Official Start date 6/18/13

jsmphoto

No garden, unfortunately, I had one years ago, when my kids were little, and a giant strawberry patch. Since we moved here 11 years ago between the poor soil (mostly wet clay), many hungry critters and working full time, it's just too hard. However, I do have a nice little herb garden and belong to a wonderful CSA. The farm where I get my CSA also has a farm stand not far from my house that's open 7 days a week. I'm happy to be supporting the small farmer since I know there's no way I can keep up with a garden at this point in my life.  

I work from home as well, so I can put something on to cook and turn or stir it now and again, or toss in a few loads of laundry, which makes domestic life a bit easier.

Do let me know on the bone broth. I've been wanting to try that.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else feel like crap yesterday! I really did feel like I had the flu. I made the beef bone broth in the pressure cooker. It worked really well at making it very tender, it fell right off the bone after 90mins, probably a little too long. I am not sure about the recipe because nothing tasted good to me yesterday. I am still slightly queasy today and nothing sounds good. Hope this passes soon!

Thanks for the curry recipe Joload30. It sounds great. I did not get around to making the cauliflower rice as I just didn't feel good and nothing sounded appetizing. Will try to get to it today as I really overbought the cauliflower (one head of yellow, one of purple, and one of the green broccoflower). 

This is my second round on Whole30.  I am doing pretty well.  I started with "It Starts With Food" last time and made the transition to really enjoying

this way of eating.  However, I didn't have the body results I wanted, including increased bloating, and decided to try another month.  This time I bought the Whole30 Guide e-book and discovered a number of things that were probably causing problems. I was still snacking, probably because I wasn't eating enough.  I equate the higher fat content with "too much" and don't really eat enough to get me through 4-5 hours until the next meal, including the preparation time.  And my snacks were a version of go-too food, nuts, dried and fresh fruit and nut butters.  So, I have taken that out. 

I didn't think I was taking little cheats, but I was!  A couple glasses of wine, not asking about fats in restaurants, etc. I really enjoyed the post on the stages of grief around changing eating patterns.  That helped me recognize emotional patterns too.

I also just started Crossfit to get a regular workout regime with which to use calories.

Good luck everyone!

Good morning all! Day 5 and still going strong. Going to be a long day as I'm supporting two teams in a 34-mile ultramarathon, but I planned ahead and have my own cooler of Whole30 compliant food. Also, although I have not been snacking, I'm probably going to have to today, so have some good, healthy snacks as well. My daughter was helping me get everything together last night, and had the various boxes and bags of the foods they need at each stop, and put a label on mine that said, "Mom's sad snacks." It was pretty funny. At the time, there was just a tin of sardines in there, so that's why she labeled it as "sad" compared to the fully loaded coolers and boxes everywhere.

Anyway, Mike, hope you're feeling better today. Mercy, glad you're back on track -- yes, wine, not enough food, not enough fats, that makes it tough to follow the program -- good that you figured it out. Peace out, everyone, have a great day!

Great job everyone!

One note- if caffeine withdrawal headaches are making you miserable, consider keeping coffee in your diet in moderation. Coffee (without sugar or creamer of course) is totally Whole30 approved. I have mine iced with a splash of canned coconut milk in it.

Hope everyone is feeling great and changing their relationship with food for good!

Hi everyone.  The hubby and I are still going strong and on Day 7.

I'm feeling pretty great but my husband says that he is constantly hungry.  I mentioned that maybe he needs to be eating more fat but he says that he is already eating a lot.  He is probably eating the same or maybe more than I am.  He says that he is full at the end of a meal but by a couple hours later he is starving and his stomach is growling.  Any ideas?

Meal example:

Dinner last night was salmon with a bit of coconut butter on top, a huge heap of cauliflower rice that was prepared in a lot of coconut oil & ghee, about a cup of yellow zuchinni that was prepared with a decent dose of coconut oil (they were definitely glistening), and for him a whole avocado and several leftover buffalo chicken tenders.  Most of his meals have been similar to this (at least that's what he tells me) so I don't really understand why he is getting hungry so quickly.

He is having a sweet potato everyday and a couple servings of fruit since he is still working out quite a bit.  He mostly runs & swims but is also lifting a couple days a week.  I'm not sure if maybe he is getting too much of the carby/sugary stuff or not enough.  In addition to the being constantly hungry, he is very cranky the past couple of days.  If anyone has some ideas on what he might need to change up in his eating, please share.

Hi, hope everyone had a great weekend! I am feeling much better. I also noticed that I have lost belly and chest fat, so am feeling better about myself. 

Kelly, I tried cooking my eggs with the refined coconut oil and it did not have the coconut flavor. Much better!! My wife bought me a jar of Ghee, but it tastes bad to me, maybe it is rancid. I am going to try making my own clarified butter before eliminating it completely.

LisaG, it sounds like volume-wise and macronutrient-wise, your husband is eating a decent amount of food. When he says he's hungry 2 hours later, you should have him do the 'steamed fish and broccoli' test that the Hartwig's describe in their book. Whenever he thinks he's hungry (even if his stomach is rumbling- that can be digestion as well) he should ask himself if steamed fish and broccoli would satisfy him in that moment. If not, he's not really hungry, and should do something to distract himself. If it does appeal to him, he's actually hungry and should go eat some protein and fat, but try to avoid carbs. If you're craving sugar and you give your body sugar (even if it's fruit) all your brain knows is it asked for sugar and got it. As for the crankiness, try to find the Whole30 timeline they posted a few days ago. It describes, in an often humorous way, what each day is like. And I seem to remember there being a couple of cranky days in the first week. 

Thanks beachchica.  I'll remind him of the steamed fish and broccoli thing.  And I read the timeline and his crankyness did pretty closely coincide with the timeline of when some people experience that.  I didn't experience it myself but I think he had enough of it for both of us.

I find the steamed fish and broccoli thing very useful so far has kept me from snacking. Day 9 here in England for me and the sun is shining woot!!! The next three days will be training and I will have biscuits and sweets to ignore. I don't want to break it. Also out for a steak tonight... Nom it comes with bead and chips so will call ahead and see if I could have veggies instead and if they do sweet potato. O and they serve it with a glass of champagne ðŸ˜ðŸ˜®

I made paleo rogan josh last night with cauliflower rice, the rogan josh was awesome but my rice was more like cauliflower purée, I think I blended it for too long.

How are other day 8's and 9's going?

Hello Everyone -- I'm back, after 3 incredibly hectic days in which I barely had time to breathe, much less post. But it's all done and behind me and I'm back to normal schedule. 

Mike - what brand of coconut oil? I'm thinking that might make a difference. 

Joload -- you may find this video helpful:  http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2012/05/the-fastest-way-to-rice-cauliflower-video/

That's the method I use and it always comes out well. In fact, I'm going to make some later today. I also put a big sieve in the sink to drain it as I go along.  

BeachChica and Lisa G -- I agree with what BeachChica said -- how's your hubby doing Lisa?  Mine is not doing this with me, although he eats what I eat when he's home for meals. His work would make it impossible to follow this WOE unless he stopped eating most of the day!  Not an option!  

Have a great day, everyone!

Thanks for asking Kelly.  He actually was doing a lot better yesterday.  Maybe he was just in the Kill All Things phase and wouldn't admit it.  When I asked him if that was what he was feeling and let him know that it was normal he replied that he didn't want to kill anything that he was just pissed off and that he felt hungry constantly and he was getting stressed out.  I didn't want to correct him that I think that's what they meant by Kill All Things (irrationally angry).  I just tried to not say much of anything to him Sunday and then yesterday he was in a much better mood.  Hopefully today his good mood continues.

So June 18 was also my restart date.  I had started on 5/29/13 originally made it to day 15 and was doing awesome.  Then my daughter had a birthday and I went to an Irish Catholic wedding.  (much food and spirits were available.) and I made the choice to pertake.  I have never in my life regreted eating whatever I want... Until that 5 day stint... I was sluggish, bloated, swollen and downright sick...  I started again and within two days I was feeling better.  When I was on day 13 the first go round I had a doctors appointment. I weighed in at 205 the day I got back from the wedding I was 213.  I am back in my stride I have not weighed myself (rules you know...) but it is amazing how great I feel. 

Hi Kelly,

The coconut oils are both Spectrum brand organic. The Virgin Coconut Oil says Unrefined for Medium Heat (it has the coconut taste), the other just says Coconut Oil Refined for medium high heat (no coconut taste). I think I remember reading that the refining takes the taste away.

Have you found a good stir fry sauce that is whole30? I tried the one in Well Fed. It was good but entirely different from a Chinese restaurant type brown sauce.

My wife made one of my favorite recipes last weekend, Pork and Parsnips. It is from the Betty Crocker's Cookbook and we have been making it for years (it is completely Whole30 compliant). It says to put the parsnips on top of the pork, but if you tuck them around the pork they get carmelized and are wonderful.

PORK WITH PARSNIPS

4 pork loin or rib chops, about 1/2 inch thick

3 medium parsnips. cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices

1 medium onion. sliced

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 medium apple. Cut into 1/4-inch wedges

Cook pork chops in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until brown on both sides. Place parsnips and onion on pork. Mix chicken broth, mustard, salt, allspice and pepper; pour over vegetables. Heat to boiling: reduce heat. Cover and simmer until pork is done. 35 to 40 minutes. Arrange apple on vegetables. Cover and cook just until apple is tender, about 3 minutes.  4 servings; 360 calories per serving. 

Hello Everyone - my life is still crazy, so much going on right now and tons of work, but I wanted to take a moment to check in. 

Glad to hear your hubby is doing better, Lisa! Men are funny about admitting how they really feel (I'm not cranky," he snarled!).

Welcome Fuzzy! 

Mike -- that sounds delish -- thanks. I love parsnips. Thanks for the tip on the coconut oils as well, my supermarket carries Spectrum brand, but I was under the impression we are supposed to avoid refined oils? Am I mistaken?  

I do not have a stir fry sauce, but I made a stir fry yesterday that was really good. I stir-fried onions and some leftover zucchini and yellow squash in ghee (set at about a 7  on my electric stove burner), stirred in some cauliflower rice I had made earlier in the day, stirred in some leftover, cooked chicken thighs, poured a couple of tablespoons of coconut aminos over it all, mixed it up and ate it. It was nummy. Definitely a keeper. 

I'm making beef shanks today, they're in the crock pot now. I just sort of made up my own recipe for that, slow cooking beef ain't exactly brain surgery, so I'll let you know how they turn out. Beef shanks tend to be very reasonably priced and I'm a marrow lover. 

Have a great day, everyone! I'm hoping my life slows down a bit after tomorrow, which will be the craziest day of all! 

That's a great receipt thank you Kelly! I will be trying that next time I get a cauli. I felt this morning more energetic with a slight burst or speed walking to work not my usual saunter. Not quite tiger blood though. I am not inspired for dinner tonight at all at the moment... I just want to sit in the nice sunshine now as its rare its out in the uk and whip up an omelette maybe later.

Here's to double figures tomorrow day 10 approaching woot!

Good for you, Joload! I'm going to visit the UK in Sept! You can have our sun -- it's been over 90 here for more than a week and so humid you can't breathe when you walk outside. Not to mention the crazy afternoon storms!  Still, at least it's not snowing!

So, day 10...I'm feeling really good, I'm pretty sure I've lost weight, I definitely am less bloated, and I really like this way of eating. Having said that, I don't have sugar issues, I don't like sweets, but I'm pretty sure I can't give up corn on the cob or potato chips forever! 

Oh, and my beef shanks turned out great! I made extra so I'd have lunch leftovers for the next couple of days. When I'm super busy like this I like to have something I can just nuke and eat. I made sliders for lunch yesterday, using Penzey's Arizona Dreaming spice, which gave them a nice Southwestern flair. They were so cute and dippable! Makes burgers seem like a whole new meal!

Have a great day, everyone!  

Uk in september is generally nice , schools Full on rain today, wasn't even forecast so my washing got even more wet :(

I have been hungry all day wanting to snack on something sweet. Not sure of it is day 11 blues or what. A small handful of cashews after my lunch helped but think I am going to have to have an early night to stop the urge getting the better of me.

Dinner tonight was sweet potato cottage pie. Mmmm vey nice.

Looking forward to tomorrow as no work and a pedicure and a lime and ginger exfoliation coming my way! Woot!

Right off to bed and to drawn the blackout blind to pretend it is dark at 8pm!!

Good morning, everyone! How are you all doing? Hanging in there, I hope. Life is starting to settle down for me after a crazy, crazy week, which I'm very glad of. And should be pretty chill through the end of next week and the 4th of July holiday.  

Have a good day -- and keep checking in -- it's like crickets in here!

I haven't checked in in quite a while, I'm a 6/18 starter too.  So, day 10 and still going well!  This is probably the longest I've stuck to any healthy eating plan without starting to slip into old, bad habits and choices.  I'm SOOO proud of myself!  My downfall has always been ICE CREAM, and by golly my daughter asked me to scoop her an ice cream cone last night and I didn't even want to lick my fingers when I was done!  It was like the stuff just didn't appeal to me.  Completely amazing, considering I was addicted to it 11 days ago.   She's so cute, I jokingly told her "Really Kylie, you are shoving a whole carton of ice cream at me when you KNOW it's my downfall??"  She said "Oh my gosh mom, I'm SOOOO sorry, I didn't even think about that."  And I told her "I'm just kidding, I'm GOOD, I really don't even want any!!"

I cooked all day last Sunday and made 3 meals in the slow cooker that we can eat throughout the week, it's really helped me to have the RIGHT food around so I don't make any bad choices out of desparation of nothing paleo to eat!

I am SURE I have lost weight, my tummy has shrunk and my clothes are fitting me better.  My calves don't look so huge in my cropped jeans, either!  SCORE!

Good for your Horsegirl -- congrats on your success!

I am sorry to say that I was not able to get through the day on the program yesterday. There was nothing to be done. I was in a situation where I was at an event with my husband's new big boss, his wife was very invested in the food/drink, and it would have been a negative issue -- and very obvious -- if I had not eaten and drank what was there.

I don't feel bad about it. It is what it is. It's good to eat that way when you can, but sometimes it's simply not possible to keep it up in the real world. As healthy of a WOE as it is, it is undoubtedly very restrictive once you step outside your own home. 

But everyone else keep going. I'm getting back to it today and still consider myself a member of this group, although there don't seem to be many of us left!

Going off plan as long as you have the right attitude (and yours is great) seems fine. After my 30 days I think at the moment I will be on plan in the week and not so struck at weekends. My thoughts now anyway on day 14. Just getting ready for 2 Sunday morning fitness classes. Body attack and spin class then we have a nice BBQ planned for this afternoon if the sun shows an appearance that will be nice.

I am feeling ok seem to be sleeping loads a lot more than the usual 11 til 6, yesterday it was 11 til 9 zonked without and stirrings or loo calls.

How is everyone else? Any good recipes to share?

Archived