Fluids at Meals

What is the advice regarding drinking fluids at meals? I've read that you shouldn't drink during your meals, is that correct? And if not during the meal, then how long after? I've been having lots of tummy distress and am wondering if that's part of it (drinking water at meals), but also am wondering about tea and then when is the best time to hydrate after eating.

I usually drink 22 oz. of water on my way to work in the morning, to get my water intake started off right. I typically don't eat until I get to work, just because of the way my schedule runs.

Thanks!

I'll be interested to read other responses. I drink fluids both at and between meals. Happy tummy and happy BMs.

During breakfast, I have my decaf coffee with ghee and coconut  oil. If I feel dehydrated, I'll also have sparkling water (my overall drink of choice).

During workouts, I'll have still water.

At my other two meals, I'll have sparkling water, and in between meals I'll have either tea or sparkling water.

• Moderators

I have heard that drinking during meals can dilute stomach acid and make digestion less efficient. I am not sure if this is an issue for people who do not have a problem with low stomach acid or digestion. Nonetheless, my own practice is to wait until I am finished eating to drink anything, unless I need a drink because my food is too spicy or I need a swallow to wash things down. I don't wait any length of time afterwards; I eat my last fork-full of food and then drink my water or kombucha immediately. I probably could not have done this years ago, but over the past few years I have adopted another drinking habit. I drink two big glasses of water to start my day when I get up and often sip a third big glass at my desk before eating breakfast. I then drink another big glass after breakfast and then go back to my desk with a cup of tea. So I usually have had four big glasses of water by 9 AM. I suspect that starting my day well-hydrated makes helps me to comfortably eat an entire meal before I need to take a drink of water.

In reviewing ISWF, I found one place they call out drinking, in the "Fine Tuning for Special Populations" chapter.  For the folks with IBS and IBD, it says exactly what Tom said: "Drink plenty of water throughout the day, but not with your meal, as it can inhibit proper digestion by diluting stomach acid and digestive enzymes."

Since I don't have IBS or IBD, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.

Cheers,

• 1 year later...

Chris thank you for the link. I too don't have any specific issues so I suspect there are no issues drinking during meals. I have adopted Tom's approach to a degree where by I drink as little as possible during meals. However if I really want a drink I will take some water on board. I try and aim for no drinking until the end, however I know that it's not an issue if I do.

Archived