Hi. I'm new here. I've been eating paleo for almost 2 years now and did the whole30 a few times. I felt great.

At the end of march I gave birth to spontaneous fraternal twins. I am exclusively breast feeding them. I also have a 3.5 year old daughter. Between the 3 kidos I get very little sleep. I think since March I only got 4h of uninterrupted sleep twice. Because of the lack of sleep I'm starting to crave carbs and sweets to keep myself up and going during the day. I don't want to fall down that "slippery slope" again. But at the same time I don't know what to do. Just eating good quality meat, eggs vegetables and fruit just doesn't cut it for me any more - not until I manage to get the twins on a schedule and get some sleep (which is easier said than done). What should I do?

First, I would cut yourself a lot of slack!!  Three kids under 4, and 2 breastfeeding, is a huge deal, and physical and emotional exhaustion is real.  

Second, are you sure that you are getting the nutrition you need?  Are you are getting enough starchy vegetables, and protein, and fat?    I know you said they don't cut it anymore, but perhaps your body is still hungry and not just craving?

Third, are you thirsty?  I was a camel when I was nursing, and I only had one.  I imagine two is more than twice as bad, because really how much water can one stomach hold??

Fourth, are you sure you are snatching every opportunity for a nap?  I did not with my first, because I was so desperate to feel like myself and not just a milk machine, so I wanted to read or do something that reminded me I had a brain whenever my son slept.  By the time I had my daughter, I realized that her naps should be my naps, and my brain would take care of itself better that way, too....

All that said, I never tried to BF on paleo, and I don't have twins, so I truly don't know what you are facing.

And I don't know that anyone else would say this here (people tend to be pretty W30-strict on the forums), but it does seem to me that breast-feeding twins is a time to make your life as easy as possible, and if that means some Paleo treats, or even more Paleo treats, depending on how strict you are with yourself, perhaps that's the way to go.  I would imagine you don't need the conflict/doubt/internal war over what to eat -- you've got enough going on already!  Since you have been paleo for so long, probably diving into the Krispy Kremes would make you feel horrible all over, but perhaps you can give yourself the license to say that as long as you are exclusively BFing, you get to NEED TO do things that you would not do otherwise.*

I hope other mamas will weigh in on this one!

* one last thought...if you have any suspicion that you have a bad case of baby blues, please talk to someone.  I had what I now believe was PPD with my first kid, albeit a very mild one.  It was awful and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Thanks. No baby blue this time-I had them with my first daughter so I know I have something to be thankful this time around.

I'm eating quite a bit of fat (I became a coconut addict LOL). I guess I can eat more starchy vegetables - lately due to lack of time I just ate vegetables that can be eaten raw.

I feel like I eat to keep my self awake, not just when I'm hungry. It's so frustrating. My "fix" for lack of energy has been smoothie with coconut milk, coconut oil, almond butter and banana or even worse, rice mixed with coconut milk and some honey. I miss whole30- I feel a lot better when I eat that way

Laura, I have seen on several other threads where Melissa has recommended sipping on a can of coconut milk through the day. It not only helps with your milk supply, but helps keep you energized. I am EBF my 3-month old daughter... I haven't done the coconut milk (unless you count sipping on it when its mixed in with my coffee :ph34r: ) but I will throw a mini-meal in sometimes, depending on the day.  I'm not shy about making my meals large either.  Between EBF and training for a marathon (which is most likely not quite as strenuous as EBF twins and chasing a toddler all day - I chase my 3yo son all day long too as well as EBF my daughter), I make sure I get the full 2 palms of protein (sometimes more), 2 servings of fat (or at least 2 different fat sources), and a boatload of vegetables (seriously, I can saute a full 16oz bag of brussel sprouts or broccoli/cauliflower and eat the whole thing). 

Definitely try more starchy veggies with meal 1 and/or 2 each day and see where that leads you (and journal all your food intake with how you're feeling as well!).  To save time, you can cube up a few sweet potatoes (1/2" cubes), toss them in melted coconut oil and whatever seasonings you like, and then roast them in the oven at 400 or 425 for approx 30 minutes, stirring once in the middle. Then whenever you want your starchy veggies with a meal, just grab a 1/2 or 2/3 cup and heat them up (I have also found that these cubed, roasted sweet potatoes are also good chilled --- it makes a good post-WO option when I'm short on time since I can have them without needing to heat them up).

And maybe try doing another W30?  If you feel better when you eat that way, then who's to say you shouldn't do it?  I did a Whole40 for my first round (I finished 3 days ago) while EBF, dropped 2% body fat, started marathon training, and didn't have any milk supply issues.  Best of luck to you!!  I hope you can start getting some rest soon, or at least feel more energized.

Wow Bethany. Whole30, breast feeding, marathon training.... You're the bomb :)

I will try your sweet potatoes idea although in the past I had leftovers roasted sweet potatoes and wasnt too crazy about them the next day. But I have to try something- maybe it will help me stop eating just to keep myself awake through out the day. I can tell I've been gaining weight. Grrrrr

Thanks Lady, but I really don't think that compares much to chasing a toddler plus infant twins! Eating like this (W30) is difficult enough having one toddler and one infant. You are doing great just by doing what you're doing now.

If you're craving the sweet stuff, here are a couple suggestions:

1. Pan-fry sliced banana in coconut oil until the slices get seared on each side, with cinnamon, paprika & a touch of salt; maybe some chipotle pepper powder if you like a little kick. Dump the banana all on top of a steamed/baked sweet potato. Seriously. Super yummy!!

2. You've probably heard this one before, but it'll be my go-to on nights when hubs & son want ice cream at home... Coconut milk over fruit, either thawed from frozen or fresh. I love it over berry mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Or strawberries & pineapple.

And no matter what, always remember to take everything one day at a time... Sometimes even one hour at a time on those really tough days. There's a running coach & author who says "eat the elephant one bite at a time"... Meaning, don't focus on the whole elephant (or the whole 30 days, whole week ahead, etc)... Just get yourself through one bite/one day/one hour at a time. :)

Hey there

I'm Nursing my4th (all are under 6) and this is day 26 for me. He is 7 weeks old. I had 4-5 misfires starting up my W30 just after birth because I was, like you, eating to stay awake. Bad habit of mine, have done it for years. I *thought* I was sling ok since I was using fruit to help me... But being a slave to sweetness, I quickly realized I was very wrong. Bananas a were my go-to during pregnancy and they worked, for that reason, like a charm. But I knew I had to make a lasting change if I wanted to move forward with my goals.

So, I limit fruit & follow W30 rules. Mind you, no twins, but when at least 2 of my kids wake up in the night crying, and at least 3 wake up with the flipping birds no matter their bedtime or tiredness levels, I'm generally just plain tired. That said, this week alone I've been jumping out of bed before 6 ready to start day, and NO NAPS REQUIRED. I mean, I'd love to but I try and nope, just can't fall asleep. Too... Energetic.

I have low milk supply, always have. Much consultation with medical pros, problem is my wiring. Regardless, i am producing more milk for this child than any before. I don't sip on coconut milk. I eat pumpkin post-wkt, or sweet potato if I've made it. I will also eat some starchy veg with a meal if feeling like I need a boost. I do eat the larger portion of fat at meals, however. I'm not dropping clothes sizes as fast as I'd like to but I am shrinking steadily. Moods WAY more stabile to boot.

Some days I get caught with my pants down, and no prepared proteins. But it's getting easier and easier to ,figure the food prep execution out as the days fly by. (Planning is easy, execution can be the kicker).

I' ve also resumed my workouts a few weeks ago, which is helping with stabilizing and promoting energy & moods.

Hang in there and keep your spirits up. You WILL find what works best for YOU

If you like sweet potatoes okay (or just want to have more sweet/starchy veggies), sweet potato mash is EASY and great for hiding fat in. I bake a couple of the potatoes at a time (slice in half hot dog style) at 400F until they start 'juicing' as I call it. Turn the oven off and let them sit until almost room temperature and the skins will peel off as soon as you pick them up (seriously!). I mix in cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and coconut milk, ghee, coconut oil, or whatever you prefer. If you think it's too sweet, garlic/garlic salt/salt can cut that down so you can appreciate the flavors. 

I love them, and I think I might have to make some soon...

Archived