A Nervous Newbie's First Post and the Acronym "YOLO"

madiepea

Hello Whole30 Fam!

My name is Madie, I'm 18 years old and I recently began my very first Whole30 (I'm on Day 8, going strong!). I finally mustered up the courage to post something here and I'll try not to make it too lengthy for those of you who are currently reading this.

I thought of a lot of different things I could write, but I decided to go with why I decided to embark on this 30-day journey.

Why did I decide to embark on this 30-day journey? Well, because, YOLO.

The phrase “yolo†(You Only Live Once) is commonly used by people around my age in order to validate their brash decisions that generally involve substance abuse, ridiculously poor food choices, or potentially embarrassing actions that they will later regret. I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone say, “yolo†before deciding to do something unhealthy, and I'll admit that I have done it too. It's a security blanket, an “it's okay, just do it anyway†allowance. You only live once, so you might as well throw back ten shots or eat twelve Twinkies because, hey, you may not get the chance to do that if tomorrow never comes.

I have decided that I want to have a different definition of yolo. I will only live once, and that means I should make the most out of the life I have by prolonging it, living it as healthfully and happily as I possibly can. I want to improve my physical strength, cook amazing-tasting meals that don't make me feel sick afterwards, and be a fit, strong, and empowered young female.

As we all know, It Starts With Food. After just 8 days on the Whole30 I am noticing improvements in my sleep patterns and more definition in my abs which I have been wanting to see for months. I don't have any weight to lose, I'm in good physical shape and I didn't eat too unhealthily before I started the Whole30, but I still have my goals. I'm looking to improve my sometimes precarious relationship with food, to learn to say “no†to processed, icky snacks, and to prove to myself that I can do this, all out, without cheating, for 30 days.

I'm not sure what I'll be when I grow up, but I know that I want to live a long and happy life that I am proud is my own. The Whole30 has invigorated my passion for healthy eating and fitness, and I'm so excited for the day I will get to post about my completed journey.

You only live once. I'm going to live healthily and feel empowered by the good choices I make, rather than justifying my bad ones with a silly acronym.

Best of luck on your Whole30 endeavors  :) 

-Madie

Madie! So awesome and cool! Yes, healthy and strong is cool! If you've figured that out at 18, you can rule the world. Your world, anyway. :)

I'm going to share your post with my daughter. She is only 11, but interested in sports and health. You will be someone she will really look up to.

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to hear more!

Madie! So awesome and cool! Yes, healthy and strong is cool! If you've figured that out at 18, you can rule the world. Your world, anyway. :)

I'm going to share your post with my daughter. She is only 11, but interested in sports and health. You will be someone she will really look up to.

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to hear more!

What a touching post! Thank you so much, megmac :)

Marie - I LOVE your post! You have an amazingly mature thought process (even for ppl much older than you!). And I like the term YOLO (I'll admit I haven't heard it before!), but I love your definition for it! YOLO so W30 on!!! :0)

~Christina

www.facebook.com/PracticingPrimal

Marie - I LOVE your post! You have an amazingly mature thought process (even for ppl much older than you!). And I like the term YOLO (I'll admit I haven't heard it before!), but I love your definition for it! YOLO so W30 on!!! :0)

~Christina

www.facebook.com/PracticingPrimal

Thank you Christina! :)

-madie

Archived