Meal prep questions

I've already completed my first Whole30 with amazing results.  Like amazing!  Well I'm on my next Whole30 and having more trouble.  I did not take a day off or anything and I have not had anything that was not Whole30 compliant except for veggie/fruit smoothies made with compliant ingredients (not daily) and regular ketchup (less than a tablespoon a few times a week).  I haven't had the desire to go off plan, but I've not been as good with the meal templates.  I have had too many snacks and too much fruit I think.  The problem comes down to meal planning I think.  My breakfast ends up being too small and then I'm hungry early and snack and I'm not planning ahead enough.  So...that ends now, but I need some help.

There are some foods I have frequently.  I was wondering if they can be prepped ahead of time for the week or will they wilt/go bad/taste weird, etc.  Can you help me?

- Raw Ground beef - how many days will defrosted grass fed ground beef be good for in the freezer?

- Cooked ground beef - if I cook some ahead of time, how many days is this good for?

- Sweet potato - will peeling it and cutting it into chunks affect it at all?  can i do this for a week's worth with no problem

- Are there any veggies you've noticed that get particularly wilty/slimy/less appetizing if cut up ahead of time?  I was thinking of chopping a bunch of onions, peppers, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cucumber to have for the week.  The cucumber I notice sometimes gets slimy so I may only do that for a couple days worth.

I think I also need to have some chicken cooked at all times and some hard boiled eggs.  If I have needed a snack, I have been having snacky food like fruit and nuts rather than a real meal.  I need to change that and it will be easier to change that if I have something as a back up ready to go.

Any other tips?  I'm not craving or wanting to veer from Whole30, I'm just having trouble with the planning/effort/cooking part. 

Thanks!

- Raw Ground beef - how many days will defrosted grass fed ground beef be good for in the freezer?

Are you asking if you thaw the meat how long will it last in the fridge or how long can you keep it in the freezer before thawing and cooking?  As far as keeping it raw in the fridge, I don't go more than 2 days before cooking.  Ground meat is good in the freezer for 3-4 months.

- Cooked ground beef - if I cook some ahead of time, how many days is this good for?

Mine lasts for about 4 days at most

- Sweet potato - will peeling it and cutting it into chunks affect it at all?  can i do this for a week's worth with no problem

I roast mine in the oven in either thick slices or chunks.  They last about 4 days as well once cooked.  As far as not cooking them, they will turn color once peeled and cut so I wouldn't recommend this.

- Are there any veggies you've noticed that get particularly wilty/slimy/less appetizing if cut up ahead of time?  I was thinking of chopping a bunch of onions, peppers, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cucumber to have for the week.  The cucumber I notice sometimes gets slimy so I may only do that for a couple days worth.

The only veggies I would not cut up ahead of time are the cucumbers and unless you plan on eating the peppers within a few days, I would pre-cut them either (you could precut them and freeze and pull out when you want to add them to a dish you are cooking).

I found this site for food storage guidelines that may help you out too....http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/FreezerChart.htm

I do 2 dozen eggs at a time for hard boiled--although I do mine in the oven, I also do my ghee in the oven as well ala Susan. I would probably do a round of egg muffins -- the one in the muffin tins, not the place with the arches! or a frittata because of the ease in the morning. 

For me, I only slice up no more than 2 days worth of peppers--if I want longer than that, i will roast them

I'm on a weekly schedule for my foods and have rarely had any issues. I do my cooking on Friday and Saturday, and sometimes still have stuff to finish up on the following Sunday (so ~8 days). The only thing that did not keep that long was riced cauliflower, and dishes with frozen brocolli started to smell funny after about 5 days.

So here's what I cook on a regular basis, that easily lasts me a week:

Whole baked sweet potatoes

Peeled hardboiled eggs

Hamburger/turkey burger patties

Beef and pork roasts

Tons of various stews and casseroles with ground beef, sausage, chicken or pork chops; zucchini, carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, butternut squash, eggs, canned mushrooms, and/or canned tomatoes.

I also chop up a ton of zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and occasionally red peppers every week and those have lasted a full week as well.

Thank you.  I have a personal problem in that I hate reheated meat so I have to just prep the stuff to be cooked.  I also don't like reheated egg.  I have tried a frittata and the egg muffins (several recipes) and while I like them fresh, I don't like them reheated in the microwave or the toaster oven.  Sigh.  I am okay with soups or stews reheated though.  Maybe I should try a casserole.  Thanks!

For sweet potatoes (I only use the orange flesh ones with brown skins; I think there is some regional terminology difference), I always peel the whole thing at once, but I often only use half of it at a time (the ones I buy are GIANT, like the size of my face). I just put the leftover half in a Ziploc or plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge, uncut. Lasts a few days no problem.

Lol..put one lb of butter in an oven proof dish. 300 degrees uncovered. One hour and ten minutes later. Strain through cheese cloth. Boom..ghee. :0)

No way!!!  And I don't have to keep watching those little bubble change??? I know how I am making my next batch!!  :D

Archived