A little background:  I started my Whole30 13 days ago to help with symptoms of my IBS, but felt I had to make a few changes to meet my personal needs.  I thought these alterations were minor, as I followed recommendations from the book, but now I'm not so sure ...

I had a brief discussion with a couple members in the "Whole30 with medical conditions" forum (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11207-ibs-friendly-breakfast/) about consuming a pure, clean whey protein isolate - just like the one recommended by the Hartwig's in their book - during my Whole30.  I am eating it for breakfast, as I have IBS and don't stomach eggs at all really, as well I have a lot of trouble eating meat in the morning - I just get nauseous?!  Thus, I was having a really hard time finding breakfast options that included protein, fat, and vegies - so I have been making a vegie-based smoothie (I know their not recommended either, but I really do find them filling especially when I drink a cup of tea right after) with the clean, pure whey isolate and coconut milk.  However, I didn't sleep at all last night because I wondering/panicing if I am having these smoothies, I am truly on a Whole30?  Or do I have to start over to reap the benefits?  My stomach has been doing much better, in fact my only complaint is I have been backed-up for the past two days.  So if I am feeling better, do I still have to crack-down?  How bad are the potenially negative effects of a clean, pure whey protein powder? 

Kayla- First, deep breath. Sometimes it takes a while to understand all the ins and outs of the program. It's ok. You have a whole life ahead of you and 13 days of drinking smoothies with whey protein is no big deal in that context.

That said, you say you want to do a whole30, and, the whole30 rules eliminate whey protein and discourage smoothies. (I don't remember anywhere in the book that whey protein isolate is recommended, but if it was, it was specifically for post-whole30 or vegetarian whole30, not during the regular whole30 plan).

Here's what I would do: continue on with your whole30, eliminating whey protein and limiting or eliminating smoothies for the remainder. Once your 30 days are up, I would either continue the whole30 for another 14 days or, I would delay reintroduction of dairy alone by that amount of time, to give my system a full 30 days dairy-free.

Give the program a chance to work AS WRITTEN. Once all of that is done, you get to decide if whey protein smoothies are part of your life moving forward--eliminating them (for now), then reintroducing them is the simplest way to find out how they effect you.

Thank you.  Your encouragement and positive tone truly ease my anxiety!  I think that is an excellent recommendation, and I will start tomorrow! It will be tough, but worth it.  Thanks again :) 

Don't assume that breakfast has to be eggs! Go look in food logs - there are tons of people eating chicken thighs and broccoli for breakfast, or leftover curry, steak, etc. Seriously - it's just another meal. 

If you can stomach tons of veggies in your smoothie, perhaps a big salad with some chicken, fish, turkey, beef, etc.? If you want you can add a little bit of fruit to it, and an oil/vinegar combo for dressing. Breakfast salad can be delicious. As can sweet potato hash with sausage and apple. Not the best for getting a variety of veggies, but I work full time and, at the time, was a geographical bachelorette. It's hard to eat tons of food yourself when you're used to your black hole of a husband being around...

Archived