Cappy's Whole30 Log - Starting 6/24

Cappy

Hey everyone - I'm starting my first Whole30 pass next Monday and am very excited to do so. Just to give a little background about myself - I started eating a paleo diet in February. I joined a Crossfit gym back then to get into better shape for my wedding in September. It was then that I started reading a lot more about the paleo diet, so I thought I would give it a try. I immediately saw great results that I have sustained over the course of the last 4 months. While maintaining a 4x per week Crossfit schedule and eating paleo about 95% of the time, I dropped from 225 lbs to around 205-208 lbs. I'm very happy with where I am - my fiance is also happy with how I look. :)

I came across the Whole9 site recently and read more about the Whole30 program. I have realized that while I am eating good compared to how I was in January/February, I can improve in the following specific areas:

- I snack way too much - especially at night. This is probably a result of not eating enough in my 3 meals, but I tend to munch on almonds, almond butter, fruit, etc. throughout the day. I feel like I am eating a ton during my meals, but maybe I need to eat more.

- I don't eat the best quality food all the time. I have been eating a lot of bacon and chicken sausages for breakfast, non-grass fed or pasturized meats, etc.

- I've been eating too much fruit. I tend to have 3-5 servings of fruit per day.

- I've also been eating too many nuts. This is related to the snacking, but I tend to munch on almonds throughout the day. I also am slightly obsessed with almond butter - I open a jar and the next thing I know, it's 1/2-way gone. :)

- I eat a lot of "paleo" desserts. My fiance loves ice cream and sweets. When I started eating paleo, she started making me paleo cookies, ice cream, and many other desserts. While delicious, they are not Whole30 compliant.

- I've cut back big time, but I still drink from time to time with friends. I have switched to mostly gluten free beer and wine and cut back to drinking 1x tops per week.

Reading about the Whole30 makes total sense. While I made great improvements in the last 4 months, I feel like I've plateaued a little bit. So when I get back from a vacation next weekend, I will start it up and post my meals/workouts here. As I go through and add any meals, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I was really excited to get started this week. I thought about it all weekend long. I was on a mini-vacation with my fiancé and we had a wedding party to attend, so I would have had a hard time starting last weekend. Anyways, I did all my food shopping when I got home on Sunday and weighed myself one time before I started: 208.9 lbs.

Day 1 went really well. Here are my meals for the day:

Breakfast (7:30 am) – Egg & Kale Quiche (From the guide) – 5 eggs, ½ bunch kale, 3 mushrooms, ¼ red onion, 1 tbsp coconut oil, coffee

Mid-Morning (10:00 am) – 2nd cup of coffee

Lunch (1:30 pm) – Chicken Fajitas (From the guide) – 8 oz. chicken breast, ¼ red, orange, and yellow peppers, ½ mango, ¼ head of lettuce, 1 avocado

Pre-WO (5:30 pm) – 2 hard boiled eggs, ½ avocado

Post-WO (7:30 pm) – 8 oz. chicken breast, 1 sweet potato

Dinner (8:45 pm) – Chili (From a post by GLC1968)– 8 oz. grass-fed ground beef (85/15), 1/4 can crushed tomatoes, ¼ onion, ¼ orange pepper, 1 tsp coconut oil, 1 avocado

I had a great workout at 6:30. I had a ton of energy, and finished 1st in my class in our WOD. I ended up getting to sleep last night around 11:45 pm and woke up at 7:30 am for a nice 7+ hours of sleep.  So all together, it was a great day.

I do have a few thoughts on my first day:

1.     I thought I would have a difficult time adjusting to only having 3 meals a day. We'll see if that'll be the case on Wednesday when I don't work out, but I was stuffed after my meals. I felt like I ate a ton today, so I think this amount is pretty good for now.

2.     I'm a little concerned about eating so much close to bed, but I can't make it to one of the earlier Crossfit classes. With the post workout meal included, I'm going to have to eat close to 9 pm, which will be about 2 1/2-3 hours before bedtime. I was still a little full at bedtime last night.

3.     The chili recipe was amazing. I make chili all the time, and this had such a rich flavor. My fiancé and I were raving.

I'm excited for Day 2 today!

Day 2 was exactly the same as the first day - meals and all. I tend to make larger meals and then heat them up the next day, so I have a lot of repeat days. But anyways, I had a great day 2. The only difference was that I had a 6 oz. can of tuna instead of 8 oz. of chicken following my workout yesterday. 

Day 3 (today) will be my first challenging day for a couple reasons. First, I don't have a workout today. I have gotten pretty hungry by 5ish the past two days, but that was eased by my WO meals. However, today is a day off. I'm going to try to push my lunch back to about 2:00 pm to help me last until a 7:30ish dinner, but I'm concerned about being hungry. Second, I'm going to a baseball game tonight right from work. There are no good options at the game, so I made some food last night to take with me to the game. I should be ok with that, but it adds a wrinkle to everything.

I made it through my challenging Day 3! Here are my meals:

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/3 red pepper, 1/3 orange pepper, 1/3 yellow pepper, 2 mushrooms, 1/4 red onion - all cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil; coffee

Mid-Morning: Coffee #2

Meal 2: Leftover chili from the previous two nights with an avocado

Meal 3: 8 oz. grass fed NY strip steak, 1 red pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, 2 portabello mushroom caps - all cooked in 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil; 1 handful olives

I felt good for most of the day. I went to the baseball game and brought my 3rd meal with me last night. My friends got a good kick when I pulled out my ziplock bag full of my steak stir-fry in the 4th inning. I felt pretty hungry when I got home from the game around 10:30 or 11, but drank a glass of water and fought off the urge to snack before bed.

Day 4 Meals:

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/3 red pepper, 1/3 orange pepper, 1/3 yellow pepper, 2 mushrooms, 1/4 red onion - all cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil; coffee

Meal 2: 8 oz. grass fed NY strip steak, 1 red pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, 2 portabello mushroom caps - all cooked in 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil; 1 handful olives (leftover from night before)

Pre-WO: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado

Post-WO: 8 oz. chicken breast, 1 sweet potato

Meal 3: Shrimp Curry - 8 oz. shrimp, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 zucchini, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, coconut milk, fish sauce (red boat), red curry paste (Thai Kitchen)

I felt good throughout the day and in my workout yesterday. Day 5 will be a day full of leftovers. It will also be the first time I'm eating out - I have a work lunch today. I have been scouting out menus for the past couple days, so I think I'll be ok.

Day 5 and 6 went well - As I'm wrapping up the first week, I'm feeling really good. There are definitely times where I'm a little bit hungry - especially before bed. But I've done a good job not snacking at those times.

Day 5 Meals:

Meal 1: Breakfast Broccoli Hash (From the guide) - 5 eggs, 8 oz. ground turkey, 1/2 head broccoli, 1/2 cup green onions, 1 tbsp coconut oil, coffee

Meal 2: Spinach and Kale salad with red and green peppers, sweet potato, asparagus, avocado, hard boiled egg, roasted chicken, and 1 tbsp olive oil

Pre WO: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado

Post WO: 1 can tuna, 1 sweet potato

Meal 3: Leftover shrimp curry (from the night before)

Day 6 Meals:

Meal 1: Leftover Breakfast Broccoli Hash, 2 cups of coffee

Meal 2: Leftover shrimp curry (from the night before)

Pre WO: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado

Post WO: 8 oz. chicken breast, 1 sweet potato

Meal 3: Coconut-crusted salmon (8 oz. salmon crusted in unsweetened coconut flakes), 1/2 bunch broccolini cooked in garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil, and 1/2 tomato chopped

Two thoughts from these two days. First, the breakfast broccoli hash from the book tasted a bit bland. I think it might be good with chorizo (one of the suggestions), but with the ground turkey, I didn't like it so much. Second, I am getting better at bringing my food with me. I went to my nephew's 2nd birthday party yesterday (filled with pizzas and ice cream). Instead of putting myself in a tough spot there, I found out the menu ahead of time and packed my leftover shrimp curry when I realized there would be no good options.

This next week will be challenging too - I fly out tonight (day 7) for a couple days on business this week, so it will be only eating out. Then it's barbecues on the 4th. But I feel good and motivated to keep going strong!

Finished up Week 1 strong! I woke up yesterday and had a nice breakfast. Afterwards, I went to a yoga class to recover from a crazy week at my Crossfit box. I ran a bunch of errands and then hopped on a plane to Florida last night for work the first 1/2 of the week. I also noticed that I looked slimmer in the mirror. I've lost a lot of weight since I started Paleo and Crossfit in February, but I seemed to plateau and could never lose that last bit to fully see my abs. Well after 1 week of Whole30, I can tell I made significant gains and my abs are starting to show. :)

Here were my meals for Day 7

Mid-Morning: Coffee #2 from Starbucks

Meal 2: Leftover Coconut-crusted salmon from Saturday's dinner

Meal 3: My flight was at an awkward time for dinner (6-8:30). So I stopped on the way to the airport and picked up a salad from Chop't - Spinach and Kale, steamed broccoli, red/green peppers, cucumbers, hard boiled eggs, avocado, and grilled chicken. I ordered olive oil and fresh lemon juice on the side. I ate it mid-flight and it was delicious!

I also stopped at a Whole Foods down here on the way to work this morning to pick up some essentials to supplement my meals for the next 2 days:

- 2 avocados (for my lunch salad - the salad bar is good but doesn't have this essential ingredient!)

- 2 mini serving size packs of organic coconut butter (for my morning fat serving to go along with my scrambled eggs with spinach, mushrooms, peppers, and onions)

- 3 cans of tuna packed in water (for my pre and post workout meals on Monday night - 1 before and 2 after)

- Organic pumpkin (for my post workout carb dense veggie)

- Larabars (in case I need a snack for some reason)

The cafeteria at my work office is great for breakfasts - they'll do custom egg dishes. It also has a great salad bar option for lunch. I'm looking up dinner options for tonight and tomorrow, but I'm determined to make it through these 2 days Whole30 compliant!

Day 8 (on the road):

Meal 1: 4 egg omelet with red and green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach; serving size packet of coconut butter; coffee

Meal 2: (Salad bar) Spinach salad with 2 1/2 hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken, raw peppers and onions, broccoli, cucumber, 1 avocado, dressed with olive oil

Pre WO: 4 oz. can of tuna, serving size packet of coconut butter

Post WO: 6 oz. can of tuna, package of organic pumpkin

Meal 3: (ate out at Season's 52) Salmon grilled on a cedar plank, roasted veggies (asparagus, carrots, beets), side of steamed broccoli

I'm having a harder time getting good fats on the road. I don't seem to have a problem with the protein and veggies. So I guess I just need to plan and have some nuts or coconut butter to supplement a meal.

Today's dinner will be at an awkward time again (I fly from 6:45 to 9:15). I'm going to try to stop somewhere before I get to the airport. Otherwise, it's 2 Larabars on the plane. I can't wait to be home and back on a routine.

Day 9 (still on the road):

Meal 1: 4 egg omelet with red and green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach; coffee

Meal 2: 1/4 rotisserie chicken, 1 sweet potato, steamed broccoli

Airport Snack: Larabar

Meal 3: Salad from Whole Foods - Spinach and kale, hard boiled eggs, shredded chicken, avocado, peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

I'm glad to be home and back to a normal routine. Last night I spent an hour once I got back in my apartment cooking for the next couple days.

Happy 4th Everyone! Glad to be back in town and 10 days down!

Day 10:

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/3 red pepper, 1/3 orange pepper, 1/3 yellow pepper, 1/3 red onion, 3 mushrooms, coffee

Mid-Morning: Coffee

Meal 2: Steak Stir Fry (8 oz. grass fed steak, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 orange pepper, 1/2 yellow pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, 3 mushrooms cooked in 1 tbsp olive oil), handful of olives

Pre WO: 1/2 avocado, 5 oz. tuna

Post WO: 8 oz. chicken breast, 1 sweet potato

Meal 3: Chili (8 oz. grassfed ground beef, 1/4 yellow onion, 1/4 orange pepper, 1/4 crushed tomatos cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil), 1 avocado

Thanks Lainey!

Day 11 (4th of July):

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/3 red pepper, 1/3 orange pepper, 1/3 yellow pepper, 1/3 red onion, 3 mushrooms cooked in coconut oil, coffee

Post Run Snack: Larabar

Meal 2: (4th of July BBQ) Pulled Pork with a homemade Whole30 BBQ sauce in a leaf of romaine lettuce, sweet potato with chili powder and lime juice, homemade Whole30 avocado/mango salsa, watermelon

Meal 3: Leftover chili

Going to the BBQ wasn't as hard as it'd normally be. It was at a Crossfit friend's house, so there were many paleo options there. A few of those options had non-Whole30 compliant ingredients, so I just stayed away from them. I also had to have a snack because the BBQ was so late. I ate breakfast around 8:30 am and went for a run at 11:30. The BBQ wasn't until about 3, so I had a Larabar around 1:00 to hold me over until I got there. It was a good day though. I used to find myself picking at food constantly at BBQs, so I felt good having a good Whole30 meal at a BBQ.

Day 12:

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/3 red pepper, 1/3 orange pepper, 1/3 yellow pepper, 1/3 red onion, 3 mushrooms, coffee

Mid Morning: Coffee

Meal 2: Leftover chili with an avocado

Pre WO: 2 eggs scrambled, 1/2 avocado

Post WO: 8 oz chicken breast, sweet potato

Meal 3: 8 oz. grassfed steak, mango avocado salsa, side of asparagus (recipe here: http://everydaypaleo.com/ginger-beef-with-mango-salsa/)

I made a ton of the steak recipe for dinner, so I'll have lunch and dinner leftovers for the next few days. It is also something I can eat cold with no problems, which works out well for tonight. I will be out all evening starting around 3 pm, so I'm just going to pack up a serving of the steak dinner in a cooler and eat it around 8 pm.

Day 13: 

Pre WO Meal: 2 eggs scrambled, 1/2 avocado

Post WO Meal: 8 oz. chicken breast, sweet potato

Meal 1: Baked Eggs with Spinach & Tomatos (http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/05/baked-eggs-with-spinach-and-tomatoes/), Coffee

Meal 2: Leftover steak with mango/avocado salsa and a side of asparagus

Meal 3: Leftover steak with mango/avocado salsa and a side of asparagus

Day 14 (today):

Meal 2: Leftover steak with mango/avocado salsa and a side of asparagus

Meal 3: Thai Curry Chicken (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/50912676835/thai-curry-chicken)

I made a ton of the Thai Curry Chicken so I'll be having that for lunch tomorrow and Tuesday, and for dinner tomorrow.

Day 15:

Meal 1: Leftover Baked Eggs with Spinach and Tomatos from Day 13, Coffee

Meal 2: Leftover Thai Curry Chicken from Day 14

Pre WO: 2 hard boiled eggs, handful of macadamia nuts

Post WO: 8 oz. chicken breast, sweet potato

Meal 3: Leftover Thai Curry Chicken (Like I said, I made a ton of this!)

It feels great to be halfway through. I feel fantastic and I think I look a ton better too. As I said at the beginning, I have been working out at a Crossfit gym and eating paleo-style for 5 months now, so my body has already seen a great transformation. However, it seemed to plateau before I could fully reach my goals. Now, I'm feeling as if I'm getting going again. I have a ton of energy. I feel like I'm eating a ton at each meal, but I'm not snacking anymore. My workout times have been great recently. I just feel good! I'm excited for the next 15 days and beyond!

Day 16:

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1 red pepper, 1/2 red onion, 4 mushrooms all cooked in coconut oil, coffee

Meal 2: The last of the leftover Thai Curry Chicken :)

Meal 3: Paleo Tacos with Purple Cabbage Slaw (http://everydaypaleo.com/cooking-demo-paleo-tacos-with-purple-cabbage-slaw/)

The 2nd half of this week will be tough. My fiance's birthday is tonight, so we're going out to dinner. Then I'm traveling for work tomorrow and Friday. Finally, I'm coming back on the weekend and it's my birthday - so we'll go out to dinner again. So it'll be a lot of eating out over the next 4 days. I think I've found a pretty good balance with that. It's just about knowing what my meal options will be in advance and reading menus (and of course asking the servers tons of questions!). 

Finally, I decided to turn this Whole30 into a Whole38. I started doing all of this to get into kick-ass shape for my wedding in September. I realize the health benefits are amazing, but to be honest, my first motivation was being in the best shape of my life for pictures on my wedding day. :) My bachelor party falls 1 week after my Whole30 ends, and I fully realize that I'm not going to be able to follow a Whole30 compliant lifestyle at my own bachelor party. That said, I might as well extend this for 1 more week and reap the benefits. So I'll keep this going until the day I leave for the beach that weekend.

So yesterday started the 4 day gauntlet of eating out. I've scoured menus though, and I feel like I'm staying compliant so far. I also had a ridiculously good Crossfit WOD yesterday and a great workout session in my hotel gym today after work, so I'm feeling good. Here are my meals the last two days:

Day 17 (yesterday):

Meal 1: Baked Eggs with Spinach and Tomatos (recipe on day 13)

Meal 2: Leftover Paleo Tacos from Day 16

Meal 3: Went out for a birthday dinner with my fiance - I had 4 oysters for an appetizer. For an entree, I had a duck breast cooked in olive oil, salt, and pepper. For sides, I had steamed asparagus and cauliflower - it was delicious.

Day 18 (today - on the road):

Meal 1: Leftover baked eggs with spinach and tomatos (before I left on my plane this morning)

Meal 2: Spinach salad with chicken breast, hard boiled eggs, cucumber, red/green peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, and olive oil

Post WO: Carved turkey from the lunch stand today, 1 sweet potato

Meal 3: Went out to dinner with a coworker - I had crab ceviche with some shrimp, jalapeno peppers, other veggies, in a citrus broth. For an entree, I had grilled salmon over sauteed spinach and steamed asparagus

I fly back home tomorrow night and then we're going out for my birthday on Saturday. So I have a few more meals out before I get back to a normal schedule. But I'm feeling good almost 20 days in!

Day 19 (still on the road):

Meal 1: Eggs cooked in olive oil, peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach; coffee (from the office cafeteria omelet station)

Meal 2: Carved turkey, sweet potato, broccoli, handful of macadamia nuts

Airport Snack: Larabar

Meal 3: Spinach & Kale salad, peppers, cucumber, broccoli, shredded chicken, avocado, olive oil, balsamic vinegar (I stopped at Whole Foods on the way to the airport to avoid the crappy airport food)

It feels good to be back home. I'm not on the road again for 2 weeks, so I'm looking forward to getting into a nice routine to round out the 30 days!

Day 20:

Pre WO Meal: 2 hard boiled eggs, handful of macadamia nuts

Post WO Meal: 8 oz. chicken breast, sweet potato

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 orange pepper, 1/2 red onion, 5 mushrooms all cooked in coconut oil; Coffee

Meal 2: Steak Stir Fry (8 oz. grassfed steak, 1/2 yellow onion, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 orange pepper, 5 mushrooms all cooked in olive oil)

Meal 3: I went out to eat for my birthday. The whole table split some appetizers - I only had a couple pieces of shrimp, a couple oysters, and a handful of olives. For dinner, I had short ribs over spinach sauteed with garlic.

I'm glad to be over halfway done. I see myself eating differently afterwards and not falling off the wagon, but I also would like a little bit of flexibility, such as having a glass of wine with dinner occasionally. I'm off to the grocery store now with my meals from Week 4 planned. :)

I hope all is going well for you and your husband PoeticallyChallenged! :)

Day 21:

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 orange pepper, 1/2 red onion, 5 mushrooms all cooked in coconut oil; coffee

Post Yoga Class: I was hungry after yoga before lunch so I ate a Larabar

Meal 2: Leftover steak stir fry from Day 20 and a handful of macadamia nuts

Meal 3: Steak & Chicken Fajita Bowl (cooked up a bunch of steak and chicken - I had about 4 oz. steak and 4 oz. of chicken, and ate it with a bunch of peppers and onions, homemade salsa, and homemade guacamole)

Day 22

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/4 red pepper, 1/4 orange pepper, 1/4 yellow pepper, 4 mushrooms all cooked in coconut oil; coffee

Meal 2: Leftover Steak & Chicken Fajita Bowl

Pre WO: 2 HB eggs, Macadamia Nuts

Meal 3: Leftover Steak & Chicken Fajita Bowl

Snack: I was really hungry last night, so I had a handful of nuts

Day 23

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 1/4 red pepper, 1/4 orange pepper, 1/4 yellow pepper, 4 mushrooms all cooked in coconut oil; coffee

Meal 2: Leftover Steak & Chicken Fajita Bowl

Pre WO: 2 HB eggs, Macadamia Nuts

Meal 3: Chili (recipe from first week)

Day 24

Meal 2: Leftover Chili topped with avocado

Meal 3: Leftover Chili topped with avocado

Snack: I was hungry last night and had a handful of macadamia nuts and some dried mango

I have noticed that I tend to get really hungry on non-workout days. The 3 meals plus the pre/post WO meals are great for me on days that I workout, but the 3 meals alone are not enough on non-workout days. So I think I'm going to start throwing a 4th mini-meal in - the same form as a Pre-WO meal. I have been snacking the past couple times, but if I formalize it with some nuts and a 1/2 portion of protein, I think that'll work nicely.

Day 25:

Lunch: I went out to eat with work colleagues to a Pancake House. I had an omelet with red and green peppers, broccoli, onions, and spinach

Pre WO: HB Eggs and macadamias

Post WO: Chicken breast and sweet potato

Dinner: Orange Ginger Salmon with a side of asparagus (http://paleomg.com/ginger-citrus-salmon-cucumber-orange-salsa/)

Day 26

Meal 1: 5 eggs, 2/3 red pepper, 1/3 yellow pepper, 1/3 red onion, 5 mushrooms all cooked in coconut oil; coffee

Meal 2: Leftover orange ginger salmon

Pre WO: HB Eggs and macadamias

Post WO: Chicken breast and sweet potato

Meal 3: Last of the leftover orange ginger salmon

For some reason, I was very sluggish in my workout yesterday, which doesn't happen very often. I already worked out this morning and felt normal. Maybe I got less sleep than normal on Thursday night since I didn't have a change in my pre/post workout routine.

Archived