Whole chicken recipes

LindaLee

I got three whole chickens from our local farmer! They're in e freezer now and I'm trying to figure out how best to prepare them. I thought one would be good for Well Fed's Best Chicken Ever...but am looking for ideas for the other two. Nothing super spicy, though I do love paprika!,

Linda, I love to cut the backbone out and lay the chicken flat on a baking dish.  Coat it well with olive oil, salt, and pepper and any seasonings you like.  Paprika is great, fresh herbs, garlic, lemon etc.  Heat the oven to 450, when you are ready to put the chicken in drop heat to 425 and cook for an hour basting a few times, I do 20 min, 40 min, 50 min.  It is done when the legs move freeley and seem like they will fall off, and the juices run clear.  The skin is so crispy and the meat is so tender!  I make this once a week, then use the bones for chicken bone broth in the slow cooker.

Linda be sure to save that backbone for stock. I have 2 freezer bags going. One for bones and one for carrot, onion and celery scraps for stock.

Nom Noms green chicken is one of my favorites. If you arent up to cutting your chicken completely up, you could just do it the way Lizz described and grill or bake it. The green sauce is sooo good.

I'm lazy so I always just throw my whole chickens in the crockpot with whatever spices/seasonings sound good and cook it on low for 8-10 hours. Chicken comes out perfect every time. I pick it all apart and freeze the meat in 5 oz or so servings and then the bones and drippings and skin goes back in to make broth. Easy peasy.

I've never made a whole crockpot chicken.  I ought to give it a try!

I just had a thought for a whole chicken (normally I am very conventional and roast them whole, saving bones and drippings for broth).  My mum makes beautiful chicken rice by boiling a whole chicken with onion, carrots and tomatoes with salt for seasoning, and then uses the stock from the chicken to cook rice.  You could totally substitute in cauli rice and splash a bit of stock in there for flavour.  She makes a kind of sauce (more like a dressing really) with lemon juice, grated ginger, water, salt and sugar.  Then you get a nice bowl of , chicken, chickeny rice and carrots with lots of the sauce.  I usually cook up some bok choy as well because I feel guilty if there's no green.

I think I'll have to try this (minus the sugar in the sauce) and report back.

Just realised I keep saying stock.

I do a bit of a dry-brine (apply salt liberally and then refrigirate for an hour or so) and then dust & dry off (although you still want a bit of salt on the skin) and roast with a whole lemon in the cavity for about 1 1/2 hours at 190C (375F). I now always lift the skin off the breast and ease a bit of salt between the meat and skin. Breast side down for probably half the time (helps keep it moist) and then turn the bird over for the rest of the time. 

Essential step: after dinner, once you've got all the meat off the chook, use the bones to make chicken stock. 

Archived