream. Just fried onion, any kind of mushrooms (chanterelles, oyster mushrooms, field mushrooms or just regular mushrooms) and then the coconut cream, salt and pepper and warmed till its creamy. NICE!!! And easy - good with pork.

Hope others will share their favorites :-)

HI everyone! I started on 6/25 so I'm a day behind most of you. The first five days were a breeze and I was very suspicious of the lack of hunger. I had the withdrawal headaches and some energy slumps but generally not as bad as I anticipated. Then day 6 hit. I was fine until I had buffet brunch with a friend at a big hotel. I was super careful and thought that everything I had was compliant but there must have been something hidden as my stomach turned into a mess and all of a sudden my cravings hit like a ton of bricks!

I would have killed for some grains or something crunchy like salt and pepper kettle chips which are my weakness. So rather than give in I kept grazing on compliant foods, and kept grazing - nuts, fruit, more nuts and more fruit which just made me feel worse. 

This morning, day 7, my stomach is still off and bloated and I"m feeling guilty for eating too much yesterday but I am also doing this to learn how to get rid of food guilt. And I'm proud for not caving. 

So moving on! 

How is everyone else doing? I'm encouraged that you guys are all feeling fab! 

And thank you all for the recipe suggestions. I have not used ghee yet - I like to use olive oil in everything so I'll give it a go. 

How are you guys handling dining at restaurants? 

Evening of day 8 and I could sleep sitting here writing. I had to get up last night to change diapers and bed linnens :-/ And later on had to sit and rock my little girl to sleep again, after she had night terrors. I really need some sleep! BUT I am starting af new excercise program today and I have some work to do, so it will be at least a couple of hours before I can hit the showers and then bed. 

I dont know if the food has anything to do with me being tired, but I am looking forward to the tiger blood part if and when it comes!

Good night ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz....

Back again! Biggest thing for me right now: I made it through a weekend! May have eaten more fruit than I should, but I didn't eat anything that wasn't compliant, so that's a huge accomplishment for me.

I, too, am still pretty tired. That is one thing I'm really hoping to get out of this Whole30 -- I'd love to wake up refreshed & not feel like I'm fighting to keep my eyes open all day. But, the horrible headaches from last week are gone, and the cravings aren't as bad.

I even survived a bit of a crazy day. I had planned to grab Chipotle on my way to work a second premiere screening of Despicable Me 2 as I had seen before that the carnitas there (my favorite!) is compliant. Then, I read on the forums that they've changed how they cook it & now use soybean oil (grrr!). But, I had luckily packed some Primal Pacs jerky and I made a lunch run to pick up some veggies, guac & fruit...voila, a meal! So I survived, but it's bumming me out to not have a place to be able to run for a quick meal at times like these.

That's about all for now. Glad to be almost halfway through week 2! :)

Good work on making it through the weekend! It's the little steps that make the difference. I have to keep reminding myself that I'll be happy in the morning that I didn't cave the day before. 

How's everyone tackling the 4th? 

Day 9 and I too am missing a place, where I can get some take out. 

Today I brought my frying pan to work and cooked up lunch - my colleagues were surpriced, but also a bit envious of my food as the scent of it spread  :P I didn't want to do it that way, but I didn't have time at home this morning.

Because I have so many meetings this week I am home later than usual and haven't had the time to buy food for a week like I'm used to, so I have to make do with what I got and tomorrow I might have some lunch problems :o I have been following the plate template to a t, but that might not be the case tomorrow...

Why don't I just go buy food instead of beeing on the computer - because I have small kids going to bed in a few minutes and they can't be home alone. Hopefully I will be able to go buy something inbetween meetings tomorrow.

Tomorrow is 1/3 of the way - yay.

DAY 9 WHOOT!!  I have been having cravings lately, I really just want something baked.  It gets really bad when I am frustrated.  BUT I am avoiding them. 

My husband commented on my energy this morning, and I feel great.  We go out of town tomorrow, and I am very excited to see family, but dreading the why's and the oh c'mons.  :/ 

I see everyone else is doing well.  :)  So excited that it was pointed out that tomorrow we will be 1/3 of the way finished! AWESOME! 

Day 10

ARGH!!! Craving dark chocolate, paleo bananacake and frappochinos!!! 

MUST NOT EAT everything in the cupboards... MUST get over it.

I am so proud of myself, as I have keept compliant AND followed the plate template at all times (3 meals a day) and I WILL not change that. Mind over body. COME ON!!!

You should be proud of yourself! Staying away from that cupboard is quite an achievement. I just try to distract myself. I was craving chips and guac so i made the guac and ate with carrots. Turns out I was craving the guac and not the chips part. 

I strangely woke up full of pep today as well! Good enough reason to keep going I say. 

And thank you SO much for pointing out we're a third way through - how awesome is that??

I am with you Bad Teacher!! Today was the first day I REALLY wanted sugar. Even honey or agave. I too have not strayed for one bite but it was harder today than all the days combined.

Staying strong with you!! We can do this!

RABQ9430 nice to know others are suffering as well  ;) 

I woke up and was craving free and felt pretty good, as it was my last day at work before the summer holidays. So day 11 has gone by quickly. And I still have work to do, before I can go on holiday, 'cause they called me from kindergarten, that I needed to come pick up my oldest girl who was feeling bad  :( 

Well no tigerblood here yet, but I do feel good.

I've definitely fell off the wagon. I did not prepare like I should have, so I will be starting over Monday. I plan to eat as paleo as possible for the next few days. Traveling definitely messed me up. But I do have the well fed book now and will be planning a lot more! Thanks for all the support ladies!! Keep strong!!

I've definitely fell off the wagon. I did not prepare like I should have, so I will be starting over Monday. I plan to eat as paleo as possible for the next few days. Traveling definitely messed me up. But I do have the well fed book now and will be planning a lot more! Thanks for all the support ladies!! Keep strong!!

Good luck with your next go. I'm sure planning will help a lot. I know that is what saves me from "falling of the wagon". During the whole30 I have every meal planned at least a day ahead - up to a week ahead, and I have shopped for it all.

Good idear to live paleo until you start again - maybe the carbflu wont be as bad.

Again good luck.

Day 12 and I survived going to the movies with my daughter and not eating her popcorn. Yay me. Am now going to enjoy vacationtime. Tomorrow it's smores (not for me) by the fire. Monday a visit at the zoo and then visiting friends and packing before we leave for 14 days of vacation at a summerhouse by the water. NICE. 

Good thing I'm on the whole30 or I would get fat from all the ice cream I would be eating...

Day 13 was a fun day with friends :-) Foodwise it was an ok day, but I could have used more veggies for dinner. Unfortunatley I forgot to specify that veggies don't include green beans, so being the good host that my friend is, she made green new fresh beans as the extra veggies for me - I didn't have the heart to tell her and just didn't eat them and tried not to let her notice  :unsure:

Today is just another day. Summer is finally here (Denmark has had so much rain in June) and we are having pulled pork for dinner - first time my husband is attempting to make it om the bbq. 

How many of us are still keeping whole30 now that we are almost half way through?  :)

Still waiting for tiger blood  :ph34r:

I'm so impressed with how well we're all doing! I'm excited to say that once I get through dinner, I'll have successfully navigated a second weekend AND a holiday picnic with my husband's family. :) Tonight's meal is grilled salmon, grilled brussels sprouts, roasted acorn squash & some watermelon. YUM!

I feel like I'm getting smaller -- haven't moved into smaller sizes yet, but some things are either fitting better or getting a little big. Still dealing with acne (grrrr!) and not having the tiger blood feeling, but I am a little more energetic than I was before, so that's a plus.

And BadTeacher, you could've eaten those green beans -- just double checked ISWF & they're A-OK. (Thank goodness because I bought some to eat this week). :)

I can't believe we're almost half way through! 

I also feel like the days are going faster. In the first week every day felt so long because I was focusing so much on prep and the next meal and making sure I'm sticking to the rules and the second week it kind of felt like auto-pilot and decisions were coming more naturally. Does anyone else feel like that? 

Sunday is my farmers market day. Came home with bags of delicious produce for the week. Nice to be excited about all the healthy food. 

Go figure - I thought green beans were a legume and not ok - maybe the translation is a problem?

Day 15 and tomorrow I start counting down, as the halfway mark is passed.

I didn't have time for breakfast today - BAD!!! But otherwise I have stayed within my whole30. I packed lunch for my trip to the zoo with the kids and didn't have ice cream with them  :( I just say to myself "Ice cream will still be there next year when you are thin and can enjoy it without guilt". I don't think I will ever eat tons of ice cream again, but one or two in the summer with my girls would be nice. As soon as I am of whole30 I'll make some paleo-friendly ice cream...

15 (almost) down and 15 to go  :D

I found that I was getting sick of eggs as all I did was scramble them. Once I fried them instead or had them boiled or poached it changed it for me. So maybe switching up the way you cook the eggs? I'm going to try baking next in ramekins. 

I also occasionally eat dinner leftovers. I'm a fan of leftovers from the night before 

I also go to the farmers market each week - there is SO much produce right now I get bags of all different things so that I'm eating different things each day. Is that an option for you? 

I am kind of stuck on eggs too.  But what I do, is fry some eggs and put them over my ground meat, or pork roast.  I add some tessamaes southwest ranch sauce.  It is quite yummy!  I am also now addicted to watermelon.  I swear I could eat it all day!

Archived