Need ideas for foods that don't have multiple non-whole30 ingredients

sahmomto2

I'm on day 29, so reintroduction starts on the 19th for me. I'm planning to reintroduce raw milk first, because it's easy to add a glass to a meal. I can see pasteurized milk not being all that difficult, either, as I can buy plain yogurt or cottage cheese that's just cream, milk and culture. After that I'm a little stumped.

Say I want to try wheat next. How can I add in wheat without also adding in other things at the same time and not knowing what I'm reacting to if there is a reaction? Crackers, bread, cookies, pizza crust... They're all going to have other ingredients in them as well, like yeast, sugar or corn syrup, flavorings and preservatives, etc. I'm sure there's something I could eat that's just wheat, but I can't think of what it would be. Maybe make a porridge out of wheat berries?

Is there a list somewhere of ideas for adding in foods that only have one ingredient that isn't w30 compliant?

Do you have the ISWF book? In the reintroduction chapter, it lists suggestions.

For example, when evaluating gluten-containing grains, it suggests a whole-wheat bagel, a side of pasta, and a dinner roll.

I get what you're saying. I think most people assume when you eat wheat products, it's the gluten or wheat itself that causes the reaction. You could try just eating bread, bagel, pasta etc...and if you have some sort of reaction that you want to puzzle out, you could try a similar product in a gluten-free version?

Thanks, Chris. I do remember reading that, now that you mention it, but I also remember thinking when I read it that it would be difficult to find a whole-wheat bagel or dinner roll that doesn't have a sweetener or something else non-compliant. I thought the idea was to just add one ingredient at a time so as to know what you're reacting to? I guess I could add a bagel, and then if I have a reaction, add something with sugar and not gluten, then something with gluten and not sugar, so as to tell which I'm reacting to? I'll keep thinking. I'm sure it will come to me.

I get what you're saying. If you have the food in question 3 times in one day, you're overloading on that food group (where you previously haven't had it at all for at least 30 days). Also, the idea is to introduce something new every 4 days while keeping the rest of you diet whole-30 compliant. on a sugar day, you could put sugar in your coffee/tea, have some dark chocolate, and maybe a slush?

Couscous is a "pasta" made out of the wheat grain. Interestingly enough, while gluten usually equals immediate horrible stomachache and diarrhea for days for me...I only had a mild stomachache the time I ate it, thinking that it wasn't wheat (I was in Spain, so I didn't have access to my mobile internet...ugg...). Definitely an easier wheat to eat on me, maybe for you?

Archived