Skin issues... I've about had it!

In the first week, I broke out on my nose and chin (I never have pimples). By the end of that week I had rashes in the corner of my moth that looked like fever blisters (which is how I treated it for a few days, but it cleared up when I stopped). And I usually would heal super fast, but where these spots were - and pimples under my nose - there were blood blister looking scars that took a week to heal. And a few days ago, a red itchy welt has developed where my wedding rings are worn. And this morning there is a raised rash-like line on my cheek. I've had it!

I had already moved to coconut oil before the Whole30... Nothing new, only restrictions.

I also just weighed myself to try and find some encouragement to push thru and no change in 2 weeks. Beyond frustrated.

I survived that night without giving up and made it thru yesterday as well.

I know why I am doing this:

(1) I have a broken relationship with food... i am a passionnate foodie/cook/eater who eats for joy and pleasure (love side) and I am a compulsive and binge/purge eater to calm a consuming food and body image anxiety (hate side)... The anxiety which peaks in the binge/purge is crazy-making and has to stop forever. Now.

(2) I have rapid weight loss and rapid weight gain cycles every year or so of 20-40 lbs - between a size 8 to a 14. The swings in self-worth are also exhausting... Not to mention the stupid expensive cycle of replacing bigger clothes I gleefully donate each time "I did it!" And lose the weight again. This Oprah-style yo-yo is also crazy-making and has to stop. We want to start a family and I will not live this example for a daughter. I need to fix this now.

(3) I lost a pregnancy in Dec (my first) and don't believe I am ovulating (3 months of observed data)... And am terrified of infertility. I want to use food to make my body as healthy an environment for pregnancy as possible.

So, I am here for my mental health (related to food), to develop a healthy relationship with food, and to become healthier physically. In order to do that, I know I must pull a 180 in my attitude and behavior towards food... i need to learn to eat nourishing food because I love my body and want to be well instead of seeing eating healthy as depriving myself of joyful food because I hate my body.

Yes - I need weight loss to occur in order to quiet my mind and feel whole - but no super skinny goal... i look and feel like "me" at 163-168... just inside the CDC's "normal" weight range for 5'10". Which I weighed at my wedding in Sept 2012! I was 212 at the start of this challenge. So no progress on that front in combo with an unreasonable level of skin issues - really punched my motivation in the throat Friday night. But the reasons above are why I made it thru. I haven't binged or had the purge impulse since I began. The loud bar in my head is quieter than it has been in years. Those two pieves of progress are incredible beyond expression.

So, I will stick to this and just pray a healthy weight follows. I may even push to a Whole60.

PS: The welt on my ring finger turned out to be ring worm... AYFKM? And no... The irony is not lost on me. :) I'm just treating it and carrying on. But I do feel all of these skin issues point to an immune weakening versus an allergy/histamine response.

hmmm.... I've developed adult acne (not because of Whole30) and I'm almost entirely convinced it is related to hormones (for a number of reasons I won't elaborate here). I know that Whole30, being a significant shift in eating for most of us, does have an impact on your hormones. If your hormones are kicking in/trying to get back to a healthy range - then perhaps your skin flare ups are a result of this process. Obviously "kicking in" is far from a scientific explanation - I'm not pretending to be a doctor here. Just an observation I've had, so I thought I'd share my experience...

Stick with it - don't worry about your weight. I'm glad you've reminded yourself of your reasons for doing this. :)

CarrieMac, 

This program really did help me change my relationship with food.  I am pretty much what you say you are, except I'm past my child bearing years and somehow I've managed to keep my weight stable within a few pounds over the years (and I'm short; jealous of your height!).  Still, the restrictions and crazy methods of burning calories/avoiding food stresses me and my relationships to the breaking point.

I am closing in on 2 months here, and I've noticed a monumental change in what my body craves as food and my behavior in the kitchen and out.  When I cook, I no longer yearn to lick to bowl or sample excessively (if at all).  When I was starving yesterday after work, I wanted a PEAR and not a sugary processed carb.  Constant snacking isn't appealing to me these days and I seem to be able to stop myself from binge eating most of the time (I have a 2 week mark that gets me each time but each time I binge less).

Sugar cravings are gone.  Zippo.  I still smile when I see a piece of carrot cake, but I do not physically respond to it like I did before and I do not feel deprived.  It is pretty cool.

As far as ovulating goes, I had an interesting experience last year when I went Paleo.  I am perimenopausal and wasn't getting my periods regularly all of the sudden.  When I went Paleo, my periods came like clockwork again.  Now, that didn't happen with the Whole30, but perhaps Mother Nature has just decided now is my time (I'm 48).  I do believe you can help your fertility along by changing your eating habits so I expect you to see some results.

I wish you the best.  I completely understand who you are and I know how painful it can be!  Make sure you incorporate some type of exercise/movement into your life if you have not already.  Not the crazy calorie burning cardio, but weight bearing active fun enjoyable movement.

~Pam

Thank you both so much for your thoughts...

Pam - I was a pretty serious athlete in high school and as an adult I use exercise as part of the weight loss obsess cycle. I don't know how to do it just to do it. So I adding yoga this week. Pretty intimidated, but I think it fits my overall strategy of trying to stop that maniacal pendulum and fid a new way that i cam live with forever. prpbably ahould name this Operation Calm-The-Hell-Down. :)

And that really means that anything I have to white knuckle my way thru is not the way for me! Skin issues aside... That is some pretty serious white knuckling.

Thank you!

CarrieMac - 

I know you said you've not added anything new, but have you significantly increased your consumption of any foods in particular? Nuts, or eggs, for example?  Sometimes our sensitivities are dose-dependent.  Also, have you considered seeing a dermatologist?

I started my second Whole30 yesterday due in part to frustrations with acne (although primarily to kick the food obsession). I've stuck to 99% Paleo eating for two years now due to acne. I still had breakouts on occasion, but skin-based reactions can be extra tough to pinpoint since it takes 2-3 days to see a blemish, thus testing is slow and time-consuming, and any meal out gives a huge chance of contamination and screwing up my experiment. 

I do think I can relate acne to nuts, though I am not sure which one(s) just yet. I know that almonds & cashews are fine, but I have my suspicions on walnuts, Brazil nuts, and hazelnuts, as I broke out after eating mixed nuts containing those five. I suspect a high dose of cashews may also be a problem.

Basically exactly what Robin said.

And for what it's worth, my dermatologist visit amounted being told I just have to figure it out for myself by testing. Zero value.

Archived