Ready to get started 6/24/13

Jennifer Lagania

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my scramble with onions, bell pepper and tomato, but mix it up with leftovers. So not much help from me. I do however have a trick to mixing it up. Make a plan for the week - use the many paleo web-sites to get new and exciting recipes. Then buy all you need for that week (you might need to buy fruits twice in a week and also some veggies, but otherwise food can stay fresh for about a week without problems). That way you don't get the same over and over again AND you get to try out new recipes  :D

This weeks plan here is

Pulled pork with sweetpotato and a home made bbq-sauce

Fish cakes with a carrot salad

Pork chops with grilled veggies

Steak with cream of mushrooms (coconut cream that is  ;) )

Salmon with a salad

And we are eating out two days at friends houses

This is not the most exciting plan, but I have not been that great at trying new things with the whole39 myself  :unsure:

So happy to find this!  I started my second W30 (well, third really, but the second only lasted 5 days) on June 24th.  I did my first in April and had amazing success.  I was great during the reintroductions, but once Memorial Day weekend rolled around, the wheels fell off.  In 6 weeks I regained all but 1 of the 14.7 lbs I'd lost in April.  I was going to start on July 1st, but on Sunday night, June 23rd, after bingeing on Burger King and ice cream, I decided I couldn't wait.  I'm planning on continuing until August 12th, which is the first day of my vacation to the beach.

I don't have time to read the whole thread now, but I'm excited to!  I am blogging about this experience if you are interested (there's information on my first W30 too) www.fightingeveryday.blogspot.com

YES BadTeacher! Half way through!!!! You are so right about that!

I'm so excited and feeling really good about it. We can totally do this for another 15 days!

Michelle, I'm SO jealous that you get to be on a farm for the summer - how spectacular. Enjoy every second of it. I'm in LA and I get my share of nature but it doesn't compare. 

How's everyone else feeling??? Is anyone noticing changes. I know that I've dropped some pounds and I'd love to get on a scale but I will hold out. 

Rose welcome! 

Today I discovered a new salad that is just fantastic and with things that are in season. Its spring cabbage/pointed cabbage(?), fresh abricots and pumpkin seeds. You chop the cabbage up in thin strips. Take out the pits in the abricots and slice them up. And then fry the seeds on a pan without oil til they get slightly toasted and sprinkle them with salt. Put it all together - yum.

I had it with salmon and tomatoes (for that second vegetable ;-) ). 

Day 16 is half way through and no tiger blood although I could use it, as I am cleaning house :-/

That sounds delicious!

I'm having a rough day at work and for the first time in the duration of this process I'm craving a glass of wine. Goes to show how we have stress crutches. 

But i will not be having a glass of wine. It will be salmon instead. 

Hope you did good without the wine - and great time to find a better way to cope with stress.

Day 18 - tough day for me as I visited a good friend and she had looked up paleo recepies to make sure she made food that I could eat. Unfortunetly she had found af 2.0 site and made a few things not whole30. Fortunetly she forgot to use some of the ingrediense that I couldn't have and the rest I didn't eat. But felt bad as she had bought things that she normaly wouldn't buy.

It was nice to see a good friend though.

I fell a sleep with the window open last night and now I have a summer cold :-( Not sure about cold medicin...

Hope you are all doing well and look forward to your posts.

Day 18 - days are stacking up now, arent' they? I find that the last few nights I've had fitful sleeps - waking up several times through the night which is not my usual style. Maybe it's a phase. 

Summer colds are so annoying! I can't imagine that taking cold medication falls outside the whole 30 perimeter. Hope you're feeling better. 

I'm getting ready for a big bbq on sunday. Since I'm cooking there will be plenty of compliant foods but at the same time I have to make some crowd pleasers like mac'n'cheese and tiramisu. If I had thought about making those dishes and not eating them week one I would have been so bummed but now I'm like 'eeeeh'. No craving at all. 

Major progress. 

Uh that's at tough one - making non-compliant foods for others. I LOVE tiramisu. Had you not been whole30'ing I have some great paleo-friendly cakerecepies. But desserts are not whole30 and you don't want any - good going!!!

Me, I still have a cold and slept through lunch today. My head is so fluffy and if I blow my nose one more time it might fall of.

Other than skipping lunch (bad idear I know), I am happy with the whole30 but also looking forward to introducing chokolate again - hope I can handle it.

Day 20 - and I am on vacation  :)

Now is the hardest part as ice cream and non-compliant food lurks around every corner in the holiday landscape... 

But only 10 days to go - 2/3 through and I am not about to ruin it! I am gonna stay strong and healty even if it kills me  :D

Day 20 - and I am on vacation  :)

Now is the hardest part as ice cream and non-compliant food lurks around every corner in the holiday landscape... 

But only 10 days to go - 2/3 through and I am not about to ruin it! I am gonna stay strong and healty even if it kills me  :D

Good for you! We leave for vacation on day 33, so luckily it won't be as bad if I need to stray a little, but I won't be able to reintroduce properly, so I"ll be back for another Whole30 sometime this fall. I am planning on sticking as close to plan as possible afterward, but allowing a few off-road days here & there.

Day 21 - and I am struggling to keep compliant, as I feel like I'm missing out a bit on the family fun - on the other hand food and fun shouldn't be synonomus. 

But I was the only one who brought a packed lunch and had a hard time getting food for lunch. And we had to say no to eating at my cousins house, as I couldn't just order pizza or go to McDonalds. 

I keep saying to myself that nothing tastes as good at skinny and healthy feels, but I'm not feeling it as hard as I did before vacation. Then again one of my reasons for doing the whole30 during vacation was so I would stay paleo and NOT fall of the wagon. So it IS doing it's job.

So I did it one more day, and only 9 to go - soon it's just a week... I can do this... I have to do this!

Day 21 - and I am struggling to keep compliant, as I feel like I'm missing out a bit on the family fun - on the other hand food and fun shouldn't be synonomus. 

But I was the only one who brought a packed lunch and had a hard time getting food for lunch. And we had to say no to eating at my cousins house, as I couldn't just order pizza or go to McDonalds. 

I keep saying to myself that nothing tastes as good at skinny and healthy feels, but I'm not feeling it as hard as I did before vacation. Then again one of my reasons for doing the whole30 during vacation was so I would stay paleo and NOT fall of the wagon. So it IS doing it's job.

So I did it one more day, and only 9 to go - soon it's just a week... I can do this... I have to do this!

You are all doing so good!  Keep going!

I'm back at day 7, but things are better cause I'm getting the daily emails.  They keep me on track.  plus my sister is along for the ride this time. :) It helps to have a partner in crime.

Go karoach! You CAN do it - and I bet it helps to have your sister do it with you.

I am doing better today than yesturday when I almost felt like quitting. Today we had a quit day at the summerhouse. Went to the pool with the kids and had an after lunch nap - NICE!!!

Much more easy to stay "home" than eating out. 

Now dinner is on the table - danish fried meat balls (frikadeller) and two kinds of salad, one with spinach and one with carrot. 

Hope you are all staying strong despite challenges.

Btw no tiger blod here yet - where is it???

I can't believe we're so close!!! I gotta say, I feel fantastic. It's helping that I'm now starting to really feel and see a difference so thats motivation plenty to keep going. A friend who wasn't aware I was doing this asked if I had recently lost weight. Of course that made my day!

I'm also finding that I have more energy for my workouts. I still wake up through the night a bunch but I fall back asleep easily which is the main thing. 

Day 22 - a week to go after today!!!

karoach - i agree with you - those daily emails are really fantastic. they make a big difference. 

Day 23 - And I am so much looking forward to next week - and at the same time dreading it, cause I don't want to fall completly of the paleo-wagon and right now the whole30 is whats keeping me in line. Vacation is such a hard time to stay on track. I just don't want to put on weight this year.

My father said that he wished our vacation was longer and I told him to try the whole30 with me and those 14 days would feel like a year... cause sometimes I just feel like it's lasting forever. And still the last 3 weeks have gone by pretty fast.

Maybe I will get the mails next time I'm doing a whole30 - which might be in october.

The emails  are great, they seem to know exactly how you are feeling and how to stop you from doing bad things.  I'm still trucking a long, there is certainly no tiger blood back here on day 9.  LOL.  It's also really hot here right now, and humid so sleep is pretty much impossible, but evening swims at the beach are helping with that. 

You are all doing so well!  Do you plan to keep going or are you just going to stop at day 30?  I made it to 34 days last time.  Hoping to make it to 39 days, up to my birthday, then pop back on again until October, when I'll be going to France!

We're so close! I have to admit that I'm looking forward to being almost done....not so that I can go crazy, but so that I can have some paleo desserts! :) Since beginning the whole30, I have decided that I want to continue being grain and dairy free...even back at college. Anyone have any suggestions for that transition?

I plan to keep going and sticking to this regiment as closely as I can although I think socially after the 30 I will have a glass of wine here and there. I'm totally not craving sugar or carbs anymore so why mess up a good thing? I'm seeing results now and I'd like to see even more. No doubt I'll get on the scale and I've only dropped a couple of pounds but I'll take it. It all adds up in the end. 

I also realized that I can successfully live without all of these things so unless there is a very special event or meal that is being prepared for me I will continue on. 

I am heading to Atlanta to work in August for 6 weeks living out of hotel and I imagine sticking to all this will be super hard. We'll see. This is more of a way of life rather than just 30 day periods. I want to feel this good all the time. 

It does just seem to make sense as a way I life.  My husband mentioned cutting out a few things from his diet (fries for one) and it's really hard hard for me to explain benefits of low fat diet (there are none in my mind). He just doesn't get the whole 30 concept yet, but I'm going to start cooking meals that he can share (we do separate right now) and slowly convert him. HA!

Day 26 - and I am so sick af the whole30 and can't wait till it's over. I am really thinking if the last 4 days are worth it. I am on holiday and the whole30 is keeping us from doing different things, cause of my need for veggies, meat and fats that are compliant. 

Today we had guest sleeping over and I went and got "rundstykker", a danish traditional breakfast for weekends. It's bread rolls but with a hard crust like baguettes. You put butter, jam, nutella, thin chokolate slices, cheese or cold cuts on them. All non compliant, so while the others were eating the bread that smelled so good, I had at steake, salad and portobello mushrooms and it just didn't taste that great today.

I know I should be proud and happy, that I am doing this and not putting on weight while on vacation, but since the whole30 all I feel is, that I am missing out - I never felt that way, when I was "just" eating paleo. The difference is the plate template and that I have to have protein for breakfast - a lot of veggies for lunch - dinner is no problem - and I miss desserts or treats once in a while. My daughter wanted me to try her ice cream (we were at a show and they made ice cream with liquid nitrogen) and I had to say no. She looked like I had rejected her  :( Even though the ice cream would never be paleo, I didn't have a problem with taking a small bite or something for my kids when it was just paleo.

So day 30 is the last day for me for this time. I am not letting in grains, I might let in a small amount of dairy - depending om what my stomach says, and maybe a bit of high quality dark chokolate but otherwise keeping compaliant, but I am trowing away the plate template, 'cause it's killing my passion for paleo. 

So body-wise I am doing great - not craving things - but minde-wise I am not close the where I should be. I am just not feeling the whole30 and craving all sorts of things that all spell freedom to me  :(

Good that you all are doing so great  :D

@BadTeacher, I am sorry you're having such a rough time on vacation! I have a lot of the same feelings as you regarding paleo versus the whole30. In the end, food isn't everything. I don't want to feel like food is controlling my life, which is why I will be going paleo after the whole30. Be gone, whole30, be gone! haha  :)

Archived