Ketchup, bacon/sausage, and smoothies

Elliottsmama

I don't know where to put this question.  Sorry if this is not the best forum for it.  So I know regular ketchup is not Whole30 compliant because of the sugar in there.  I know smoothies are not forbidden, but are strongly discouraged.  I didn't have either doing my first Whole30.

I'm on my second Whole30 and have added the above things in in moderation.  I was finding it difficult to eat a large breakfast and was feeling sick to my stomach after eating only a little bit.  I find having a smoothie does not do the same thing to me.  It does not seem to make me crave either.  If I'm making it with mostly veggies (spinach, kale, carrots, cucumber) and a little fruit (1/2 banana or a few frozen strawberries) and coconut milk, would you say this is an okay food?  I mean I know everyone has to figure it out for themselves, but just asking.  I'm drinking it along with my protein and it's not a meal replacement.  Only for breakfast a few times a week.  The ketchup question is just simple...do you think the small amount of sugar in less than a tablespoon of ketchup will have any impact?  I have tried to make my own ketchup several times and I just don't like it.  I have a hard time eating eggs without ketchup and just that tiny amount makes is appetizing for me.  What do you think?

Lastly, I just got some pastured pork for the first time.  I ordered a sampler pack and will be ordering a whole pig in the fall when they are available.  Well, the sausage and bacon came with some sugar in them.  I didn't know it came like that.  Oh well.  My question is, do you think I can safely eat these or should I be avoiding them?  I only have 1 lb of each so I'm all out until fall after that anyway.

I know the book says to reintroduce dairy, gluten, legumes, etc and see how you react.  For me, I'm happy eating the Whole30 way, but want to make slight adjustments for convenience/availability's sake.  Like the sugar in the ketchup for bacon because I have been unable to find an alternative.  I don't need either of them of course, but I really don't like eggs without one of those.  We are traveling by plane to a wedding for a week and I'm stressing about food choices.  I will make the very best choices I can and I am so pleased with my weight loss that I don't plan to treat the vacation and as all you can eat week which I would normally do.  I won't be able to control the soybean oil in restaurants or the hidden sugar in the breakfast or whatever.  Are those little things not a big deal?  I mean I don't plan to order a cake or pizza, but I will have to eat and I won't be able to control every ingredient.

I'm scared to go off program, but then it seems silly to worry about a tablespoon of organic ketchup, doesn't it? 

Thanks for your help.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're doing a Whole30!

It sounds like you're starting to ride your own bike and make your own choices and decisions based on what you learned from your first W30. You did the program as written and are now figuring out how to make it sustainable for YOU.

bacon and sausage with a little sugar in it that came from pastured pork? a VERY good choice for every day life, It's just not Whole30

organic ketchup? I'd rather you make your own, but if you don't want to waste your time, it's not going to kill you. It's just not Whole30

You're right; most of these things aren't that bad in general, they just happen to violate the W30 rules, so they're out.

Personally, I think you're ready to get off the program and make your own choices, lady! :)

I should have clarified...I have continued doing a strict Whole30 except for the ketchup.  I haven't yet had any of the sausage or bacon.  I know that whole30 plus ketchup isn't whole30.  I just meant that I was continuing without adding in dairy, legumes, grains, etc.  The smoothie I've only had a couple times and it wasn't technically non-compliant.

My weight loss was the biggest pro and motivator.  I'm just worried these tiny deviations will impact that, but I don't have a logical explanation as to why 20 calories of ketchup 4 times a week or veggies pureed instead of whole every so often, would impact it.  Am I being scared for nothing or is there a legitimate reason to continue to avoid these things?  I don't have to have them. 

I don't have to do Whole30, but I want to mostly do it and do not want to lose the progress I've made weight wise and cravings and all that.  I guess I shouldn't say I'm doing my second Whole30 if I'm not 100%. 

I guess what I should have asked is rather than adding in dairy, legumes, and grains which have potential to impact how I feel and my weight, do the things I mentioned seem to also have that potential?  Does a tiny amount of sugar in ketchup or sausage impact weight loss?  I assume I would notice if it makes me crave or something, but short of that, should I worry? 

Obviously I'll have to just see what works for me, but a little nervous straying from 100% and wanted some logical reasoning to help me out.

Thanks again.

You're being scared for nothing. :)

Post Whole30, if the sugar in bacon or sausages, or a Tbsp of ketchup is the worst thing in your diet, you're doing just fine! If you notice your results slowing, or cravings coming back, then you know what you've gotta do, but carry on with your bike riding! You're doing a good job!

Had a mod not chimed in, I would have written much the same thing: it sounds like you are riding your own bike, being very strict but allowing some small tweaks for your personal tastes and conveniences.  And your tweaks really are small... as long as your smoothies don't become multi-mango-banana-extravaganzas....  :)  Best of luck in your continued journey!

If this is all you've added back, you're doing great, long term.  If your weight loss slows or stops, then I'd take them out again.  Might I suggest plain tomato paste in place of ketchup?  I have tried several paleo ketchup recipes and wasn't happy with any of them, even when I added a date for sweetness.  AmyS suggested the tomato paste, and she was right!  I find it needs just a little salt, but the sweet, tomato-y flavor is all there.  I'm fine with it on scrambled eggs, and love it with a burger.

I like tomato paste so much that when strictly Whole30ing, I've actually asked myself if it was a food without brakes for me.  :lol:   That said, this is an awesome thread and I really appreciate this perspective on how to proceed with reintroduction in a way that works well for you.  (Also, I'll be at your house for breakfast tomorrow.  Set an extra place.)

Archived