Portion Size / Number of Meals for Bigger Guy

Cappy

Hi everyone - 

I am starting the Whole30 challenge next week once I get back from a vacation. I've been eating a Paleo diet and working out at a Crossfit gym since February. I've lost 20 pounds in 4 months and noticed tremendous improvements in my overall health. I recently came across the Whole9 site, and I realized that - while I'm eating pretty well - there are more opportunities for me to improve. I'm super excited to get started next week.

I guess my question is how to adjust portion size based on someone's size/appetite. I'm 6'1", 205 lbs and in athletic condition. I work out quite a bit (Crossfit workouts 5 days a week). Will the 3 meals per day (plus the pre/post workout meals on workout days) be enough? I will have to eat more than someone who is much smaller or less active than me. Should I increase my portion size or should I increase the number of meals to 4 plus a pre/post workout meal? I only ask because I eat 3 meals now, but I feel like I am always hungry and constantly snacking.

Thanks for the help!

I'm sure a moderator will chime in at some point but my advice would be to start by eating at the upper end of the meal template and 3 meals with Pre/Post WO and see how you feel. Remember that the way the meal template is worded you will already be getting more than a smaller person because your palms and thumbs are bigger than a smaller persons. Even at 5'4" I can hold 4 eggs in my hand but I've read that Dallas can hold 6 or more. Adding a 4th compliant meal is certainly ok but if you can feel satisfied with 3 that is ideal for digestion as it gives your body more time to rest between feedings. 

Congrats on your success so far and good luck with your Whole30!

• Moderators

By following the meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - you would eat 5 meals per day on the days you are working out. That should help keep you satisfied. And as Physibeth said, you will naturally eat bigger meals than a small person based upon your size. You also may double the protein portions and add a little more fat as needed. Personally, I needed to eat 4, 5, and sometimes 6 meals per day when I first adopted this diet. But over time, I learned to eat bigger, better composed meals and I got to where 3 meals per day satisfy me most of the time.

Archived