Ready to get started 6/24/13

Jennifer Lagania

I don't think I"m clear on the difference between whole 30 and paleo? I need to look that up because it seems you area all leaning towards it. Is it drastic? BadTeacher I'm so sorry you are finding it so rough. I feel guilty compared to what you're going through because I'm feeling pretty lucky and to be honest I"m not missing anything. I think I can really stick with this way of eating minus having an occasional glass of wine. Would I like to have a piece of bread and butter - absolutely but I don't want it more than the feeling I have right now of health and weight loss. I'm dying to know if I"m just imagining my weight loss or if indeed I've dropped pounds. Thursday can't come soon enough for that scale!

I've basically just stopped thinking about food as much as I used to. I make the decision each meal and with the restrictions it's a pretty easy choice. I weirdly like that. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I"m clear on the difference between whole 30 and paleo? I need to look that up because it seems you area all leaning towards it. Is it drastic? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whole30 is one of the strictest forms of Paleo eating you will find.

If you read The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain (one of the major thought-leaders in Paleo) you'll find more options that he finds acceptable (like drinking wine once in a while). Some other Paleo diets consider honey and Paleoifying desserts/sweets/pancakes ok too. 

Since beginning the whole30, I have decided that I want to continue being grain and dairy free...even back at college. Anyone have any suggestions for that transition?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you feel is going to be easiest for you and what do you feel will present you with the biggest challenges?

Are you cooking your food most times or are you on a meal plan?  

Planning to succeed is a big part of continuing to eat this way. If you cook your own food, don't buy the stuff you want to avoid.  If food is prepared for you, learn to ask the right questions for how things were prepared (e.g., was something sauteed in butter, is it coated in anything (gluten)), watch out for sauces, soups and dressings which are prime candidates for gluten.

luckyyou - I already felt good and maybe I already had my tiger blood AND I definently allready was loosing weight fast when I started paleo, so the whole30 was just a set of rules that for me started to controlle way to much of my food.

Paleo for me was - with all its restraints - a really easy way to live, as it took away all those choises and thoughts I had about food before - "do I eat this cake or not?" (with paleo it's NOT), "will I put on weight if I eat this?" (not if it's paleo-friendly). There are whole sections of the supermarket I don't have to go to, so I don't need to wonder if I should get Snickers or Mars - I shouldn't get ANY candy. So in a way I understand why you find it easy if you haven't lived paleo before. 

Well I survived one more day and I have decidet to keep on going, so I can say that I did it. But then I don't want food to control my life any more - I totally get what michelleragusa is saying. I am going back to paleo - which isn't that much different, but as I said before the plate template is just cramping my style.

Day 27 is comming to an end and I am going to bed thinking about how I am going to survive the breakfast/ early brunch I am having tomorrow with my family.

3 days and counting - BadTeacher signing out for today

Day 29 - So today I am going to greet the queen of Denmark together with hundreds/maybe thousands of other people. She is moving into her summer-castle, which is in the town I am vacationing in - yes I vacation in the same town as the royals (no, it's not special or an expencive town or anything). 

Foodwise I don't know what today is going to bring, but I am having eggs for breakfast - now it's just deciding if it's going to be scrambled, sunny side up or maybe soft boiled. What are your favorite eggs?

Anybody else planing what to eat on day 31? Me I am having meatza (YUM!), and a piece of paleo-friendly banana bread for dinner. For lunch I am thinking a paleo onion tart(?) and breakfast a scramble and a fruit salad with nuts. Yes I am going wild and crazy :-D (all compliant ingrediense, but paleofying, dessert, and no veggies for breakfast - so naughty!)

What are your plans after day 31?

I think I"m sticking with whole 30 on day 31 and the only thing I'm going to have that night is a glass of wine as I'll be out to dinner with friends. I don't have any plans to introduce gluten or sugar till Sunday as it's when I'm cooking a traditional dish that has both and since I'm preparing it for friends I will have some. 

And then I hope to continue as is with occasional treats which either I have to make from scratch or someone has made specifically for me. I want to really make those sugary/floury things the exception rather than the rule. I have a lot of weight to lose still so this is not the end of the road for me. 

I am looking forward to getting on the scale. I'll be happy to have it  confirmed I've lost a couple of pounds. 

I like my eggs fried over medium. A fan of boiled eggs too. I'm getting  a bit sick of them being scrambled so I think I'm going to take a break from that. 

I went to work out today for the first time in a 14 days - and it's the hottest day of the year (yet)  B) Maybe it's the tiger blood? I don't know, BUT I did surprice myself how good I did. Sweat dripping and all.

One day to go.

Waiting for my last whole30 meal and tomorrow I am looking forward to going back to just paleo :-D

Have a good last day all of you and I'll see you on the other side ;-)

Anybody else fearing an upset tummy, when you start to take in some of the olde stuff? I am really afraid that my body wount like chokolate or full fat cream or sour cream.

Or even that I will be crazy hungry and have to go back to the meal template that I hate so much.

My last meal is steake, selleri and beetroot ovenfries (nothing to do with fries, but the best way to describe it), paprika pesto and squash on the grill. A side of strawberries. YUM!

What was your last whole30 meal?

Is this it?  CONGRATULATIONS for all you day 30ers!! So proud.  :) :)

Day 15 for this girl, I'm super busy in life right now, finding it hard to not call for pizza delivery but I'm not doing it.

I've got  my mom coming to my house tonight (I'm so lucky) to help me out with some work( I have a full time job and a home based business), so that I can prep my foods for the next few days and get my orders out. 

Again so proud of you all!

Day 30 is here!!!!! I can't believe it's here already -- it seems to have flown by. Unfortunately, my last official Whole30 meal will likely not be very exciting, as we have a busy evening planned. So likely burgers with guacamole and a vegetable I haven't picked yet (roasted cauliflower if I can find the time).

As for after, I'm going to stick with it for another 2 days and then we go on vacation. I feel so good I don't want to screw things up, so I'm going to try to do the best I can while I travel, but I probably will allow myself a treat here or there. I may also not have a ton of choice when we're visiting Yellowstone. The rest of the trip, we're staying with our friends, but there we won't have access to much in the way of cooking or refrigeration.

Once we return, I am planning to stick with it, but with a couple off-roads allowed per week. Then, I'll probably do another one later this year (right now, I'm thinking October) so that I can reintroduce properly.

Weightloss: 4,3 kg (roughly 9 lb 7,5 oz)

That is about the same as when I eat paleo, so not bad, but not impressive. The impressive part is, that I have been on vacation for 11 days and lost weight instead of gaining weight as I have had NO slips.

Now it's om to reintroducing things - first thing to introduce: Dark chokolate 86%

Not bad??? Seriously, thats an incredible amount of weight! 30 days ago you carried that around all day every day!!

Congratulations!!! AND you did it while on vacation. Very, very impressive. 

I'm on my last day and will throw a bit of a party if I have the same weight loss. 

I'm also sticking with it until the weekend when I'm throwing a little get together with friends. 

Can't believe it's finally here! Great work everyone. 

I have lost 16 kg (about 35 lb 4 oz) since april 2nd, so the whole30 is about avarage weight loss for me on paleo. But it is pretty good as weight loss goes  ;)

I am about 1/3 of the way for my weight loss goal, so I am working hard to make it go as fast as possible in a safe an healthy way. Next year on my 35th birthday my goal is to have a normal BMI.

So in october I think I will be doing another whole30 just to stay in tune with the paleo program  :)

Maybe I'll be seeing Jennifer here again  :D

Cant wait to hear if you've all had some good results from your whole30 :)

I lost 8 pounds!

I'm happy with this even though I've read about so many who have lost twice as much. I think I had talked myself into expecting/wanting double digits but I will take it. 8 less pounds to carry around. 8 pounds closer to the goal. My body at this point likes to hold on to the weight so it'll be a long road to losing the remaining 15 pounds I have left to discard. 

I will definitely stick with this way of eating the majority of the time. Nice to have achievable parameters. 

BadTeacher, kudos for such a dramatic weight loss since April, thats fantastic and inspiring and michelle 5 pounds is nothing to sniff at!!

A pat on the back to all - we did it!!

There you go! 8 lb is not bad at all! And important to remember that results not only have to do with what you eat now, but also what you ate before AND how close you are to your goal weight - not everybode gets to go dubble didgets. And most people would be very happy with an 8-lb-weight loss.

So congratulations  :D

Archived